• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good way to stream Amazon Music HD to DAC

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I send the Amazon Music HD stream from the App direct to my good old Sonos Connect (S1). 16-bit, 44,1 kHz/48 kHz is possible, 24-bit, 44,1 kHz/48 kHz only with the new Sonos Port (S2).
Add.: My TOPPING D10s DAC, connected to the USB output from my old S8 phone, shows 192 PCM and works without problem for ULTRA HD.
My D90 MQA shows the sample rate I've set in the Sound Control Panel for the device. If I set the device to 44.1khz then that is what the D90 MQA display shows. If I set the device to 384khz then that is what the D90 MQA display shows.

But, if I choose an MQA Master track then no matter what interface sample rate I set on the PC the full D90 MQA data stream is passed to the D90 MQA and the D90 MQA does the unfolding and rendering itself and displays the MQA encoded sample rate. It could be 44.1khz or as high as 352.8khz. I've seen 48khz, 96khz, 192khz, and even 176.4khz

Your phone is showing 192khz due to the default sample rate set by Android, probably the maximum for the hardware device in the phone.
Last week I bought the latest Fire Stick 4k and have it connected to an HDMI audio extractor. The extractor extract's the digital audio from the Fire Stick and sends it to my Topping DX3 Pro via an optical connection. The audio quality displayed on the TV screen streaming AMHD Ultra is as follows:

Track Quality: 24 bit/ 192kHz or 24 bit/96 kHz
Device Capability: 16 bit/ 192 kHz
Currently playing at: 16 bit/ 192 kHz or 16 bit/ 96 kHz

Nothing indicates 24 bit and more perplexing is the fact that the Topping DX3 Pro's display reads everything as 48 kHz? The Topping reads correctly from my Node 2i streamer.
That is saying the device is limiting the playback to it's own maximum of 16bit/192khz - which is the Firestick 4k, but if your HDMI extractor lists a maximum sample rate that it passes that would be the limiting device. Please check to see if the HDMI extractor is the limiting factor.

Poultrygeist

My D90 MQA shows the sample rate I've set in the Sound Control Panel for the device. If I set the device to 44.1khz then that is what the D90 MQA display shows. If I set the device to 384khz then that is what the D90 MQA display shows.

But, if I choose an MQA Master track then no matter what interface sample rate I set on the PC the full D90 MQA data stream is passed to the D90 MQA and the D90 MQA does the unfolding and rendering itself and displays the MQA encoded sample rate. It could be 44.1khz or as high as 352.8khz. I've seen 48khz, 96khz, 192khz, and even 176.4khz

Your phone is showing 192khz due to the default sample rate set by Android, probably the maximum for the hardware device in the phone.

That is saying the device is limiting the playback to it's own maximum of 16bit/192khz - which is the Firestick 4k, but if your HDMI extractor lists a maximum sample rate that it passes that would be the limiting device. Please check to see if the HDMI extractor is the limiting factor.

I'm using the recommended Cables Matter 4k extractor.

Poultrygeist

I changed some settings on the Fire Stick 4K and according to the audio quality displayed on the big screen I'm getting AMHD at 24/192 and 24/96 but my Topping DAC still says all of the extracted optical audio is playing at 48kHz. Should I believe the DAC or the Fire Stick? o_O

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm using the recommended Cables Matter 4k extractor.
That's it then, the Cables Matter 4k extractor's limitation is 16/192khz, as mentioned here on the Amazon product listing:

Amazon.com: Cable Matters 4K 60Hz HDMI Audio Extractor (HDMI Audio Splitter to Digital S/PDIF + 3.5mm Aux Stereo) - Support 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 and HDR: Home Audio & Theater:

"...HiFi ready HDMI to optical audio adapter also supports audio sample rates up to 192 kHz for a crystal clear sound. "

The Firestick 4k might be a higher bit/sample rate, but the extractor is lowing that to it's maximum best rate.
I changed some settings on the Fire Stick 4K and according to the audio quality displayed on the big screen I'm getting AMHD at 24/192 and 24/96 but my Topping DAC still says all of the extracted optical audio is playing at 48kHz. Should I believe the DAC or the Fire Stick? o_O
The DAC. The DAC is the consumer of the data at the end of the transfer chain and acts on what it receives on its input.

The Firestick 4k settings effects stop at its output.

Perhaps shop for an HDMI extractor with a higher bit/sample rate, at least as high as the Firestick 4k says it is delivering on its output, or enjoy what you have. I have returned devices for those specs to find better ones, but not this particular device.

Last edited:

Poultrygeist

I'm confused. If my Cable Matters 4K HDMI extractor supports sample rates up to 192 kHz as it claims then why does my DAC display 48 Khz on all content from AMHD? Maybe someone can recommend another HDMI extractor so I can return this one.

Poultrygeist

They do now, after a recent update of the Fire OS and AMHD app. I am using Fire TV Stick 4K plugged into CableMatters 4K HDMI audio extractor and it works flawlessly. Sounds incredible through optical in on my Matrix Audio X-SABRE Pro DAC. Only downside Firestick AMHD app version is rather primitive and still does not support gapless playback. Note, I had to try several HDMI extractor models before I found one that works. Especially 4K ones mostly have broken HDCP 2.2 implementations and would refuse to negotiate audio rates above 48 kHz.

And to be clear, no matter what signal extraction method you use, AMHD app on the Firestick will resample all tracks to 24/192 fixed rate. Still sounds awesome to me but if you absolutely want it bitperfect you will have to look for other solutions.

I bought that Cable Matters 4K HDMI extractor based on your recommendation and while AMHD on the big screen says the 4K Fire Stick is streaming all the Ultra content my DAC's display never changes from 48 kHz.

the_hamster 2

Early in this thread there was mention of “support” for AM over the Google CCA...however, none of our iOS devices can cast AM to CCA as it never appears as a device option (“My device isn’t here”); Bluetooth sort of works (our devices only have BT 4.82), A18 DAC @ BT 5.0, and even a couple of cm distance, playback frequently interrupted. Best solution we’ve found for streaming AM-HD is iPad > CCK > USB > A18 DAC

Bamyasi

I bought that Cable Matters 4K HDMI extractor based on your recommendation and while AMHD on the big screen says the 4K Fire Stick is streaming all the Ultra content my DAC's display never changes from 48 kHz.

Is it this one (linked below)?

Cable Matters 4K 60Hz HDMI Audio Extractor (HDMI Audio Splitter to Digital S/PDIF + 3.5mm Aux Stereo) - Support 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 and HDR

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matter...0+and+HDR&qid=1612310454&s=electronics&sr=1-1

Check that the output format switch on the extractor is in the middle position (5.1CH). Two other options (TV or 2CH) would result in 48 kHz downmixing. You might need to power cycle both your extractor and the Firestick 4K after adjusting the settings on the extractor in order to activate the passthrough mode. Also, make sure that Ultra HD is enabled in the AMHD app settings on the stick.

Poultrygeist

Is it this one (linked below)?

Cable Matters 4K 60Hz HDMI Audio Extractor (HDMI Audio Splitter to Digital S/PDIF + 3.5mm Aux Stereo) - Support 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 and HDR

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-103090-Audio-Extractor/dp/B07VPRFQ5W/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Cable+Matters+4K+60Hz+HDMI+Audio+Extractor+(HDMI+Audio+Splitter+to+Digital+S/PDIF+++3.5mm+Aux+Stereo)+-+Support+18Gbps+HDMI+2.0+and+HDR&qid=1612310454&s=electronics&sr=1-1

Check that the output format switch on the extractor is in the middle position (5.1CH). Two other options (TV or 2CH) would result in 48 kHz downmixing. You might need to power cycle both your extractor and the Firestick 4K after adjusting the settings on the extractor in order to activate the passthrough mode. Also, make sure that Ultra HD is enabled in the AMHD app settings on the stick.

You are spot on as the switch was in 2 channel but moving it to middle position gives me 192 kHz on my DAC. Thanks a million.

Hi there!

So far Amazon Music HD is the streaming service where I can find the best value for what they charge for their HD service. They really have pretty much any album I can think of and the quality seems really good too.

The only problem I have with it is how to stream it as they don't have an open API. Usually I use a Raspberry Pi where I run volumio. Right now I'm using a HifiBerry DAC+ but I've just ordered a Topping E30 DAC which hopefully will arrive soon.

Currently the only way I can stream is from my iPhone/iPad or Mac to the raspberry via Airplay. Or from the Mac via USB of course but that's not what I want to do usually because where the DAC is placed isn't where my Mac is. And I'm lazy so being able to select the next album with the iPhone over a convenient interface while sitting on the couch would be nice!

Is there a good solution to this yet? The only stuff I've seen are commercial solutions like Bluesound node 2i but that's not where I want to go. I mean maybe Airplay isn't the worst solution but I think the higher bitrates won't make it there but at least CD quality should be fine? I'm just worried there's too much stuff going on in between that might impact sound quality :/

Thanks for any ideas!

Marco
I'm in search of the same thing.
It looks like I have much reading to do.
Have you been able get a successful resolution?

Check this Reddit post for more details. Amazon has also announced this upgrade via emails sent to active AMHD accounts recently:
View attachment 108020
I'll be giving this a shot within the next couple of weeks.
I just ordered these (below). I will be trying digital / optical into my old SR5003 Marantz receiver. I'm curious to hear the improvement over my current AudioEngine B1 Bluetooth setup.
I have been enjoying making small changes to the system, then taking time to experience the differences.

$40 Firestick: Amazon.com: Fire TV Stick 4K streaming device with Alexa Voice Remote | Dolby Vision | 2018 release: Amazon Devices
$18 converter: Amazon.com: HDMI Audio Extractor HDMI to HDMI Audio Converter for Fire Stick Roku and Google Chrome Stick HDMI to Optical Audio and 3.5 Stereo Audio Support 1080P/ 3D (with USB 1A Power Out): Home Audio & Theater
$8 S/PDIF coax: Amazon.com: FosPower (6 Feet) Digital Audio Coaxial Cable [24K Gold Plated Connectors] Premium S/PDIF RCA Male to RCA Male for Home Theater, HDTV, Subwoofer, Hi-Fi Systems: Electronics
$6 Toslink: Amazon.com: StarTech.com 10 ft. (3 m) Digital Optical Audio Cable - Toslink Digital Optical SPDIF - Ultra-Thin - Male/Male - Optical Audio Cable (THINTOS10): Home Audio & Theater

Poultrygeist

Will that HDMI Audio Extractor support 192 kHz like the one from Cable Matters 4k linked above?

I will need a couple of weeks to check my experiment. I will be extremely busy at work, on nightshift for a while. (sleeping during the day)

RoyB

Forum Donor
THANK YOU all for a great thread. I'm just getting started with streaming Amazon HD/Ultra into my system. Currently using an Andover Songbird with excellent results, but limited capability. I'm interested in using a Firestick 4K with an HDMI extractor for true UltraHD.

Where can I read exactly how this would be hooked up and how to control it? Or can someone post it here...

It seems the Bluesound Node is the easiest way to obtain true Ultra HD quality, but at a $550 entry fee.

If a Firestick and a $50 HDMI extractor and a optical cable will do the same thing.....that would be great. (I already have a Schiit Modi3 DAC)

Poultrygeist

The 4K Fire Stick comes with a remote and requires a TV or monitor. The FS's HDMI is connected to the extractor's HDMI input. The extractor has an optical out which is connected to a DAC while the extractor's HDMI output goes to the TV/monitor. The extractor has 3 position and the middle position is used.

Top Bottom