• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good quality RCA > XLR cables

Linus

Cool. Just ordered a bunch of stuff from them so I can build 3 cables. Also needed the XLR sockets for my amp build, so that worked out that they carry those as well.
Cool! Let is know how it goes. Don’t forget the bright colour sleeves, that’s how people know they were expensive.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
For an RCA to XLR interconnect, any good Shielded Twisted Pair (STP) cable with a braided shield will do.
The real discussion should be about whether the shield should be connected at the RCA end or not. Some papers or drawing indicate yes while others no.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, maybe I should, since I'll also be building my own amp. But then, where can I get good quality wires/cables, that are well shielded?

Ideally with fairy dust so I can hear the angels singing. /s

Several sources.....I'm still working on some Belden I bought to make some along with Neutrik connectors. The fairy dust, just sprinkle your own on.... :)

OP
S

starfly

Forum Donor
Several sources.....I'm still working on some Belden I bought to make some along with Neutrik connectors. The fairy dust, just sprinkle your own on.... :)

Thanks, I ended up ordering Mogami. They didn't carry any Belden for the type of cable I was looking for at Redco.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Too modest, Wayne...

Direct link to the good stuff: https://www.hometheatershack.com/th...ed-diy-guide-to-making-your-own-cables.13000/

The good thing about Wayne's tutorial IMO is that it not only discusses what to do and use, he discusses what not to do and use. The not part of this stuff is what most of us learn the hard way.

"Experience comes from making lots of mistakes. Wisdom is learning from them. So far, I've got lots of experience." - me

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Too modest, Wayne...

Direct link to the good stuff: https://www.hometheatershack.com/th...ed-diy-guide-to-making-your-own-cables.13000/

The good thing about Wayne's tutorial IMO is that it not only discusses what to do and use, he discusses what not to do and use. The not part of this stuff is what most of us learn the hard way.

"Experience comes from making lots of mistakes. Wisdom is learning from them. So far, I've got lots of experience." - me

Thanks for the kind words, Don. I tried a direct link but when I posted it only opened HT Shack's front page. Either I'm cursed, of you have some kind of voodoo!

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

By far I think Grimm TPR and Belden 1804A are much easier to tear apart.
Ain't gonna argue that!

However, the Canare is more supple than Mogami at least (which is also easy to work with). Won't make a difference behind an audio rack, but it sure did for my guitar cables.

The Canare isn't that bad if you use the proper tool to pick the braid apart...

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Any opinion on Gotham cables - like Gotham GAC 4/1 Quad cables?

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Fine cables. But they are thicker in diameter. It depends on whether you need it to be strong. For rack use I won't bother.

You are right, thicker but still flexible enough.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ain't gonna argue that!

However, the Canare is more supple than Mogami at least (which is also easy to work with). Won't make a difference behind an audio rack, but it sure did for my guitar cables.

The Canare isn't that bad if you use the proper tool to pick the braid apart...

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
I don't remember now which Belden I used for some XLR's. It was rather stiff. Not really hard to put ends on, and it was very slender, but when finished it didn't want to bend very easily. Definitely not something you'd want on microphones for that reason. Okay for equipment connections. The Canare suppleness is something I Iike, but Mogami is plenty good as you say.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Belden makes a bunch of different cables, as do Canare and Mogami.

What would be cool is a list/ranking of cables folk have used but that would probably be tough to compile and sort.

The trend towards huge, thick, inflexible cables is ridiculous IMO. Good cables need not be so thick and hard to bend.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
One 2003 Audio Engineering Society paper tested about seventeen cables, but you have to decode the model numbers:

BA - A 0.262" diameter rubber covered portable microphone cable with a braid shield. This cable was Muncy's cable #2. [1]
BDA - A 0.194" diameter 76 ohm twisted-pair braid/drain-shielded portable microphone cable.
BDAM - A 0.138" diameter 60 ohm twisted-pair braid/drain-shielded portable cable.
BD95 - A 0.272" diameter 95 ohm twisted-pair braid/drain-shielded portable cable.
BDD1 - A 0.211" diameter 110 ohm twisted-pair braid/drain-shielded portable cable.
BDD2 - A 0.235" diameter low-loss 110 ohm twisted-pair braid/drain-shielded portable cable.
BDQ - A 0.24" diameter quad-star braid/drain shielded portable microphone cable.
BF - A 0.14" diameter twisted-pair braid/foil shielded cable for fixed installation.
CP A 0.25" diameter portable twisted-pair microphone cable with a conductive carbon plastic shield.
FDA1 - A 0.135" diameter twisted-pair foil/drain shielded cable.
FDA2 - A 0.14" diameter 60 ohm twisted-pair foil/drain-shielded cable.
FDA3 - A 0.138" diameter 45 ohm twisted-pair foil/drain-shielded cable. This cable was Muncy's cable #5. [1]
FDA4 - A 0.132" diameter twisted-pair foil/drain shielded cable.
FDD1 - A 0.143" diameter 110 ohm twisted-pair foil/drain-shielded cable.
FDD2 - A 0.19" diameter low-loss 110 ohm twisted pair foil/drain-shielded cable.
SA - A 0.19" diameter portable microphone cable with three twisted conductors and two served copper
spiral shields wrapped in opposition. This cable was Muncy's cable #1. [1]
SD - A 0.204" diameter 110 ohm twisted-pair cable with two spiral shields wrapped in opposition.

and you have to puzzle out the charts as well.
http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/AES-SCIN-ASGWeb.pdf

OP
S

starfly

Forum Donor
So when making a RCA > XLR cable, is it better to connect pin 1 and 3 at the RCA side (ie, attach both to the RCA shield), or jump them on the XLR side?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Thanks for the kind words, Don. I tried a direct link but when I posted it only opened HT Shack's front page. Either I'm cursed, of you have some kind of voodoo!

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

No, maybe I am just less cursed, or maybe it's because I held the PC's power cord threateningly when I copied the link so it behaved... ;) Definitely no voodoo.

Dreyfus

So when making a RCA > XLR cable, is it better to connect pin 1 and 3 at the RCA side (ie, attach both to the RCA shield), or jump them on the XLR side?

RANE recommends:

RCA Out to XLR In:
2-conductor shielded cable
shield lifted at the RCA and connected to pin 1
common ground from the RCA connected to pin 3

XLR Out to RCA In:
2-conductor shielded cable
shield lifted at the RCA and connected to pin 1, then shorted to pin 3
common ground from the RCA connected to pin 3

Source: https://www.ranecommercial.com/kb_article.php?article=2107

But it probably depends on the circuit of the input.

Top Bottom