• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good way to stream Amazon Music HD to DAC

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not yet.

Are you running the beta release for Amazon HD on all 4 ?

There are quite a few bugs documented in WiiM thread.

I'm referring to Amazon UHD casting beta bugs specifically. That's really the only feature I'm interested in because there's nothing else that does this so far.
That's weird that it's taking so long. I've placed two separate orders directly from WiiM and they are getting here in 2 to 3 days.

I'm okay with working out the bugs when I'm seeing an accurate sample rate. It takes all the other nonsense out of the equation. I'm also interested in Amazon casting. I just want a clean signal to my RMEs. ;-)

Music1969

Major Contributor
That's weird that it's taking so long. I've placed two separate orders directly from WiiM and they are getting here in 2 to 3 days.

I'm okay with working out the bugs when I'm seeing an accurate sample rate. It takes all the other nonsense out of the equation. I'm also interested in Amazon casting. I just want a clean signal to my RMEs. ;-)

I could be much further away from the warehouse than you ;-)

It doesn't support gapless. Which might not be an issue for you but I listen to a lot of mixes that are on Apple Lossless and there on Amazon too.

WiiM are aware of the big gaps.

Will be interesting to see if they can fix this because even Chromecast doesn't support gapless. It could be a technical thing that can't be solved.

I'm happily sending me RME bit perfect already using Qobuz and Apple HiRes, so I'm hardly desperate for the WiiM to arrive.

But if they can solve gapless and fix other reported bugs, it could replace Apple Music and Qobuz for me.

I'm not desperate for the WiiM to arrive to be my primary devices - but I do want it to arrive asap so I can help with bug finding and reporting back to WiiM !

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've daubled in and out of all of the music services but Qobuz has been noticeably super slow and lagging lately... Do you see that too? Are you in the US?

Music1969

Major Contributor
I've daubled in and out of all of the music services but Qobuz has been noticeably super slow and lagging lately... Do you see that too? Are you in the US?
I'm not in the US but no issues with Qobuz for me.

Most of my listening is at a desk where I have iPhone connected to RME over USB so get bit perfect with auto sample rate switching.

But for other rooms I'd love to have no cables attached to phone and still have bit perfect.

So if Amazon casting gets good, that will become my main service.

If Apple Airplay supports hi-res one day, well thats another win for everyone.

More options is better than none !

Timstunes

Forum Donor
Get a cheap used android phone and connect it directly to your DAC.
If I connect a Galaxy tab via otg usb to dac will I get bit perfect from AMHD? Do I need Audio Player Pro?

Timstunes

Forum Donor
Do you have any idea what resolution this set up would yield? Thanks for your time. Dac is a SMSL Sanskrit 10th Mkii.

Bamyasi

Do you have any idea what resolution this set up would yield? Thanks for your time. Dac is a SMSL Sanskrit 10th Mkii.
Just tested it with my Samsung Galaxy Tab 6 (latest system updates installed, Android version 12) and the Amazon Music app on it resamples output via USB to 192 kHz fixed rate. Tested it with Topping DX3Pro DAC which does not display bit depth (only sampling rate) but I assume depth is 24 bit.

jevchance

People might want to see what new beta firmware of WiiM Mini has introduced.

Seemingly what everyone wants from Amazon HD

Album art?

Dumdum

Just tested it with my Samsung Galaxy Tab 6 (latest system updates installed, Android version 12) and the Amazon Music app on it resamples output via USB to 192 kHz fixed rate. Tested it with Topping DX3Pro DAC which does not display bit depth (only sampling rate) but I assume depth is 24 bit.
Yeah. The Apple app and android upsamples to the max rate the dac or spdif converter can support… stupid as… why they don’t let it play native on Apple like every other app I’ll never know! Android it would resample to 48khz if it wasn’t resampled higher anyway

And the app is not great anyway!

I did read that the latest version of android does support bypassing the upsampling, but I’ve not got hold of a device to test and check…

MrOtto

Why doesn't more streaming services support DLNA/UPnP playback? To collect licensing fees for their "connect" service?

Fire stick HDMI out to an extractor into a DAC. Honestly it sounds fantastic. I'm just irked that it's being brought up that there's some kind of signal deprivation.
"Sounds fantastic" were you using Amazon Music HD as your source?

Top Bottom