• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good Timing, speed and laid-back punch/low-mid speakers?

RiseFall

I'm an owner of this setup:

Lyngdorf TDAI-3400+Kef LS50 Meta+official stands filled+dual KEF KC62

The room is treated but is square shaped (not cubic).

When I am in the "bad recording album" territory, I'm totally dislike what my setup show the sound.

I'm aware that part of it can be the room and other part can be the recording.

Imaging those albums of the '90, dance, hip-hop and pop territory. Very, very loud low-mids and punch, they are shooted at me without mercy, I cannot tollerate that.

Instead, I have absolutely no problem with bass and sub-bass. My entire issue is the punch attack, that I find fatiguing.

Since I think I will keep my setup anyway,

There is another speaker famous for timing, speed, recessed low-mids and punch, that could be interesting to try?

Some that "eat" mostly those areas and let me listen to the "bad recording" in better way, not in the "analytical side".

I have not a budget in mind but I think bookshelf because I will surely leave on my KC62's that works beautiful even in my bad shaped room.

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Your impressions sound like you did not use automatic room correction from Lyngdorf either used wrong voicing curve.
I see no reason to look for "permanently equalized" speakers if you have such flexible source as Lyngdorf.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Measure first, decide later.

OP
RiseFall

RiseFall

did not use automatic room correction from Lyngdorf
Nope, as I wrote in another thread elsewhere, it's almost one year that I take measurement and apply RoomPerfect (no matter Focus or Global, no matter what kind of voice I use), and, each time, the result is always that RP adds "weight" to the sound instead of shrink it (as always Dirac or Audyssey do).

My only bad is that the room it's good treated and speakers are 35cm from the walls (10cm from the first bass trap), and the subs are not in the corner stick to the wall but at 30cm from the wall and stick to the Meta's stands.

I should once try RP removing all the treatment and re-positioning the Metas and see what it does.

But my question remains, I'd like to check a speaker with a favorable mid-bass response, for timing, speed and laid-back presentation in that area. I also don't need extension, because I have Dual KC62's for that.

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'd like to check a speaker with a favorable mid-bass response, for timing, speed and laid-back presentation in that area. I also don't need extension, because I have Dual KC62's for that.
You can check ATC SCM40 for example

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
You are basically looking for paper speakers with a bad crossover at let's say 800 Hz that will have a deep there (as much I ununderstud you at least). Will be rather hard for folks around here to recommend you such.
Why don't you play with it in digital domain? I mean it doesn't cost you anything and you can perfectly pool it up for let's say ± two loudness level's you can comprehend (let's say ±3 dB).
Unfortunately there are lots of sources that are permanently ruined (to compressed, with phase problems or simply dreadful) and their for losst.
Do you use some software audio player?
If it has VST (2,3) plugin support and you are willing to play try PTEq-X voice EQ part to simulate (to some extent) what you want (so you get sure what you really, really want).
DSC_0456.JPG
MQ5 part for vocals and PEQ1A part to tune bandwidth. It's by the way simulation of 1950's tube pasive EQ.
I don't know where you live or can you audition some of the remakes of widely used studio monitors or speakers from that time (like NS10 Avaton's or JBL L100 Classic) but even if you do keep it steady and don't rush into it.

Propheticus

a speaker with a favorable mid-bass response
It makes more sense to first play with speaker placement and EQ (and measure) than to trial and error look for speakers that happens to have a frequency curve that perfectly matches the (dip) you want to compensate for your specific rooms (mid bass) gain.
The LS50 Meta's response has been measured to behave well off-axis, so that they're fairly room independent. Which should make it easier to EQ than a less well behaved speaker.

for timing, speed
These don't mean anything.

laid-back presentation in that area
What do you mean by laid-back? Simply lower level?

OP
RiseFall

RiseFall

What do you mean by laid-back?
Some speakers seem to shout at you those punch low-mids attack, like they prefer to use the room as an reinforcement of those movements.

Other speakers seem to "eat" those punch low-mids attack, like they prefer to use themselves (boxed sound) to reproduce those movements.

Don't take my words too seriously, of course, timing and speed could mean nothing, but it's just to explain with words what I try to achieve.

Last edited:

jtgofish

Gale 401s are famous for having very tight rhythmical bass and boogie.They also sound very coherent and "as one".Very few modern speakers can match them for those two traits.
You would need to find a pair that have been properly refurbished as the foam surrounds rot and the crossovers might need some components replaced but once that is done they should be good for another twenty years.
They also need a good high current power amp.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some speakers seem to shout at you those punch low-mids attack, like they prefer to use the room as an reinforcement of those movements.

Other speakers seem to "eat" those punch low-mids attack, like they prefer to use themselves (boxed sound) to reproduce those movements.

Don't take my words too seriously, of course, timing and speed could mean nothing, but it's just to explain with words what I try to achieve.
As stated by others. You need EQ not new speakers. Measure first your in-room frequency response to make sure that frequency response is as expected when doing a 20 to 20kHz sweep (slight and even roll off ca 0.5dB to 1 dB/oct like any other anachoically flat speaker in a room and check that your sub is placed correctly as room induced nulls will reduce bass and “emphasize “ mids/highs). .

If that is ok, apply individual EQ (preference curve) whenever you listen to those “bad “ recordings. Switch it off if you listing to “good” recordings.

Why would you otherwise look intentionally for a badly engineered speaker which exactly would meet the attenuation of the mids as you prefer it - very unlikely to be successful and likely to be costly (in case you want to change the amount of mid attenuation).

Last edited:
OP
RiseFall

RiseFall

These the recent measurements, b=bypass, g=global/roomperfect, my=bypass with my own settings

They are L+R+subs, they are taken from the sweetspot, I'm not still very good at REW.

With a frequency maker app, from the phone via airplay to the lyngdorf, I absolutely don't hear anything at 50hz (as measured), but I hear 40hz and 60hz, while I hear lower than normal what's between 120 to 160 hz, but at least I hear those.

I attack my room front-side and a sketch.

I absolutely like the system's sound exept what is the "punch attack" (luckily there's also some content where I like it).

Attachments

• my3.jpg
    my3.jpg
    446.2 KB · Views: 60
  • my2.jpg
    my2.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 65
  • my1.jpg
    my1.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 67
  • g4.jpg
    g4.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 64
  • g3.jpg
    g3.jpg
    445 KB · Views: 52
  • g2.jpg
    g2.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 63
  • g1.jpg
    g1.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 60
  • b4.jpg
    b4.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 64
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    440.9 KB · Views: 46
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 62
  • b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 66
  • my4.jpg
    my4.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 65

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
These the recent measurements, b=bypass, g=global/roomperfect, my=bypass with my own settings

They are L+R+subs, they are taken from the sweetspot, I'm not still very good at REW.

With a frequency maker app, from the phone via airplay to the lyngdorf, I absolutely don't hear anything at 50hz (as measured), but I hear 40hz and 60hz, while I hear lower than normal what's between 120 to 160 hz, but at least I hear those.

I attack my room front-side and a sketch.

I absolutely like the system's sound exept what is the "punch attack" (luckily there's also some content where I like it).
Im seeying a huge cancelation at 125hz~~~~, thats explain why you feel the system lack of mid bass things..

OP
RiseFall

RiseFall

Unluckily, I'm not complain about "lack of mid bass" but I complain that I have it too much, and with RoomPerfect, it's even more.

Maybe this "feeling" is that cancelation?

I'm moving heavily everything seeing what happen, I need to re-do a new REW measurement, I gave free area behind and on the side first reflections, but I'm leaving heavy treatment in the corners.

upraj

I'm an owner of this setup:

Lyngdorf TDAI-3400+Kef LS50 Meta+official stands filled+dual KEF KC62

The room is treated but is square shaped (not cubic).

When I am in the "bad recording album" territory, I'm totally dislike what my setup show the sound.

I'm aware that part of it can be the room and other part can be the recording.

Imaging those albums of the '90, dance, hip-hop and pop territory. Very, very loud low-mids and punch, they are shooted at me without mercy, I cannot tollerate that.

Instead, I have absolutely no problem with bass and sub-bass. My entire issue is the punch attack, that I find fatiguing.

Since I think I will keep my setup anyway,

There is another speaker famous for timing, speed, recessed low-mids and punch, that could be interesting to try?

Some that "eat" mostly those areas and let me listen to the "bad recording" in better way, not in the "analytical side".

I have not a budget in mind but I think bookshelf because I will surely leave on my KC62's that works beautiful even in my bad shaped room.
Did You Try listening to Dynaudio lets say the latest Emit30 or 50 to start with, those are laid back speakers but slightly moody. Since you are only looking for second pair for bad recordings and keep the shouty party away, Onkyo SKF 4800 have amazing treble and bass and it cuts out all the harshness.

Top Bottom