• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Google Sheets Compilation of ASR DAC Reviews

calebelston

Been a long time fan of this community and the hard work of @amirm, and I have learned a great deal from you all as well.

One thing I found myself doing a lot was reading the DAC reviews and trying to compare the prices and performance of the best ones. But that required a fair amount of effort and keeping a notepad of their prices and SINAD etc.

I thought it could be useful to contribute this Google Sheet to everyone who is looking to compare SINAD to price, date of release, balanced or single ended, etc. I've started with the top 20 DACs as of this posting. And if folks find it useful/helpful I'll keep adding more and keep it up to date.

Link to the Google Sheets spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GLG9v4h6FaKlLM_lT_GfDU-61kSyBjzZGQgLgcXyN9Y/edit?usp=sharing

(The links to retailers DO NOT include affiliate links, and are just for convenience)

Feedback and suggestions welcome!

machinejump

Have you checked out the Review Index link at the top in the nav? Has about 95% of what your built in your sheet - just filter for DAC

OP
calebelston

calebelston

Added a Price/Performance column. Really helps put into context the incredible price/performance of these DACs. The calculation is simply the current price divided by SINAD. So you end up with a price per SINAD point.

Of all DACs tested with SINAD of 120 or higher:

Top - SMSL DO100 ($1.99 per point of SINAD) https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/smsl-do100-review-stereo-dac.34198/
Bottom - Mola Mola Tambaqui ($95.04 per point of SINAD) https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-mola-tambaqui-dac-and-streamer-review.10770/

Ryeno

Topping DX3 Pro+ or SMSL DO100​

Which do you recommend? I need a DAC + pre amp into a power amplifier.

Last edited:
OP
calebelston

calebelston

Topping DX3 Pro+ or SMSL DO100​

Which do you recommend? I need a DAC + pre amp into a power amplifier.
If you don't need the headphone section that that DX3 Pro+ offers, I'd say the SMSL since it has balanced outputs, the power supply is integrated, and also has Bluetooth (for convenience). They both measure very well.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. You missed the Topping E30 II at its $1.26 $/SINAD, the new Champ.

OP
calebelston

calebelston

Yep, only added the top 20 DACs thus far, was waiting to see if there was interest in adding the rest of the "Excellent" ranked ones. It seems there is! Will add the rest of the "Excellent" ones, which will include the E30 II and SMSL D-6 which are both incredible values on the $/SINAD scale.

Dean Palmer

I just happened upon this sheet after not finding any other similar reference to the cost vs performance of these devices. In another conversation on another platform, someone was celebrating the $35k Infigo Audio Method4 DAC. I just had to argue a bit as there is no basis for the cost vs possible performance of the Infigo Audio Method4 DAC and the OP stated the typical "if you had a system capable you would hear the difference. (I think I'd hear the snake oil dripping, and coins falling from my wallet is all). Of course no measurements at all for that $35k unit, just beliefs and fanboys.

steabert

I just happened upon this sheet after not finding any other similar reference to the cost vs performance of these devices. In another conversation on another platform, someone was celebrating the $35k Infigo Audio Method4 DAC. I just had to argue a bit as there is no basis for the cost vs possible performance of the Infigo Audio Method4 DAC and the OP stated the typical "if you had a system capable you would hear the difference. (I think I'd hear the snake oil dripping, and coins falling from my wallet is all). Of course no measurements at all for that $35k unit, just beliefs and fanboys.
:facepalm:

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You might consider estimating value as the cost per point of SINAD over a specific limit. For example, an approximate limit of audibility is 16 bits, or 96 db. Doing so would lead to negative costs for some units. But it would give people an idea of how much they are paying to do something better than a recognized threshold.

EDIT. As an added bonus, one could find the lowest cost DAC that provides a particular SINAD (again, say 96 db) and then compare all others to it using the difference in cost divided by the difference in SINAD. That would be the cost per SINAD point gained/lost, which is a measure of cost-effectiveness. It answers the question of how much someone is paying to improve SINAD over a "common" reference point. For example, the JDS Labs OL DAC was $100 and provided 96 db. So if something gives 116 db at $200 the cost per incremental SINAD point would be $100 / 20 SINAD = $5 per SINAD. (Anything that gives a negative cost OR negative SINAD difference would be dominated.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom