• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Got new tv with EARC, need help deciding AVR with some restrictions.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wasn't the "issue" with downconverting feeding it multich pcm when only 2ch had content? Is that a real world situation?

OP
S

Scubaduderon

Wasn't the "issue" with downconverting feeding it multich pcm when only 2ch had content? Is that a real world situation?

Not exactly sure. Ive been told it won't happen to me when I feed 2 channel audio via toslink.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not exactly sure. Ive been told it won't happen to me when I feed 2 channel audio via toslink.

Yes I would only expect the issue if feeding it 5/7 channels with only 2 having content....if I remember the issue correctly....

OP
S

Scubaduderon

Yeah, kinda obscure but to a newb like me, I don't know hoe to weigh the issues...

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
No, the bug happens when you assign only two front speakers to your AVR configuration. Let's say you only have two physical speakers and that is your configuration in an AVR. Then you have rising noise and distortion (not sure if both, but one for sure).
But if, still having only two speakers, you assign all the 11 speakers in an AVR, even though you don't physically connect them, then you will not have the bug. You can still play 2ch content fine, but in that case it would be hard to downmix mch content to 2ch, if not impossible. Of course, it is better to connect all the speakers you have.
So the problem that remains is if you want to play mch content on two speaker configuration. But, why would you do that??? Then go buy stereo integrated amp.

OP
S

Scubaduderon

No, the bug happens when you assign only two front speakers to your AVR configuration. Let's say you only have two physical speakers and that is your configuration in an AVR. Then you have rising noise and distortion (not sure if both, but one for sure).
But if, still having only two speakers, you assign all the 11 speakers in an AVR, even though you don't physically connect them, then you will not have the bug. You can still play 2ch content fine, but in that case it would be hard to downmix mch content to 2ch, if not impossible. Of course, it is better to connect all the speakers you have.
So the problem that remains is if you want to play mch content on two speaker configuration. But, why would you do that??? Then go buy stereo integrated amp.[/QUOT

Thank you for your explanation. The reason I need to know about 2 channel is about 20% of the time I listen to the RL channels for stereo music off of my AVR. I dont have enough rooms to have seperate systems, so I use the living/dining room for HT and stereo listening. I guess I'm after the best of both worlds, without breaking the bank.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just use the stereo mode on the avr when using 2ch content.....or upmix it to multich if you desire. You're in control....

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
Right. Or Direct mode or Pure Direct mode. When you have 2 channel content and you speaker configuration is 11.1 or 5.1, it should play only 2 channels as intended. In stereo mode, depending on the configuration, subwooofer might be involved, if you set your front speakers to small.
So you can enjoy room correction and all the goodies for 2 channel or multichannel. No need for separate system.

Webninja

Forum Donor
If I’m reading the original post correctly, wouldn’t you need the Denon 8500 to have flexible external amp assignments?

I believe that’s the only model that you can do more than just L/R, or all external. Basically if you want the AVR to handle some of the amplification and external for the others (aside from only L/R) then the 8500 is the go to.

OP
S

Scubaduderon

If I’m reading the original post correctly, wouldn’t you need the Denon 8500 to have flexible external amp assignments?

I believe that’s the only model that you can do more than just L/R, or all external. Basically if you want the AVR to handle some of the amplification and external for the others (aside from only L/R) then the 8500 is the go to.

Thank you for helping me. I thought about the 8500 and I agree. With all my different old school euipment hanging off the AVR preamps, I'll be wasting active internal amps that I could simply turn off with the 8500. But for me the 8500 loses out in 2 ways. 1, it doesn't have the latest video processing with the 8K stuff etc, and 2, it's too expensive...

Top Bottom