• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Google Nest Audio Spinorama and Measurements

jonfitch

Oh, I should note one other thing Google gets right: absolutely no hiss.

Could they just be disconnecting the amp when there's no output? I know Sonos and B&W do that with their newer bluetooth stuff. But if you play some music at very low spl the hiss will be apparent again.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, I should note one other thing Google gets right: absolutely no hiss.
Could they just be disconnecting the amp when there's no output?
Once upon a time at a giant autosound company I got annoyed at competitors doing similar by muting the DAC. So I had my coworker run tests with an LSB test track: 1 least significant bit at 22.05 kHz "the smallest signal you could put on a CD" (NAB???? test disc). But I'm not sure how to do that in a Bluetooth-only environment. Perhaps for this speaker you could send a very LOW tone, 20 Hz. Or if that mutes out like 50-60 Hz, on then off, listen for hiss coming out of the tweeter.

OP
N

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Man..i got these today and must say stereo pairing seems to be a disaster. I keep getting one of the speakers cutting out and weird panning effects because the speakers are probably losing connecting to each other. When they work they are fine, but too many issues with it as a stereo pair. I am probably going to return them.

Taddpole

Man..i got these today and must say stereo pairing seems to be a disaster. I keep getting one of the speakers cutting out and weird panning effects because the speakers are probably losing connecting to each other. When they work they are fine, but too many issues with it as a stereo pair. I am probably going to return them.

Weird the pairing works fine on my Google minis, you'd expect these to do better.

Kachda

Forum Donor
Weird the pairing works fine on my Google minis, you'd expect these to do better.
I am noticing that the weird behaviour seems to happen when either the chromecast is doing something in the background, or if I am doing something in the google home app.

Kachda

Forum Donor
Unfortunately I am going to have to return them. They sound quite nice, but the wireless stereo pairing seems to have issues with one channel cutting out quite frequently in use.

Kachda

Forum Donor
Before I send it back, thought I'd take a quick measurement and compare them to my iloud micros (equalized and unequalized). As usual, ignore everything below 500Hz. Measurements were done using Pink Noise Z-weighted to about 80db.

What I found interesting
- Nest seems to have a lower levels above 1k as compared to the iloud micro. This comes across as the sound feel bassier/chestier without a lot of degradation in vocals (at least at my listening levels of about 60-70db).
- Equalization really hasn't done much to the iLoud micros above 1k except for filling in a small dip around 1.4k. Bass between 200 and 500Hz is a lot flatter with equalization.
- I probably need to do a better job with the eq :).
- I do like the sound from either speaker. The nest is bassier but the vocals seems clearer on the iloud micros. Too bad about the stereo stability issues with the nest though.

Attachments

• iloudmicrovsnest.png
    iloudmicrovsnest.png
    180.7 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

Atanasi

Forum Donor
Does Nest Audio make a sound when a device connects or disconnects through Bluetooth? I would prefer these could be made silent.

Kachda

Forum Donor
Does Nest Audio make a sound when a device connects or disconnects through Bluetooth? I would prefer these could be made silent.
I don’t remember it making any noise when connecting or disconnecting

theshade

Is it possible to connect a google nest to a minidsp that controls the subs? Thanks. This is a way cheaper option than genelec 8010a for computer audio.

Atanasi

Forum Donor
Is it possible to connect a google nest to a minidsp that controls the subs? Thanks. This is a way cheaper option than genelec 8010a for computer audio.
This supports only Chromecast or Bluetooth, no line inputs.

Atanasi

Forum Donor
How can a subwoofer be used for the google nest speaker ?
If you have a Chromecast Audio, which can still be bought second hand, you can add a subwoofer to a speaker group and cast to it simultaneously with Nest speakers.

theshade

If you have a Chromecast Audio, which can still be bought second hand, you can add a subwoofer to a speaker group and cast to it simultaneously with Nest speakers.
what other currently for sale functions like chromecast audio?

Atanasi

Forum Donor
what other currently for sale functions like chromecast audio?
A regular Chromecast can be paired with a HDMI audio extractor, or the new Google TV version supports USB DACs when paired with a hub. These add complexity, and the functionality is not exactly the same: some applications distinguish audio and video variants and function differently. Video variants in general have broader support.
AVRs, for example, may include built-in Chromecast and support subwoofers, but this would a more expensive solution.

jae

Major Contributor
Disappointing to see there's no mod/hack to add line in to these yet. I wonder how much DSP is running on the signal

Last edited:
Top Bottom