• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good open-back ~$200-ish headphone?

Mr:River

Not as 'smooth' as HD6xx series. There is more sparkle. Closest to HD600 but with better bass extension and even more forward.

(Even more ahead)
Does this mean a more frontal presentation, a feeling of stage formation in front of us?

I ask why I like a frontal image more, as if I were really enjoying a presentation in front of me, I remember that with HD598 I noticed this frontal formation and today with HE400i I don’t feel it, HE400i is like everything is right on top of me, it gets to be annoying sometimes.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
For me it never goes more frontal. This is a personal thing I am unable to hear not even with binaural recordings.

With forward I mean the effect you get when listening to music while getting closer to the performance.
When you are in the back of a venue everything sounds more 'bassy' as higher mid tones are absorbed.
The further you move towards the stage the 'clearer' the sound gets.
Forwardness is in the 1-2kHz range and clarity in the 2-5kHz range (try this with a graphic EQ).

There is a bump somewhat peaking (just few dB) in the 4-5kHz which gives it more clarity and forwardness than 'neutral' would be.
Even more so than HD600.

Stereo imaging is 'wider' and the ability to pinpoint instruments in the stereo image is easier and more 'stable' (less fuzzy) in the HD560S.
In this aspect it is closer to the HD800 than HD6** series and think it is better than HD59* series as these have lifted lows which muddies the sound.
Some like that, I don't.

bobbooo

Major Contributor

It's likely just a repainted HifiMan Deva, and is worse than the $60 cheaper HE4XX, with less bass response:

qwX5yqVoSwiJbxzLI8SI_2.jpg

Reactions: PSO

bobbooo

Major Contributor
If you are passionate enough to gossip around and poop on the entire collaboration line solely based on speculations, why not try them yourself and, well I don't know, be your own judge like an adult instead of relying solely on a few internet gossips and opinions of reviewers who most likely have different taste and ears?

Why can't we learn the lesson? A lot of people were passionate to spread the rumor about Sennheiser HD 58X and HD 660S. Oh, they have the same look, same impedance, and very similar frequency range. Even the shape of the driver look very similar and rumors were rampant across the community. For crying out loud, there are people who still believe this to be the case. We now know that this is absolutely not true.

Do you work for HifiMan?

OP
S

starfly

Forum Donor
Others have suggested HD 6xx. Do try 560S too. solderdude has given a detailed review, as you might know.
I can wear 6xx for a long time, and I don't feel its weight - I am not sure if the lack of fatigue is due to its fit (for my head), or its sound signature doesn't cause fatigue.

I ended up keeping the Fidelio X2HR and put different earpads on it (Brainwavz Micro Suede), and stretched the headband a bit. Much more comfortable now, so don't feel the need to spend any additional money :)

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, that's just what HiFiman told Drop.

Did you see the message from Drop about the driver? They are emphatic it is not the DEVA: "The 5XX's magnetic field makeup is unique, the magnet array design is unique, the diaphragm tension and coatings are unique."

OP
S

starfly

Forum Donor
Yes, that is exactly the reason I really hate those internet gossips and those people were passionate to spread the rumor. Let me say that again, If you are passionate enough to gossip around and poop on the entire collaboration line solely based on speculations, why not try them yourself and, well I don't know, be your own judge like an adult instead of relying solely on a few internet gossips and opinions of reviewers who most likely have different taste and ears?

Please stop it with all the bold text, comes across as angry and shouty.

Also, you have the Hifiman logo as your avatar. Do you work for Hifiman? If so, you should identify yourself to @amirm so your profile is appropriately tagged and people will know how to interpret your comments.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I recently got the Drop 6XX 'phones, also the Topping E/L30 DAC/Amp pair. Nice, but as previously stated, there's a broad upper bass/lower midrange hump, just the sort of thing that can be EQed out. Lo and behold, soon landed on the freeware APO EQ. It's parametric EQ as software, no latency to speak of and it's perfect for my system. Previously I was using Stax earspeakers. The clarity and overall sonic quality of the Drop 6XX + EQ reminds me a lot of the Stax 'phones. The bass, when properly eq-ed, is better. I don't know about gaming, but the stereo image is what I expect from headphones, no more or less.

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Equlizer APO already has GUI and easy enough to use, but PEACE does offer something that is not obvious. For example I did not know that LR crossover was actually two lower order Butterworth crossover.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Thanks for all the EQ inputs, Robin, Raistlin, (big) Jack. I have never used EQ for headphones, only did tape player EQ settings, long ago. Since I don't know what i am supposed to do, these tips are a good place to start.
ASR and solderdude's website have some great info, but probably I get overwhelmed (or plain lazy :) ) to read and apply them.
For 6xx, I am mostly fine (vocals wise). For Hifiman 400i, I am sure EQ settings will improve them further.
DIY Audio Heaven is a real good resource. The writing on the Sennheiser 6XX series [650, 600, 660, the Drop 6XX] is very helpful and informative. I determined the EQ by reversing the frequency response of the Drop 6XX [same as the 650], dropping the broad lower mid-range, upper bass hump centered around 170 hz by -2.5 db, boosting the octave around 2khz by 2db, boosting the bottom two octaves and the top octave to taste [more like 6db slopes]. The Sennheiser 560s looks very promising, nails it at $200 and doesn't have the "Hump" of the Drop 6XX. However, the build of the Drop 6XX 'phones is better and doubtless more durable. I've also got the Sennheiser 579 and 599 and do not recommend those headphones.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have been told drivers are still produced in Ireland and only assembly takes place in Romania.
Has this changed ? I measured HD58X from Ireland and Romania and were exactly the same.
Haven't measured many though. Sonarworks has and has shown that a while back (before Romania) there were some changes in FR.
This can be found on SBAF.
I don't think they found SQ or measurements have changed since the move to Romania (assembly)

Someone also told me (claimed he heard this from Sonarworks) that HD6XX is not the same as HD650 but it is close and consistent.

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sennhieser spare parts (USA) sneakily doesn't mention the driver for HD6XX (same story with HD58X).
https://spares.sennheiser.com/catalog/product/507416-hd-6xx-massdrop

HD650 is a different part number to HD600, but images found around the 'net look very similar, for what that is worth.
https://spares.sennheiser.com/catalog/product/508825-hd-650
https://spares.sennheiser.com/catalog/product/508824-hd-600

From all of the bits and bobs I've read around the internet, indication points to the driver being the same, perhaps with a small part change 600-650. 650 probably get the better crop of drivers, 6XX get the lesser performing ones. Easy way to dump almost as good products for profit. This could also be utter BS too, so, you know...
Would be good if someone had a crop of current models <9 months to measure and compare.

I've seen HD6XX in the MassDrop (yes, older 'Mass'-Drop) box and it had HD 650 on the underside of the packaging. Make of that what you will, but I think everyone has said 650 = 6XX for a long while now, for all intents purposes.

This sodding pandemic is REALLY getting frustrating. I want to go into a store and try some headphones and walk out with my favourite. I don't mind paying a little more for the privilege of trying out in a bricks and mortar store. I'm holding out for the 27th to see what deal happens. I
I'm favouring the HD 600 from the general consensus on tonal signature, but would take HD 650 if the price was right. Both seem a little pricey today for 1997 and 2003 products. I really don't care that Sennheiser have re-tooled the aesthetic design, and don't mind having a kitchen worktop on my head. £190 and £220 in UK shops and they would not keep up with demand. Mind, at that price it'd kill their low tier stuff.

Top Bottom