• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research B24 AC Cord Review

Rate this AC Cable

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 371 95.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 12 3.1%

• Total voters

CapMan

Major Contributor
What is it called in English, not to walk around the bush? Beat the bush
We “don’t beat around the bush” in the UK - presumably it’s origin is something to do with hunting and driving fowl out of the undergrowth by hitting the said bush :)

The UK three pin plug has an overlong earth pin that opens shutters on the socket for the live / neutral pins - it’s a safely feature . I wonder if GC was trying to emulate this!

I really dislike heavy cables , especially signal cables . As you say , the mechanical strain they put on connectors is crazy. But hey - if it helps sell cable lifters so be it

brandonhall

Forum Donor
I'm incapable of understanding how a person can fall for this type of product. The logic simply doesn't add up.

Although they don't appear to matter, you can at least make a reasonable case for speaker cables making a difference.

CapMan

Major Contributor

I once tried a Belles amp from this outfit and they supplied some of their home brew Coherent cables for the demo - man they were like hose pipes. Still £2750 for a 2m mains lead , must be good right ?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm incapable of understanding how a person can fall for this type of product. The logic simply doesn't add up.

Although they don't appear to matter, you can at least make a reasonable case for speaker cables making a difference.
It's a illusion of more is better. Some people think when they plug into the wall socket that there is pure power there and so any conductor connecting from there to a component/device must be humungous and have special properties to ensure and continue the purity of the power. Some people have vivid imaginations and they believe products must be beneficial.

Ageve

The null test is really good, since the standard audiophile argument always is "But there is a difference. You just can't measure it with your test tones...".

You can't hear a difference that doesn't exist. It's hard to argue against that, but I'm sure Danny will try.

I've done similar tests by recording the signal in Adobe Audition (you need to sync the files at sample level) and comparing to the original FLAC/WAV-file (CD-players, cables etc). With cables, the difference has always been inaudible (inverted mix paste in Audition). It's harder with CD-players because of clock differences, but it works with short recordings (often no audible difference).

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The null test is really good, since the standard audiophile argument always is "But there is a difference. You just can't measure it with your test tones...".
Well, that is still the case, isn't it ;) We still can't measure the supposed difference :facepalm:;)

DanielT

Major Contributor
Danny is a superb bullshitter. The GR Research B24 AC Cord appears to be about the same size as a rat snake. How fitting! I wonder how many AC connectors/receptacles have been cracked and broken by inserting and leaving these AC cords hanging from the AC connectors.
Danny is not stupid. He adds a disclaimer in his video. That is, you must have a good enough HiFi system to be able to hear the difference. What a good enough HiFi system is, of course, never defined.

nsfgp

These B24 power cord use the same "Kimber-look-alike" 12TC speaker cable GR sells inside (w/ cotton cord in middle too) with a 14GA ground wire braided together. If you believe those Ali-express 12TC speaker cable are the same cable then cost for this thing is probably around $10-15 max. Labor on top of course for stripping all those 26 strands total.
If we can actually see what is inside this B24 power cable then we can see how the ground wire is actually braided together with the 12TC cable (I have no info on this).

DSJR

Major Contributor
It's a illusion of more is better. Some people think when they plug into the wall socket that there is pure power there and so any conductor connecting from there to a component/device must be humungous and have special properties to ensure and continue the purity of the power. Some people have vivid imaginations and they believe products must be beneficial.
There is a hard core of audiophiles that firmly and passionately believe they can hear things that measurements don't pick up. Who cares that many western proponents of these thoughts are 50 plus males with natural age-degraded hearing... Maybe in the far east there are younger audiophiles who can hear everything below 20khz as clear as can be. There's got to be something wrong you see, when they buy expensive tweaks and swear blind they heard an improvement with them when more rational audio people can't tell, especially when blindfolded.

My top mains cable feeding the distribution block in the main system came from a small UK outfit 'Mark Grant Cables). A metre or so is around fifty quid and appears well made and to use good 'standard' parts with a highish current mains cable. No foo, no bullsh*t that I could see and it's done well for several years or so now. The cables from the block are either the gear's own captive cables or short IEC male to female leads (oh, but of course IEC plugs and sockets are devils work and screw up the sound, so no wonder I couldn't tell any difference...).

mk1classic

Just a side note...

Too bad one can't use one of these cables on the new Topping DM7 DAC...
You can't operate the power switch with an end termination of this size..

1657701339388.png

index.php

delta76

Major Contributor
@amirm , how does it feel, knowing that despite you putting endless effort into debunking all of this snake oil shit, there is probably zero effect. All of those magic cords and magic boxes sellers will still find enough gullible music loving folks.

I go to some local forums here in EU and this is usual first post of a new member "I have bough Denon xx + Monitor Audio yy, which cables do I need to buy to remove bloated bass". I sometimes think, this hobby is beyond redemption.

It really seems, that there are 2 parallel universes with completely different laws of physics, one normal and another one in audiophile's listening room. This includes IT, where for some reason audio files behave completely differently to the rest.
I disagree. While there will always be diehard "Cable believers", and there will always be people without critical thinking that were led to believe, but there are more people who can be convinced otherwise. ASR did a great job exposing these snake oils, and would help many of these people to understand where and what they should (or should not) spend money on.

Enjoying better music while wasting significantly less money, isn't that better for the world?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Just a side note...

Too bad one can't use one of these cables on the new Topping DM7 DAC...
You can't operate the power switch with an end termination of this size..

View attachment 218053

index.php
You can although you can't access the switch anymore.

Lambda

Major Contributor
Are you sure you can just overlay the curves like this?
As we know we can't red off exact levels from the fft plot because of fft gain and Scalloping loss window function an so on...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Are you sure you can just overlay the curves like this?
As we know we can't red off exact levels from the fft plot because of fft gain and Scalloping loss window function an so on...
Neither FFT gain nor windowing impact the pure tones in that graph. That is the purpose here. So yes, I am very sure.

fordiebianco

Forum Donor

Lambda

Major Contributor
gain nor windowing impact the pure tones in that graph. That is the purpose here. So yes, I am very sure.
but we don't care about pure tones...
We care about the noise or noise rejection
t. As shown though in green line, even if you used any of these AC cord as an audio interconnect, their noise still be inaudible!!!

Top Bottom