• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good open-back ~$200-ish headphone?

weasels

Interesting review of the HD560s.

I really like my HD6XX, but sometimes go back to my Grado 325s because the soundstage on the Grados is much, much wider than the Sennheisers. Cans that combine elements of both would be very intriguing.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You could say it is as forward and open sounding as a Grado but with Sennheiser comfort and better bass extension.
The HD6XX is warmer and less forward and a narrower stereo image.

thomasjast

You could say it is as forward and open sounding as a Grado but with Sennheiser comfort and better bass extension.

I recently re-bought the HD599 and I just love them. The (overly, to some) warm midbass is exactly what I like about it. They really shine on wimpy sources like a DualShock 4 output where a 6XX is pretty quiet at max volume. This new 560S seems like a real winner if it fixes the midbass hump (for some)!

goldark

Forum Donor

How does detail on the 560S compare to the rest of the Senn 500/600 series headphones?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I recently re-bought the HD599 and I just love them.

Then you probably won't like the HD560S. The 599 is overly warm/bassy. The HD560 is not.

How does detail on the 560S compare to the rest of the Senn 500/600 series headphones?

Not as 'smooth' as HD6xx series. There is more sparkle. Closest to HD600 but with better bass extension and even more forward.

3125b

Major Contributor
So you are saying I should buy one when it becomes a little more affordable (if it follows the HD500s path, and not 600s, wich have become more expensive over the years for some reason).
Edit: Alright, ordering the 560S right now from the official Sennheiser store would be 173,73€ delivered. Not too bad.
Do you have a comparison against the T90?

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It is a HD600 'esque' sounding headphone with more bass extension and wider soundstage and some emphasis in the 5kHz area and built in China to keep the costs down.
With a filter I personally like how it sounds. It is not a replacement for the HD6** range nor a typical HD5** range.
It is a headphone unlike the current HD5** and HD6** range.
The HD560S is marketted as the little brother of the HD660S but other than HD6_0S I hear nor see any likeniss.
It is a different 'signature' with some excellent qualities for those that do not like warm sound and prefer a wider stereo image.
The headphone has potential (with some EQ) for being an excellent, cheap and lightweight neutral headphone.

I do expect the headphone price to drop to the 120 - 150 Euro range in a few years but maybe it won't.
I would say at € 173,73 you will have an excellent headphone. EQ down around 5kHz (approx 6dB with a wider Q) and you'll probably like it.

Not measured the T90 but expect less 'sharpness' and more 'forward/clarity' and more 'neutral' (less midbass/warmth) sound.

IMO it fits the Good open-back ~$200-ish headphone request for sure. May not be everyone's cup of tea.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Same as HD5xx range. Lightweight, clamping force somewhat above pleasant but not too high. Pads are the exact same ones as used on the HD559.

MadMan

This might not mean much based purely off other people's impressions, but the 560S appears to me to be a consumer-friendly evolution of the HD6-- headphones. A bit more bass and bass extension, less expensive, maybe not as repairable (? - would need to see a teardown and see what parts Sennheiser sells). Overall a really good entry into the headphone market, kind of a middle-of-the-road all-arounder.

Interesting though that @solderdude and some others talk about bass extension, while the diyaudio measurements show that while there is a bit more bass, it's not what I would call a flat 'extension' like some planars or whatever have. Maybe the lack of mid-bass warmth adds to the subjective impression of extension ?

*edit: haha, I just realized solderdude runs diyaudioheaven :)

Last edited:

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Same as HD5xx range. Lightweight, clamping force somewhat above pleasant but not too high. Pads are the exact same ones as used on the HD559.
I am a newbie in headphones world.
Do you have a recommendation for a headphone amp that would work great with hd560s? Thanks!

3125b

Major Contributor
They're easy to drive, doesn't really matter, just get something with reasonably low output impedance.
Mainboard onboard soundchips often have a high output impedance, so they will boost the bass audibly.
A good dongle would do the trick, the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro (about 40$ from China) would do the trick nicely, the Meizu HiFi Pro would also work fine. Something like that, you could look through the reviews.
A full desktop setup would be 200$ and up, and would give you some power reserve for harder to drive headphones. Just for the 560S it's not needed and therefor not really worth it in my opinion.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
They're easy to drive, doesn't really matter, just get something with reasonably low output impedance.
Mainboard onboard soundchips often have a high output impedance, so they will boost the bass audibly.
A good dongle would do the trick, the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro (about 40$ from China) would do the trick nicely, the Meizu HiFi Pro would also work fine. Something like that, you could look through the reviews.
A full desktop setup would be 200$ and up, and would give you some power reserve for harder to drive headphones. Just for the 560S it's not needed and therefor not really worth it in my opinion.
Thank you! I will look through your recommendations!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
This might not mean much based purely off other people's impressions, but the 560S appears to me to be a consumer-friendly evolution of the HD6-- headphones. A bit more bass and bass extension, less expensive, maybe not as repairable (? - would need to see a teardown and see what parts Sennheiser sells). Overall a really good entry into the headphone market, kind of a middle-of-the-road all-arounder.

Interesting though that @solderdude and some others talk about bass extension, while the diyaudio measurements show that while there is a bit more bass, it's not what I would call a flat 'extension' like some planars or whatever have. Maybe the lack of mid-bass warmth adds to the subjective impression of extension ?

*edit: haha, I just realized solderdude runs diyaudioheaven :)

The HD560S lacks the midbass hump. This also means relatively sub-bass is higher in level. Then you would have to realize most of the bass in music is in the 40-60 Hz region and bass extension is an octave lower so 20-30Hz.
30 Hz is about -1dB (and I also have kind of Harman-alike bass 'boost' in the plots but less in amplitude and not as 'steep' as Harman but based on loudness contour) and 20Hz is only -5dB in my plots and then have a look at plots of say LCD-2 you will also see about -5dB at 20Hz.
Sooo.. bass extension is very similar to LCD-2 with even slightly more bass (40-60Hz region) as the LCD-2.
No rattling, boomy bass (it would have to be over the 90dB line for that) but well extended it is and quite low in distortion.
Indeed, bass sounds similar extended as the Edition XX for instance.
Quite impressive for an open dynamic headphone.

Last edited:

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Audio Technica ATH Series (Open, bright, airy and detailed, mids and highs focused)
HiFiMan HE400i V2 2020 (No experience)
HiFiMan HE4XX (Open, elevated upper mids, spacious and detailed, fun but controlled bass)
Sennheiser H6XX (Open, Intimate, warm, elevated mids, rolled off highs, controlled bass, poor soundstage)
Grado SR225 (Open, very bright, cool and detailed, elevated highs)
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro (Open, bright, cool, detailed, elevated lows and highs, very large soundstage)

If you can handle the hot treble, Beyerdynamics will be best for gaming, for a mix of music and games, my vote is HiFiMan.

Last edited:

Objectivist01

What would the pros and cons of the Hd6xx be for what I'm looking for?
Cons: no wide soundstage like a really open headphone mainly due to its rather dull treble.

Pros: durable, reasonably even very natural tonality more most music. Very easy to listen due to its dull treble.

Top Bottom