• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good outside audio blocking headphones solely for listening to music/gaming

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not much an Ryzen 3600 and GTX1070 in big old larger midi tower with two 140 mm front (Artic F140 CO) and two 120 mm TT's back (one back case and one directly put back on MB on bord V/VRAM CMOS rail's). It's not hard to get it under control both sonically and regarding temperatures on this weather but when it's get hot you can't keep both. It doesn't bother me neither for music listening or gaming - multimedia. It bothers me when I really want peace and quiet (to rest) and don't want to shut it down (for example because I whose working on something) so not a big thing. However idea of throwing it out and completely forgetting about it (not hearing, seeing or increasing heat in room) sounds very tempting to me (wake over LAN one or two USB's and HDMI cable's...).
I've seen a installation where the PC was in another room with a hole in the wall for the cables to reach the peripherals and monitor. Today with wireless mouse and keyboard it should be pretty easy to do.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I've seen a installation where the PC was in another room with a hole in the wall for the cables to reach the peripherals and monitor. Today with wireless mouse and keyboard it should be pretty easy to do.
Well those extensions USB cable's I mentioned are ment for RF sticks among other things and trogh hub for less important peripherals like mause and keyboard (actually my current keyboard one has a good range about 6~7 meters but mause and gamepad ones are only about 4).
It really doesn't cost me almost anything so I will try it this summer.
Forget to mention SPDIF - Toslink cable that I will also need.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Mine is like that now, though the primary reason was to move a source of heat out of the room and keep it cooler.

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There isn't much reason beyond bad configuration for a pc in the home to make noise these days.

Def want noise cancelling headphones, dt770's don't really have isolation worth mentioning. A lot of the time I'll use some earbuds/iem's and put the 770's over top if I want a ton of isolation. I have a pair of noise cancelling headphones that I don't really use for music, I use them to shut the world up for some time and have actual silence.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@mightycicadalord you wish. Overbined GPU's and over voltaged CPU's from factory both OCd and under voltaged (by me) and how ever you take it still noisy. I live in a environment with very low environmental noise so for me PC making 30 dB noise is audible that for most folks wouldn't be as level of environment noise where they live is on that level or even higher. It's not that I can't make it run more silent but not without losing colling potential. My CPU OCd (sipping some 110~120 W) doesn't go over 65°C under heavy AVX loads and stays under or at 50° when gaming while idling on low 30's and on board MOSFET's stay in mid to lo 30's all the time (that's 10° below average good air cooling design and overly much better than water or any conventional colling regarding MOSFET's which can go and up to 90's with MB's without heatsinks in cases with little to no airflow), GPU goes over 80 under full loads but little I can do about that (certainly won't buy a new one until prices become normal again, could put Kyronaut instead MX-4 but that's 1~2° less) I have actual silence naturally if you wish and it's relaxing and I intend to keep it. I use old laptop with 2 TB SSD and Pentium J operating fanless and completely silent as a DLNA server for music (which works well but it's only enough for that purpose).

Vict0r

@mightycicadalord you wish. Overbined GPU's and over voltaged CPU's from factory both OCd and under voltaged (by me) and how ever you take it still noisy. I live in a environment with very low environmental noise so for me PC making 30 dB noise is audible that for most folks wouldn't be as level of environment noise where they live is on that level or even higher. It's not that I can't make it run more silent but not without losing colling potential. My CPU OCd (sipping some 110~120 W) doesn't go over 65°C under heavy AVX loads and stays under or at 50° when gaming while idling on low 30's and on board MOSFET's stay in mid to lo 30's all the time (that's 10° below average good air cooling design and overly much better than water or any conventional colling regarding MOSFET's which can go and up to 90's with MB's without heatsinks in cases with little to no airflow), GPU goes over 80 under full loads but little I can do about that (certainly won't buy a new one until prices become normal again, could put Kyronaut instead MX-4 but that's 1~2° less) I have actual silence naturally if you wish and it's relaxing and I intend to keep it. I use old laptop with 2 TB SSD and Pentium J operating fanless and completely silent as a DLNA server for music (which works well but it's only enough for that purpose).

I run a 3600XT and, despite the Arctic Freezer 280 AIO cooler (which I bought because of the Gamers Nexus review), it still gets hotter than your 50 degrees during gaming, so you're doing something right! :D Although the XT is slighter hotter than the regular 3600, I suppose. I can bake an egg on my 3070 Aorus Master, btw. :p

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I run a 3600XT and, despite the Arctic Freezer 280 AIO cooler (which I bought because of the Gamers Nexus review), it still gets hotter than your 50 degrees during gaming, so you're doing something right! :D Although the XT is slighter hotter than the regular 3600, I suppose. I can bake an egg on my 3070 Aorus Master, btw. :p
I undervolt and OC so it's 4250 MHz @ 1.1 V (goes 4350 with 1.2 or 4050 with 1 V) and I use a fan put on the back directly over MOSFET's and CPU back plate (which helps a lot with MOSFET's [10~15 °] and a little bit 1~2° regarding CPU). The real reason for such unusual aprouch is that way I can keep all fans on lo RPM when idling while having great temperatures regarding MOSFET's (which otherwise get hot and it's more prominent if you OC RAM so you increase the RMP of front fans or what ever can put some breeze over them to cool them down).

By the way AMD broke RAM OC (among other things) with last two Aegis updates so avoid them (BIOS) if you really don't need last BIOS security patch and security system module (for Win 11 which they also brake but it's supposedly fixed with last update [about 10 days ago]).

Tip for you see if that AIO comes with P140 or F140 and switch them to F (preferably CO) one's if their are P one's. Sound wired but Artic 140 mm regular F one's have better airflow then pressure optimised ones (contrary to 120 mm one's).

Re-edit: see Alpenföhn RGB lineup which are pricy if you wish similar design/performance to Artic non RGB ones (Coshair also has a serie or two of good performing RGB one's on high RMP but they get rather loud spinning like that and unfortunately don't keep good airflow on lower RPM). As I remembered how much you like to mod with lights before.

Last edited:

mightycicadalord

I've since evolved from OC tinkering dude, to I just want my pc to sit in the corner and I don't really want to know it exists.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not much an Ryzen 3600 and GTX1070 in big old larger midi tower with two 140 mm front (Artic F140 CO) and two 120 mm TT's back (one back case and one directly put back on MB on bord V/VRAM CMOS rail's). It's not hard to get it under control both sonically and regarding temperatures on this weather but when it's get hot you can't keep both. It doesn't bother me neither for music listening or gaming - multimedia. It bothers me when I really want peace and quiet (to rest) and don't want to shut it down (for example because I whose working on something) so not a big thing. However idea of throwing it out and completely forgetting about it (not hearing, seeing or increasing heat in room) sounds very tempting to me (wake over LAN one or two USB's and HDMI cable's...).
I've been an avid gamer for years, the best headphones for sound isolation is the Beyerdynamic MMX300, or if you want an all in one solution the Hyperx Cloud Orbit or S model which are selling incredibly cheap on eBay from the liquidators these days. I have both and they both will seal off enough noise even with a loud video card. The DT770 250 ohm is a really nice choice too if you have some power for it. It's more neutral than the 80ohm, which has too much bass for gaming (explosions drown out everything) but the 250 ohm is just fine.
If your system is too loud at idle, simply go to the BIOS and set fan curves so they idle at 900rpm at room temperature. I use fans called "Gentle Typhoon" and they're specially tuned not to hit frequencies annoying to people even at full blast. I use two 1895RPM ones on the CPU tower cooler and you'd never notice when they hit full speed. They're really hard to find though.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@Dunring he heh I whose playing from the Booble Bobble and Ghost and Goblins days.
Cheap good solution is always deacent IEM's with memory foam. Wouldn't really go for HyperX or such "gaming" hedaphones, Sennheiser had some solid one's (before Heos).
Don't worry we have Beyerdynamic expert (including mods and all hire) it's solderdude.
Try Fan Control app (or alike) for tuning fans don't do it in bios.
Pitch is a real thing and always choose one's that aren't very irritating and try to stay with one type and model of fan's as much as possible as it's better to have only one pitch then several of them.
Anyway thanks for your help.

Top Bottom