• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good way to stream Amazon Music HD to DAC

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Me too. Good luck with that.

Well, I've had good luck streaming Tidal to CCA (I don't need gapless) and also with Tidal Connect to a Bluesound Node 2.

witchdoctor

Well, I've had good luck streaming Tidal to CCA (I don't need gapless) and also with Tidal Connect to a Bluesound Node 2.

I have a Node and like the PlayFi app better than BluOs. The Node is OK for the money but the dynamics are a little underwhelming.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

As noted i use both CCA and the PW Link. ARC is worth the additional $130 premium for the PW Link. Ir you don't need room correction then nothing wrong with the CCA.

Bear123

Browsing through this thread and it all seems so complicated..serious question....and I ask only because it's what I use and know, and seems to work well. Why not just use an Apple TV4K, connected to an AVR? Does everything I need it to..Neflix, Hulu, Apple Music, Tidal, Spotify, Amazon music, You tube, etc etc. I'm not aware of anything I *can't* do with this simple setup. Everything controlled by remote. Hooks up to a TV if desired. AVR allows as many channels as one desires.

Is there a resolution limitation that this setup would enounter i.e. CD quality, hi res, lossless vs compressed etc etc? Not that I'm personally overly worried about it.....from what I've seen people can't hear a difference regardless. Just curious why what seems to be a very simple and user friendly solution wouldn't work.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
As noted i use both CCA and the PW Link. ARC is worth the additional $130 premium for the PW Link. Ir you don't need room correction then nothing wrong with the CCA.

I did consider it for room correction. However, the price in the UK is £525. Also, the ASR review wasn't very complimentary about the DTS Play-Fi app. Maybe it has improved since then.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
I did consider it for room correction. However, the price in the UK is £525. Also, the ASR review wasn't very complimentary about the DTS Play-Fi app. Maybe it has improved since then.

$179 in US. It has improved and our dear host is not known for his patience, at least it seemed so in that instance. I had no such problems in set-up.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
$179 in US. It has improved and our dear host is not known for his patience, at least it seemed so in that instance. I had no such problems in set-up.

That's putting it mildly, judging from his comments. Glad to hear it's improved. Can't understand why it's so much more expensive in the UK.

witchdoctor

Its improved since then, yes

Certainkindoffool

Forum Donor
Me too. Good luck with that.

Edit: (Started this post before a 4 year old jumped on me. It got sent before making any sense)That doesn't make any fucking sense. How do you expect to be so unsatisfied as to spend

I used it with a chromecast audio until upgrading because play-fi is garbage. 525UK is way too much to pay! 200UK would be 'acceptable,' imo.

I say this as someone who is currently selling a pw link on CAM with the same username.

Last edited:

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
That doesn't make any fucking sense. How do you expect to be so unsatisfied as to spend

I used it with a chromecast audio until upgrading because play-fi is garbage. 525UK is way too much to pay! 200UK would be 'acceptable,' imo.

I say this as someone who is currently selling a pw link on CAM with the same username.

Who said I wasn't satisfied? I bought two of them. I'm still contemplating buying a third one. You ever marry? Being satisfied with imperfection is definitely a thing. Especially at $179.

Last edited:

Apesbrain

Is there a resolution limitation that this setup would enounter
It's a fine solution, but appears to resample everything to 16/48:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2603025

For people wanting "hi-res", DSD, MQA, it's not going to do what they want. I'm not saying it's not "hi-fi", just that it's a bit primitive.
Not that I'm personally overly worried about it.....from what I've seen people can't hear a difference regardless.
No one yet has decisively demonstrated that they can.

Certainkindoffool

Forum Donor
Who said I wasn't satisfied? I bought two of them. I'm still contemplating buying a third one. You ever marry? Being satisfied with imperfection is definitely a thing. Especially at $179.

As per edit. I started a post before a 4 year old jumped on me. It was intended as a joke, but got sent before it was finished.

I certainly did sound like a shit head though!

Last edited:

RBear1981

Morning all. New member here. I upgraded to Amazon hd a couple of months ago and like the rest have been looking for options to stream in best quality. It's certainly a challenge. I've arrived on a Denon 250 which I picked up for 320 on black Friday and which handles playback in one part of the house. You can Alexa cast tonit which means you don't even have to use the heleos app. Full streaming quality too. Headphone listening is another prob I've had. Currently Ive found listening from a Kindle fire 8 hd to be pretty good through the headphone jack. I've tried a couple of external dac options with this and also with Android phone but as you know it restricts to 24/48. I've found that the headphone jack with the fire sounds as good as with the DAC option. My next try is going to be using my work iPhone connected to an external dac for headphone listening. I've bought an adaptor which am currently waiting on. For my other room downstairs I'm thinking of hooking up my kantos speakers to a similar set up, i.e. iPad or iPhone. I'll use an external dac of needs be although maybe not needed as speakers have dac/pre-amp/amp. With this set up I don't see why you wouldn't be able to just Alexa cast from any other device with the Amazon app. Long for a first post -sorry - but yo me these seem like best/easiest solutions I've come across. Something else o dallyed with was the ifi Bluetooth dac which looks great but obv it won't work given limitations of the android streaming and even more so of the apple Bluetooth codec capabilities.

JogoVogo

Hello all,

I am using this interface:
https://lnx.m2tech.biz/products/pens/hiface-two/

5828658E-51A3-43D4-A6EA-61E4AD164D7F.jpeg

It works on iOS as it does on Android.
With it the high bitrates can be achieved.

Bamyasi

From all that I've read the only Amazon device that supports the highest resolution content from AMHD is the Studio speaker. I tried the newest Fire Cube and the Link but they won't stream 24/192 so I returned them. I'm pleased with 24/196 Ultra content streaming from a hard wired Node 2i in my listening room but would love to see the album art and lyrics displayed on the big screen in the HT. The only choices I've found are Denon or Marantz AVR's with HEOS baked in.
They do now, after a recent update of the Fire OS and AMHD app. I am using Fire TV Stick 4K plugged into CableMatters 4K HDMI audio extractor and it works flawlessly. Sounds incredible through optical in on my Matrix Audio X-SABRE Pro DAC. Only downside Firestick AMHD app version is rather primitive and still does not support gapless playback. Note, I had to try several HDMI extractor models before I found one that works. Especially 4K ones mostly have broken HDCP 2.2 implementations and would refuse to negotiate audio rates above 48 kHz.

And to be clear, no matter what signal extraction method you use, AMHD app on the Firestick will resample all tracks to 24/192 fixed rate. Still sounds awesome to me but if you absolutely want it bitperfect you will have to look for other solutions.

Poultrygeist

They do now, after a recent update of the Fire OS and AMHD app. I am using Fire TV Stick 4K plugged into CableMatters 4K HDMI audio extractor and it works flawlessly. Sounds incredible through optical in on my Matrix Audio X-SABRE Pro DAC. Only downside Firestick AMHD app version is rather primitive and still does not support gapless playback. Note, I had to try several HDMI extractor models before I found one that works. Especially 4K ones mostly have broken HDCP 2.2 implementations and would refuse to negotiate audio rates above 48 kHz.

And to be clear, no matter what signal extraction method you use, AMHD app on the Firestick will resample all tracks to 24/192 fixed rate. Still sounds awesome to me but if you absolutely want it bitperfect you will have to look for other solutions.

I sure hope this is the case. I've looked high and low on Amazon to find any confirmation of this change but to no avail.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I didn't like Amazon music HD that much. Is it better than Tidal, thousand times yes but tidal always has the dollar deals. I had a LG G7, the stupid app didn't use my built in dac. I think it was either up to 16/24bit 48khz.

Top Bottom