• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research B24 AC Cord Review

Rate this AC Cable

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 373 95.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 13 3.3%

• Total voters

Cougar

You can get this or similar 6 ft or 10 ft 14 awg hospital grade UL-cert cables from Amazon for like $17 or less. And it won't destroy you outlets or gear nor weigh too heavily on it.

View attachment 218065
I used to work for a medical company that were getting rid of extra items they didn't want any longer. They were tossing a bunch of these same Hospital grade cables so I grabbed a few and work great with a good grip. Notice the Ground Pin.

Cougar

That U-shape is common. NEMA 5-15P these and others are at Home Depot.
View attachment 218071View attachment 218072
The longer Ground Pin is standard on Hospital Grade AC Plugs. No worries cause the outlets they mate to which are Hospital Grade are designed to accept this longer ground pin. Industrial AC Plugs and outlets are like this too. These are made to fit tight and will see scratches on the prong due to this. So most likely this is what is on that power cable from GR.

Last edited:

Xii-Nyth

Gonna buy this for high frequency antenna testing, will write off the cost to the grant people. Surely not just gonna sell the copper

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The longer Ground Pin is standard on Hospital Grade AC Plugs. No worries cause the outlets they mate to which are Hospital Grade are designed to accept this longer ground pin. Industrial AC Plugs and outlets are like this too. These are made to fit tight and will see scratches on the prong due to this. So most likely this is what is on that power cable from GR.

Making ground contact first (on insertion) and breaking it last (on extraction) is always a good thing.
The biggest issue is the plastic sleeve around the actual plug though in the case of this cable.
When one uses a 'tight fitting' plug one has to make sure one can push it in, not have the outer part slide forward. Very poor construction.

Xii-Nyth

Omg I spotted the Tb3 black manta next to the cables o_O

Attachments

• ARTICLE-POWER-LINES-KEN-PFEIFER-TRIANGLE-7-6-16-255543274.jpg
    ARTICLE-POWER-LINES-KEN-PFEIFER-TRIANGLE-7-6-16-255543274.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 52

egellings

Major Contributor
I wonder if all these fancy power cords have the proper UL or CE safety approvals.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If someone actually likes the benefits of low resistance, high noise rejection etc. - even if it is just for the peace of mind of using high quality components - you can look into outdoor, in-wall, PV, off-shore, live-event or marine cables for example. You can get the benefits of a heavy duty cable, without paying an arm and a leg for some uncertified DIY project.

I personally like to buy my own C13 cables, so I can get the exact length and connector angle. That just helps cleaning keep things looking tidy.
Yes, high quality; but then all your music will sound industrial.

Lambda

Major Contributor
Scammers, rip off artists and low life's do not bother with getting UL certified. They just want the money!
"Supply and demand"
Obviously there is a demand for overpriced snake oil... if someone would want to pay me 300€ for a cable like this i would happily delver.
if he wants to pay 4€ i can also give him a cable for 4€ .
but if he wants to pay 40000€ that's also fine for me.

Placebo works but only as long as you don’t know its a Placebo.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Yes, high quality; but then all your music will sound industrial.

Damn!, if that’s the case then I’m heading to the industrial electrical supplies to get some fat 3 phase 415v cable, my system is gonna sound epic when I play industrial Berlin techno

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I voted for Waste of Money (duh), but I agree with those who think these goofy audiophile power cords can be dangerous.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
you can only play it right on funktion-one system...

Like this system below? (bad pic, I’ll try to find the others on my various hd’s), we ran/organised the electronic music tents at our local festival Wickerman Festival and always insisted on using Funktion-One systems and always the same sound engineers year on year, I’ve attended far too many gigs and festivals where the sound quality was so very poor as to make it painful and unlistenabl, We won a few awards for the quality of the sound which really had nothing to do with us (apart from financial input) as it was down to having good engineers behind the desks who knew what they were doing and more importantly the didn’t just treat it as a job. Being a festival we made sure they were well looked after ;)

It was one of those engineers that I still keep in touch with who advised on treatment and speakers/sub in my room and he set it all with dsp/rew etc, not quite Funktion-One level of sound but good enough.

52247319861_4d5d4c7855_k.jpg

DDF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The day was fine. It was the evening that was ruined interacting with you defending complete nonsense about gauge of ground wire in an AC cable solving problems. Somehow you forget the tens if not hundred feet of wire behind the wall. That wire is 14 gauge and you think a 6 gauge AC wire of a few feet makes a difference in total impedance?

Now, it is not like you gave us many examples of how your solution works. Or measurements. You just throw out an argument hoping it sticks. Well, it didn't.

Of course Tom is right. This:
"I found it very interesting that I could improve the unbalanced mains noise by 10 dB by either using a much heavier gauge AC cord, or running a ground wire from my power bar earth ground directly to the output jack ground. "

When the metric for success around here is sky high SINAD, it would be disingenuous and lack internal logic to argue against @tomchr advice in this

Back to your regularly scheduled program of passive pre-amp measures at full volume, which bypasses the volume element

Last edited:

pma

Major Contributor
Some seem to have troubles to trace where the loop responsible for additional interference voltage is closed ;).

sqml

none of you guys can tell different sound from high performance power cord? some do sound different. Im not joking

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
none of you guys can tell different sound from high performance power cord? some do sound different. Im not joking
I'd investigate my amplifier, if that was true. If it is properly designed there should be no difference.

Top Bottom