• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Google Pixel 2 has the best camera of any smartphone

Wombat

Master Contributor
My Motorola Android phone has no battery removal for replacement.
I had only one upgrade to its operating system, and what it gained in operational efficiency it lost in camera performance.

My Samsung tablet had two upgrades in OS. What I gained on battery lasting longer I lost on battery charging time. The tablet can last 12 hours no sweat, even with YouTube videos, but it takes much longer now to charge it; say from 20% to 100% it takes now roughly six hours...before it took only three hours.

You win some, you lose some.

If you buy a premium phone or tablet...iPhone or iPad (Apple), you get all the upgrades. Lol, Apple is not number one for nothing.
I had LG, have Motorola, Samsung and Sony, and my friends and family have Apple products and others Microsoft products, Google...my smartest friends and family members are the ones between and above.
The best looking people, the youngest use Apple, the elders use Microsoft, and the brightest use both. ...From my own entourage, but if I move to the next street corner it could be the total opposite.

It is extraordinary today the reliance we have with our electronic devices.
We live artificially with intelligent access to the world in the palm of our hand. When we were kids we were relating to our parents and teachers knowledge, plus what we heard on the AM radio and what we saw on our cathode black and white tube TVs.

Today we have the world encyclopedia not in libraries but inside our phones.
The phones we had when we were kids were with coiled wires and huge bricks, with an analog round dialing ring. Lol

Fifty years from now, when we're all gone, unless some of you are under fifty and with a steel health that makes you almost immortal...till age 100 or so, can you imagine...
They will use only their mind to communicate and get all answers to all questions. No more prehistoric devices like iPhones and Samsung androids.

They will live in the new age of flying cars and rockets. ...And only from mind energy operated. The human race in 200 years from now will be so advanced that they won't need Twitter and Facebook any more. That, is progress.

Sensible omission of the paperless office prediction. :rolleyes:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The human race in 200 years from now will be so advanced that they won't need Twitter and Facebook

I'm there now, and you guys thought I was a laggard.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
:D

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I do smile whenever I see the abbreviation ASR. Back in the day, it was the abbreviation for a legendary Usenet newsgroup (maybe familiar to reader's of Niven's Ringworld series.)

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
To me, "ASR" is a tag connected to a submitted paper to an IEEE Journal that talks about "Automatic Speech Recognition".

But yes, there was alt.science.ringworld as well as rec.audio.opinion :p When I see "RAO" I automatically hit "unsubscribe". :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There is an unwritten rule in consumer electronics that any abbreviation should be three letters such as DVD. So when thinking of the name of the forum, I worked hard to keep with that tradition :).

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There is an unwritten rule in consumer electronics that any abbreviation should be three letters such as DVD. So when thinking of the name of the forum, I worked hard to keep with that tradition :).

So that is the reason DVD was accepted at a faster rate than CD. CD only had two letters. If only they had used three.

For a short time some used DAD for digital audio disc. Didn't catch on.

DSD had three, but didn't catch on exactly (early on hampered by SACD one letter too many). HDCD was a letter too many. Didn't catch on. LP seems to hang on even being a letter short.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Last edited:

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Well, they could have called "CD" CCD instead. That MIGHT not be what a lot of people thought it was. :)

davidB

It started out as Compact Digital Disc. Don't know when or why the second D was dropped in abbreviaions.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
...You'll have to buy a Google phone to get continued updates to the OS itself (and in a timely manor)...

timely manor.JPG

I'll take this manor for my updates, please Mr Google. :)

garbulky

Major Contributor
I'm pretty happy with my X. I upgrade my phone every two years. I think the improvements have slowed down and are more subtle than they used to be. The X is more of a subtle improvement over past iphones, IMO. I use it for work and for play, so its very important to me.

I have to say that my apple watch 3 is a real game changer compared with the apple watch 2. I workout and run a lot and I make good use of different workout apps and metrics on the apple watch. I also track my sleep. However, the watch 3 allows me to leave the iphone behind in many situations. I especially enjoy leaving it behind when I workout in the gym or I'm outside running/hiking. It's nice because I'm not ever tempted to surf the web or check social meida, but I'm still in contact (text, email, or phone calls) to the extent I want to be. The watch 3 coupled with nice bluetooth earbuds is so sweet because i can also stream apple music while I'm active. I really think the apple watch 3 is a much bigger story than the iphone x.
So do you have to have a separate line? Does it cost extra? How does it work? Do they call the same number or have to dial a different number for the watch?

Top Bottom