• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research Klipsch RP-600M Upgrade Review (speaker)

Rate this speaker mod:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 40 20.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 118 61.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 23 12.0%

• Total voters

YSC

Major Contributor
Jokes on you I run fullrange drivers with a tube amplifier. If this were 100 BC I would have been crucified or stoned to death on the ASR forums for saying this LOL.

And I thought the Klipsch RP600M were pretty good but I wasn't in love. I gave my honest opinion.

Moreover, the high end Klipsch speakers are grossly overpriced and I'll never have a chance to listen to a pair. Some people say that the high end stuff is truly Klipsch and the low end is generic.
I would say the RP600M V2 is pretty decent, but not really top pick for the price, I am not a fan of their house sound anyway

kokakolia

I would say the RP600M V2 is pretty decent, but not really top pick for the price, I am not a fan of their house sound anyway
I just find it amusing how the Klipsch RP600M paired with the Yamaha RN402 amplifier steered me into tubes and fullrange drivers.

The overall sound of this Yamaha/Klispch system is very lean. You feel like you're lacking a lot of bass and body in acoustic tracks which aren't outwardly bassy. So you end up listening to a lot of electronica and hip hop because it sounds 'better' with this system.

YSC

Major Contributor
I just find it amusing how the Klipsch RP600M paired with the Yamaha RN402 amplifier steered me into tubes and fullrange drivers.

The overall sound of this Yamaha/Klispch system is very lean. You feel like you're lacking a lot of bass and body in acoustic tracks which aren't outwardly bassy. So you end up listening to a lot of electronica and hip hop because it sounds 'better' with this system.
IMO that's just how limited or mediocore the Klipsch is, as a new comer not locked to the old audiophile mix and matching thing I tend to get some actives with decent bass extension and balanced FR, which in my own choice with no regret was to get the Genelec entry level 2.1 setup paired with EQ APO to tackle my horrible gaming desktop in a tiny room. IMO a system is bad when it will steer you into certain genere as their house sound boost here or there, while an ideal setup in house able to let you enjoy all music genere as it's as transparent as possible without excessive boosting of certain bands.

kokakolia

IMO that's just how limited or mediocore the Klipsch is, as a new comer not locked to the old audiophile mix and matching thing I tend to get some actives with decent bass extension and balanced FR, which in my own choice with no regret was to get the Genelec entry level 2.1 setup paired with EQ APO to tackle my horrible gaming desktop in a tiny room. IMO a system is bad when it will steer you into certain genere as their house sound boost here or there, while an ideal setup in house able to let you enjoy all music genere as it's as transparent as possible without excessive boosting of certain bands.
To be fair the Klipsch did highs well and bass decently well. There was just something missing. It could have been the entry level Yamaha amp which didn't deliver the goods in terms of bass and lower mids.

I noticed that the Yamaha amp paired with my fullrange drivers didn't deliver much bass either. When switching to the tube amplifier the fullrange speakers woke up. Perhaps a more sophisticated A/B amplifier like the Atoll IN80 would accomplish the same thing as the tube amplifier for less hassle and cost. I don't know. And that's besides the point.

In hindsight, the RP600M and RP600M-2 have a pretty good and balanced FR. The FR is comparable with competing products. One should understand the measurements better and/or experience the speakers themselves with a good amplifier (not a POS Yamaha amp).

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
POS Yamaha amp
erm... I've had the opportunity to compare ~40 Yamaha, Luxman, Harmon Kardon, Sony and Pioneer integrated amps and receivers from 35w/ch and up in a sound room with a switchbox and ~40 pair of speakers for several years and the lower end Yamaha amps are very good until one starts pushing for higher power output and then a 80 watt/ch amp or a up to 120 watt/ch starts to slightly sound a bit better on the bottom end. The difference when the volume is medium and lower is very very slight if not at all discernable unless twisting the variable loudness a lot and adding bass in quantity. The Yamaha product is pretty good and for the expense of it it is outstanding product.

YSC

Major Contributor
To be fair the Klipsch did highs well and bass decently well. There was just something missing. It could have been the entry level Yamaha amp which didn't deliver the goods in terms of bass and lower mids.

I noticed that the Yamaha amp paired with my fullrange drivers didn't deliver much bass either. When switching to the tube amplifier the fullrange speakers woke up. Perhaps a more sophisticated A/B amplifier like the Atoll IN80 would accomplish the same thing as the tube amplifier for less hassle and cost. I don't know. And that's besides the point.

In hindsight, the RP600M and RP600M-2 have a pretty good and balanced FR. The FR is comparable with competing products. One should understand the measurements better and/or experience the speakers themselves with a good amplifier (not a POS Yamaha amp).
if you don't do a in room measurement to illustrate the comaprison I think it's a meaningless debate, there are a dozen or more things in a real room to create all those impressions, a non-flat speaker in a who knows how good room with unknown room modes impression don't tell anything. If you are just comparing in your own place it's completely irrelevant to anyone else with arrangement different to yours. Even the same music at same room with same gear can sound different when I am nervous and suffers from high working pressure vs. a leisure holiday with a cup of coffee. The Amp likely don't really metter much but all you need is see if it's mismatched in impedance or power for your SPL, any amp with reasonable flat FR within the spec power should be enough to not change the sound

tvih

erm... I've had the opportunity to compare ~40 Yamaha, Luxman, Harmon Kardon, Sony and Pioneer integrated amps and receivers from 35w/ch and up in a sound room with a switchbox and ~40 pair of speakers for several years and the lower end Yamaha amps are very good until one starts pushing for higher power output and then a 80 watt/ch amp or a up to 120 watt/ch starts to slightly sound a bit better on the bottom end. The difference when the volume is medium and lower is very very slight if not at all discernable unless twisting the variable loudness a lot and adding bass in quantity. The Yamaha product is pretty good and for the expense of it it is outstanding product.
Yeah.... even my Yamaha RX-V667 AVR certainly has no lack of bass, as much as various "audiophiles" always want to ridicule me for ever daring use such a device with high-end speakers. Quantity, control, "texture"... all there. Well, at least in my small room, dunno if someone tries to use one in a concert hall or something. But not like Klipsch is an unsensitive speaker in terms of driving it, at least compared to my 85dB speakers, and thus should provide decent volume without choking out even in a quite a bit bigger room than mine. Personally I'm normally using less than 10Wpc even in the highest peaks with the 85dB speakers.

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Americans Jokess on you I run fullrange drivers with a tube amplifier. If this were 100 BC I would have been crucified or stoned to death on the ASR forums for saying this LOL.
As did I at one point--a 2A3 SET that belonged to my roommate. I then bought an $8 TPA3110 board. Even sighted,I could not tell the difference. The combo sounded very nice, but I also know that I have a very adaptable brain when it comes to FR. I'm sure it was far from flat. However, even I don't like the Klipsch speakers I've heard, with the exception of the full size horns--the "real" Klipsch.

noiseangel

Jokes on you I run fullrange drivers with a tube amplifier. If this were 100 BC I would have been crucified or stoned to death on the ASR forums for saying this LOL.

And I thought the Klipsch RP600M were pretty good but I wasn't in love. I gave my honest opinion.

Moreover, the high end Klipsch speakers are grossly overpriced and I'll never have a chance to listen to a pair. Some people say that the high end stuff is truly Klipsch and the low end is generic.
We are heading back to 100BC sooner than you think. :D. Crucifixion first offence.

kokakolia

To highlight my statement: "Some people will prefer gen 1 over gen 2". Now, I'm not here to argue that the reviewer is right or wrong or stupid. These are his honest thoughts.

ThoFi

if you don't do a in room measurement to illustrate the comaprison I think it's a meaningless debate, there are a dozen or more things in a real room to create all those impressions, a non-flat speaker in a who knows how good room with unknown room modes impression don't tell anything. If you are just comparing in your own place it's completely irrelevant to anyone else with arrangement different to yours. Even the same music at same room with same gear can sound different when I am nervous and suffers from high working pressure vs. a leisure holiday with a cup of coffee. The Amp likely don't really metter much but all you need is see if it's mismatched in impedance or power for your SPL, any amp with reasonable flat FR within the spec power should be enough to not change the

the Klipsch RP600m vs a „flat“ Harbeth in-room FR

1657035851539.png

if you don't do a in room measurement to illustrate the comaprison I think it's a meaningless debate, there are a dozen or more things in a real room to create all those impressions, a non-flat speaker in a who knows how good room with unknown room modes impression don't tell anything. If you are just comparing in your own place it's completely irrelevant to anyone else with arrangement different to yours. Even the same music at same room with same gear can sound different when I am nervous and suffers from high working pressure vs. a leisure holiday with a cup of coffee. The Amp likely don't really metter much but all you need is see if it's mismatched in impedance or power for your SPL, any amp with reasonable flat FR within the spec power should be enough to not change the soun

YSC

Major Contributor
the Klipsch RP600m vs a „flat“ Harbeth in-room FR

View attachment 216613
Ok, first I assume the full range drive is not the Harbeth in the measurement.

But from my very noob intrepretation in this graph, the bass isn't really lacking in the Klipsch, rather it seems that in the upper bass from 100-200hz range there are a few nasty dips possibly due to room modes, where quite some bass music will goes into those regions, I expect that placement/room issue is what actually causing those 10-20db dips. and that the 200-1khz range is considerable shot up compared to the trough in the 1.5-3.4khz vocal range, which likely makes certain vocal sounds something missing or maybe lacks sparkle sticking out. Assumed this measurement is the one with the GR research mod it looks like sensible to me that it feels lacking in something in your impression.

While for the full range driver I guess your placement of it won't be exact as the klipsch so maybe the room modes are in different region or not as severe in the listening position, if someone more knowledgable can chime in would be better. if you get the Harbeth in this setting I would guess it would also sounds like it don't do bass well either

kokakolia

But from my very noob intrepretation in this graph, the bass isn't really lacking in the Klipsch, rather it seems that in the upper bass from 100-200hz range there are a few nasty dips possibly due to room modes, where quite some bass music will goes into those regions, I expect that placement/room issue is what actually causing those 10-20db dips. and that the 200-1khz range is considerable shot up compared to the trough in the 1.5-3.4khz vocal range, which likely makes certain vocal sounds something missing or maybe lacks sparkle sticking out. Assumed this measurement is the one with the GR research mod it looks like sensible to me that it feels lacking in something in your impression.

While for the full range driver I guess your placement of it won't be exact as the klipsch so maybe the room modes are in different region or not as severe in the listening position, if someone more knowledgable can chime in would be better. if you get the Harbeth in this setting I would guess it would also sounds like it don't do bass well either
To be clear: my room placement was poor due to the annoying shelf TV unit in my room. The speakers were placed horizontally and above the TV. Sound was noticeably better sitting in the sofa facing the speakers. Bass and vocals were lacking somewhat and I experienced ear fatigue after 1 hour. I'll be moving at the end of the year to a new build flat. I'll be using speaker stands.

And yet, I feel like my OGY run circles around the Klipsch. There's just more body, bass and vocal energy. I don't even want to use a subwoofer (The REL T5x was never unboxed), the 1/4 wave transmission line gets the job done. Even with the poor room placement. To me the Klipsch sounded like more refined car speakers, you always know that you're listening to speakers.

ThoFi

My measurements in my room at listening position.
Both speakers at the exact same position.
Klipsch RP600m mk1 — €500
Harbeth SHL5+40An — €5.500

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
My measurements in my room at listening position.
Both speakers at the exact same position.
Klipsch RP600m mk1 — €500
Harbeth SHL5+40An — €5.500
Ok, so that’s not kokakola’s measurement and unrelated to the comments made above

YSC

Major Contributor
To be clear: my room placement was poor due to the annoying shelf TV unit in my room. The speakers were placed horizontally and above the TV. Sound was noticeably better sitting in the sofa facing the speakers. Bass and vocals were lacking somewhat and I experienced ear fatigue after 1 hour. I'll be moving at the end of the year to a new build flat. I'll be using speaker stands.

And yet, I feel like my OGY run circles around the Klipsch. There's just more body, bass and vocal energy. I don't even want to use a subwoofer (The REL T5x was never unboxed), the 1/4 wave transmission line gets the job done. Even with the poor room placement. To me the Klipsch sounded like more refined car speakers, you always know that you're listening to speakers.
Jus searched a bit about the ogy speaker, it looks like it don’t have the klipsch mid range valley and bass extends lower on paper
934A3E54-5225-4099-B205-4C0D1BE7ECC0.jpeg

So no wonders it do sound better with the vocals and bass. Imo it’s not related to the amp you used or tubes but simply when driven with enough power, that is a more neutral and accurate speaker

beagleman

Major Contributor

Saying this in a polite way......

You seem to lack understanding of how things work.
You seem fixated on these "Full range" speakers you speak of.

When someone starts calling out amps by brand name, and calling them a POS, your credibility goes WAYYYYY down.

I have owned many brands of amps, and if anything, as long as one is not pushing them into distortion etc, they tend to all sound much more towards the same, than totally different.

beagleman

Major Contributor

You are sounding like you are trying to use this thread to promote this OGY speaker you keep brining up.

We get it, you think a 4" full range speaker with literally no crossover, is the cats meow, and is perfect.............:facepalm:

Top Bottom