• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research B24 AC Cord Review

Rate this AC Cable

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 371 95.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 12 3.1%

• Total voters

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
You and your nerdly friends go ahead on, do some audibility testing for fun.

Not sure why so much attitude, but you can dial that back.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
This is what @SIY asked you to begin with. Is it a or b or something else. The objective determines the test design. And @amirm and the discussion clearly was about A).
So if everyone else posting is asking question A why do you keep answering in reference to question B?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So if everyone else posting is asking question A why do you keep answering in reference to question B?
I did not, at least I am not aware of it then and it certainly is not my intention. DualTriode thinks one has to use “large populations” and one can not do a controlled test with 1 person at home. Do you have me confused?

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I did not, at least I am not aware of it then and it certainly is not my intention. DualTriode thinks one has to use “large populations” and one can not do a controlled test with 1 person at home. Do you have me confused?
Yup, that was intended for Dual Triode. Sorry!

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
There's no need for a large sample population when the goal is for one person to see if they can tell a difference. The sample population can be one since only the one cares about the result. What does matter, IME/IMO, is doing enough test runs over enough time to determine (or convince myself) that there is, or is not, a difference that can be heard. How well a test is controlled is not determined by how many try the test, though the outcome might be. In the case of a guy (gal, whatever) sitting at home trying to decide if DAC A or DAC B sounds better, all it takes is careful matching of level and a different hand on the switch (could be a computer-controlled switch, natch). You could listen in mono with one DAC (or whatever) on the left and one on the right channel, just toggling between left and right, for example. I used to have a simple relay for switching power amp outputs (actually a pair of DPDT relays with a load resistor on each so the amp was not driving into an open) controlled by a simple logic circuit that randomly selected the output and kept track in the box with LEDs. These days I'd use a Raspberry Pi or something and a program to keep track for me (I had to manually open the box and record the LED settings back then , several decades ago).

Since this thread is about power cords, I think they are hard to test. Not because just measuring a power cord is hard, that's easy, but because of all the "what if" conditions people will ask for and claim make a difference. Current draw, amplitude and frequency of direct (from the wall socket) and impinging noise, interaction with the wall source and component (impedance, etc.), etc. So many ways for people to say "well, you did not test my system, so it doesn't apply, and I know what I heard". That is where a single-person test comes in handy.

Last edited:

droid2000

I haven't read this whole thread on a simple power cable, 37 pages so far lol, but I can unequivocally say $350 for a power cable is completely ridiculous. I'll sell you one for only $300.

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have never grabbed your wife.

And you have no idea whatsoever what you're talking about. I don't say that for your sake (the Dunning Kruger is far too strong) but for the sake of anyone else who might take any of that nonsense seriously.
I recall your post about some red light project where you told of including your wife in A X B testing

dima_pro

There is quite a "fight" happening right now in YouTube. Honestly not worth your time.
There is no shortage unfortunately of..hm...you got it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I watched it and read some of the comments. For a guy who measures speakers for a living, it is odd that he can't measure the noise coming out of audio equipment with his cable vs another. Good news is that he produced this video because he is getting challenged with mine. So we are making a difference.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't read this whole thread on a simple power cable, 37 pages so far lol, but I can unequivocally say $350 for a power cable is completely ridiculous. I'll sell you one for only $300.
Or you can just get one for free in the box with the audio equipment you buy. Actually, it’s not free. $1.00 of the BOM has gone to the cord.

dima_pro

Good one.

In the meantime I'm out to change power cable for my MRI scanner. I might hear a difference if it's resolving enough.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I really don't see how he defends his position with straight face:

1. He measures crossovers/mods but never listens to them. You would think with difference being so audible, he would listen.

2. He listens to cables, but doesn't measure! Here, the differences are likely to be very small so better measure to be sure there is some difference.

I don't know how he sells this to his viewers/customers. They must close their eyes and ears and believe him.

diddley

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
well i appreciate Danny for staying a gentleman, and not let himself go out of control.
He speaks about 200 hours of break in and then at the end of the video he says plug it in and soundstage will open en veils will be lifted...
I hope everybody keeps this on a proffesional level.even though Danny is telling some rubbish in order to sell his cables.

C. Cook

I really don't see how he defends his position with straight face:

1. He measures crossovers/mods but never listens to them. You would think with difference being so audible, he would listen.

2. He listens to cables, but doesn't measure! Here, the differences are likely to be very small so better measure to be sure there is some difference.

I don't know how he sells this to his viewers/customers. They must close their eyes and ears and believe him.
Saw a comment over at that most recent YouTube vid asking him if they'd be providing double blind listening results. I doubt it gets an answer.

C. Cook

And now I see accusations of deleting comments.

YouTube comments are public and anyone can reply to a comment that you post. If you can't find a comment after you get a notification, it's possible that the comment has already been removed. Comments can be removed by the original poster, the channel owner, or for policy violations.

Geert

Major Contributor
Good news is that he produced this video because he is getting challenged with mine. So we are making a difference.

Unfortunately he discredits your video where you explained electromagnetic fields around disconnected cables again, and looking at the comments a lot of people buy it. Convincing them would again require a follow up video with for example a heavilly stressed power amp with linear power supply connected, showing high charging current peaks.

napfkuchen

comments under the reply-video:

1685170790158.png

These guys are "clearly" on a higher OT level so their claims have higher authority. Shunyata might also have some better insights into research because of their spiritual buddhist enlightenment. Time to stop arguing and accept scientific defeat.

Top Bottom