• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good way to stream Amazon Music HD to DAC

Bamyasi

If you deploy Bubble UPNP app (android), and run on both phones, yes I believe so. Roon will do similar. Will be others
Yes for pretty much every other service except the Amazon Music HD.

Bamyasi

One suggest may be to use the screen cast settings of android or some kind of VNC/screen sharing app to cast the screen of your phone attached to the DAC onto another phone, smart tv etc, and control it from there depending on your setup.

Note that you will have to root your device for this to work. My experience, it's not worth it. Most remote control / screen cast apps I've tried worked rather unreliably and looked as if they could be easily compromized to get unauthorized access to your home network.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks @Certainkindoffool @Glasvegas @BDWoody for the suggestion towards chromecast audio. The advantage of
Amazon Music HD -> iPhone -> Chromecast Audio via Chromecast -> Topping E30 via S/PDIF vs
Amazon Music HD -> iPhone -> Raspberry Pi via Airplay -> Topping E30 via USB
would be that Chromecast support higher bitrates right?

Amazon Music app on my iPad does not show my CCA. Android app on my phone shows CCA. So, not sure how your two options above would work.

OP
M

marco80

So it seems like there's not really an easy and good solution right now even if I'd buy a Chromecast Audio or an Android phone. So I guess I'll stick to usually streaming from the iPhone via AirPlay to the Raspberry and then out via USB to the Topping E30. This way I should get lossless CD quality which is good enough, for now, most of the time.

When I know I'll do a longer session I'll plug in the Macbook via USB and be able to listen to some of their HiRes ones beyond CD quality.

I just hope they'll open up their API soon.

zelig

Forum Donor
Bumping this thread to see if things have changed any.

I have an AVR, a headless PC, and a DAC. I'd like a system that plays Amazon HD Music that is controlled from my Android phone. I'm not seeing that as a possibility.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bumping this thread to see if things have changed any.

I have an AVR, a headless PC, and a DAC. I'd like a system that plays Amazon HD Music that is controlled from my Android phone. I'm not seeing that as a possibility.

Possible if you add Chromecast Audio (or any Chromecast compatible device) to the chain. From Android, you can cast from within the Amazon music app.

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Edit: didn’t mean to quote that post.

If you want easy but not cheap, both HEOS and BluOS support Amazon HD. I’m going to be going the BluOS route with a NAD M33 or a Bluesound Vault 2i in the next few months, but I had previously seriously considered a Marantz ND8006 which does HEOS.

I’m sure there are cheaper alternatives if you want to put in more effort, but I guess I’m lazy ;)

Taddpole

Possible if you add Chromecast Audio (or any Chromecast compatible device) to the chain. From Android, you can cast from within the Amazon music app.
You can cast to Chromecast audio but Amazon doesn't cast HD or ultra HD that way.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
I'd lke system that plays Amazon HD Music that is controlled from my Android phone. I'

Add an Echo Input (or Dot) to one of the line in of your AVR.

Within Amazon music playing on your android phone, click the cast button while music is playing. Assuming you have setup the Echo Input via Alexa, it will show as a castable device. Click it, and music will switch from phone to Input/AVR line in.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can cast to Chromecast audio but Amazon doesn't cast HD or ultra HD that way.

Oh. I thought it did CD quality but not 24 bit. For me CD quality has been good enough in general - seems like mastering is more important.

Taddpole

Add an Echo Input (or Dot) to one of the line in of your AVR.

Within Amazon music playing on your android phone, click the cast button while music is playing. Assuming you have setup the Echo Input via Alexa, it will show as a castable device. Click it, and music will switch from phone to Input/AVR line in.
Echo input and dot don't do HD either

Tatteredmidnight

I can cast to my Klipsch PowerGate, but the setup was very convoluted. I had to set up Alexa on my phone, install an add-on for Alexa, and register my streaming endpoint with my amazon account. Compared to Spotify connect, it’s a much worse experience. The overall quality of the app also seems to be way behind, I do not think I will be extending my subscription beyond the free trial, which is a shame, because they seem to have a lot of content, and their Had/UHD is quite good quality.

Taddpole

I can cast to my Klipsch PowerGate, but the setup was very convoluted. I had to set up Alexa on my phone, install an add-on for Alexa, and register my streaming endpoint with my amazon account. Compared to Spotify connect, it’s a much worse experience. The overall quality of the app also seems to be way behind, I do not think I will be extending my subscription beyond the free trial, which is a shame, because they seem to have a lot of content, and their Had/UHD is quite good quality.

Seems almost as ill planned as their mobile phone

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm using the Paradigm PW-LINK to my RME DAC via the Amazon app on the phone. Limited to 24/48 but otherwise fine.

Top Bottom