• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Got Airborne Magna RIsers, speaker stands for my Magnepan MMGs, and am very happy with them!

drewdawg999

It was a four month wait list but otherwise things went well. There are measurements for FR, with stock stands and Magna Risers on the similar LRS:
Figure_09_LARGE-electrodynamics-little-dipole.jpg

(Taken from this review.)

The stands have opened things up nicely. Big step up in clarity and detail, and better drive and definition in the bass as well. I think this is due to getting the Maggies off the floor and vertical, and increasing stiffness and stability. The stock stands were just downright flimsy. The MMGs are bass deficient though and integrate well with my sealed 10" sub, a Dayton Titanic MKIII that came in a kit. I'm pretty surprised that they sound so good after 20+ years and that I still want to listen them. They battle it out with my Vandersteens (which don't measure well either) for my eartime and right now I'm enamored with my old Maggies on new stands. The Magna Risers make them look fantastic.

20220829_144714.jpg

20220829_144745.jpg

Driving them properly now with my March Audio P502, a great match. The Maggies eat up watts, and the 500 wpc of the NC502MP Hypex module are needed. I know the LRS don't measure well, but their predecessor the MMGs work for me with outstanding detail, big soundstage, and enticing floating images.

I regret selling my 3.6 Maggie and so I decided to set up another listening area ( smaller) . So I am about to receive my LRS + and I am contemplating the magneriser.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I regret selling my 3.6 Maggie and so I decided to set up another listening area ( smaller) . So I am about to receive my LRS + and I am contemplating the magneriser.
Are you getting the new LRS production ones or the original? Interested in your impressions. I continue to be intrigued with smaller Maggies. Don't really have the right room/furniture placement for them though. I need to track someone down locally who has them in a proper room to listen to...

The guy from Magnepan who wrote me about the new ones offered to get my order in so I'd "get on the list", but sorry, I don't plunk down $1000 on something I haven't heard...

I have had many Maggies over the years. I was a dealer up until 2005. I purchased the LRS + unheard but I am not worried about the sound quality because of my previous experience with the company.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it should be fine. You need a speedy sub since Maggies are so fast, so a sealed should be okay. Also they integrate better on Magna Risers, with less bloated bass.
Hmmm.
There are no such things, as “speedy” subs or “fast” speakers…
As for the risers…. I can’t say much about these Except that getting the speakers off the floor would change the FR for any speaker.

Peace.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I have had many Maggies over the years. I was a dealer up until 2005. I purchased the LRS + unheard but I am not worried about the sound quality because of my previous experience with the company.
I'll be interested to hear how you like them, and if you use a sub with them and if so, what type. As I mentioned, I don't really have a perfect room to accommodate them but who knows, inspiration may strike me one day...

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As for the risers…. I can’t say much about these Except that getting the speakers off the floor would change the FR for any speaker.
This. Use the standard feet and place them higher using a piece of wood or books and remeasure ...

Well I guess I should say that I was bit hard by the magnepan bug. After I purchased the LRS+ ( which I am loving) I found a pair of 1.7 on Facebook marketplace and bought them at a good price. Then I saw a listing for 3.6s and I thought they were a great deal so I went to hear them and they were in need of some repairs so I bought them at a great price. I have had 3.6s before and I have always regretted not keeping them so they are going to be a fun little project to work on. I’m not sure what happened but I now have 4prs of magnepan speakers. I am also going to try to make a dyi stand for the 3.6s and if it works I will try to make a set for the 1.7s . I have the magnariser for the LRS+ already on the way so I’m not going to mess around with those.

I experienced some delamination with my 3.6s so I just did a project on them and coated the panels with the new glue that is now used in the Magnepan factory and they are back to their previous glory. Fun but tedious process.

Top Bottom