• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good measuring floorstanding speakers with sensitivity above 95 dB

guenthi_r

Hi all

What are the better measuring floorstanding speakers out there, with sensitivity above 95 dB ?

I am building some Speakers for my living room, i can say, its hard to get 95dB if the Bafflestep is corrected...
Now i am at 93dB/2.83V from 40-20000 Hz.

mitchco

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
No idea. The ones supplied with the M2 have the correct correction and crossover parameters loaded for those speakers. i would guess they could do the same for others but I don't know. They seem not to want to supply the details of the correction and crossover as a file so one can use the DSP and amp of your choice.
The details you want should be available on the Crown site.

Member @pos provides the details of the correction and crossover for the M2

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe the discrepancy in efficiency measurements of some speakers is due to manufacturers measuring them in room placed in a corner.

The JBL M2 may also be powered by a Crown I-tech 4x3500HD amplifier with built in DSP. There is a "tuning" for it on the M2 Product page.

Another Bob

Forum Donor
The JBL Studio 590 comes pretty close to your target (92 dB @ 2.83V). Professional measurements here. In-room measurement of my own pair below. This is just my first measurement in my new house - no room treatment, DSP, or other optimization (yet). Measured with REW at the listening position, both channels driven, 1/12 octave smoothing.
Studio 590.jpg

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The JBL Studio 590 comes pretty close to your target (92 dB @ 2.83V). Professional measurements here. In-room measurement of my own pair below. This is just my first measurement in my new house - no room treatment, DSP, or other optimization (yet). Measured with REW at the listening position, both channels driven, 1/12 octave smoothing.
View attachment 31125

I hope someone at Harman?Samsung is reading this: JBL makes too many good products that are stupidly marketed. Their range of products is all over the place...
And their distribution is as horrendous ... WTF? :mad:

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It's pretty stupid what they did with the 590. Unavailible in any territory outside of USA. Can't even get them in Canada. And now they don't even sell them at all anymore. I know someone who was interested but it's been impossible to get them here outside of using a possibly unreliable dropship service.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It's pretty stupid what they did with the 590. Unavailible in any territory outside of USA. Can't even get them in Canada. And now they don't even sell them at all anymore. I know someone who was interested but it's been impossible to get them here outside of using a possibly unreliable dropship service.
I've heard this repeated a number of times like it's some sort of discrimination. Fact is Harman is business like any other, if they saw the market as large enough to invest in distribution, etc, they would. If the dollars make sense, maybe Samsung will see things different, no one turns their back on profits.

And now they don't even sell them at all anymore
Harman site shows them "in stock and ready to ship here" ?
https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STUDIO+590.html

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I wonder how they'd perform with 'just' a Benchmark AHB2 (state of the art), for example
The M2 was designed to be a fully active system like any other with the exception that everything isn't inside the box. They've offered 2 version with either Crown or Mark Levinson power to satisfy the home user, a market the M2 was never initially meant for. There is now a lot of info available for the enterprising audiophile if they decide to take a more DIY approach.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
My best friend has Sony SS-G3 and SS-G5 but he needs to get them repaired.

Let me guess, he's killed the tweeters? They can be fixed.

Once you've seen and heard the big SS-G7s, there's no going back to silly little bookshelf speakers.

And if you ever run into a pair of these (SS-G9) at a garage/yard sale, be sure to grab them:

1565563744024.png

1565563690078.png

576,000 YEN in 1979!

Severian

Forum Donor
I have a set of BIC RTR-EV15s in my living room which are 95dB efficient. The output all the way down to the mid-20s off home theater receiver power is staggering, especially with a house curve to boost the bass and tame the treble. At $400, I'm convinced they're the best deal in audio.

Anyway, I'm surprised there has been no discussion of the high efficiency designs from DIY Sound Group in here. I'm thinking about building a pair of their new coaxials that are rated at 96dB.

cranfan95

Let me guess, he's killed the tweeters? They can be fixed.

Once you've seen and heard the big SS-G7s, there's no going back to silly little bookshelf speakers.

And if you ever run into a pair of these (SS-G9) at a garage/yard sale, be sure to grab them:

I'm that friend, the G3 work fine and sound great. The G5 I brought home from a local pickup and they don't sound right - tinny and distant. I'm not sure if something is wrong with the tweeters or crossovers, what's more the issue seems to plague both speakers. I would love a pair of G7 if they popped up locally.

I am not sure if they qualify as 'good measuring' but the new line of Radian coaxial drivers can be made to sound very good in a larger ported cabinet. They are designed with pro use in mind so high output with high power handling capabilities. Radian does seem keen to fudge their numbers a bit so I'm not sure I would trust the graphs on their site but I sure like the sound of them.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a set of BIC RTR-EV15s in my living room which are 95dB efficient. The output all the way down to the mid-20s off home theater receiver power is staggering, especially with a house curve to boost the bass and tame the treble. At $400, I'm convinced they're the best deal in audio.

I think the BICs seem pretty interesting on paper. I've no idea how they sound IRL.

Totoro

Not quite floorstanding, but pretty big and powerful and he has measurements posted

http://www.pispeakers.com/Measurements/threePi.html

Oh, also, @Duke who posts here sometimes, also makes some cool speakers. I bought a pair of big floorstanding two ways with 15” woofers and compression tweeters in horns from him years ago and still have them. They’re not n his website anymore but you could probably get him to make you a pair.

http://www.audiokinesis.com/

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
Anyone who thinks that Klipsch speakers are too bright should get Beyerdynamic DT770 cans and listen to them at work for a week. That's exactly what I did, now my Fortes are much more well-behaved if not a bit dull ;)

Totoro

Anyone who thinks that Klipsch speakers are too bright should get Beyerdynamic DT770 cans and listen to them at work for a week. That's exactly what I did, now my Fortes are much more well-behaved if not a bit dull ;)
Lol I use those at work too. In the end I ended up eq’ing them a bit. Helps a lot :)

Top Bottom