• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good measuring floorstanding speakers with sensitivity above 95 dB

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
While the JBL M2's aren't over 95db efficient from what I have read they certainly meet the dynamics requirement.

I believe the M2's need to be paired with:

"The System Requires: One Crown® iTech 5000HD power amp for each speaker, or BSS® Soundweb London Processor with Crown Macro-Tech® MA-5000i

Recommended Amplifier Power: 1,200 Watts into 8 ohms"

But that might be for Pro applications?

I wonder how they'd perform with 'just' a Benchmark AHB2 (state of the art), for example

digicidal

Major Contributor

digicidal

Major Contributor
Thanks, I know about the 4367's we discussed above.

But there are other models in the Synthesis range. The 4367 model is the consumer version of the M2?

Yes, at least "based on". Read more here and covered here.

JBL has announced a new home-audio speaker, the 4367, that uses drivers and design elements from the company's professional M2 Master Reference monitor.

Edited... thought it was a review, but it was just a copy of the press release from Harman basically.

digicidal

Major Contributor
Thanks, I noticed this too: "However, unlike the M2, they do not have any special amplifier or DSP requirements."

Correct... naturally. They're passives... it wouldn't make sense for them to be exactly the same as the M2... because if you really wanted a speaker exactly like the M2 - you would just buy the M2. The 4367's are essentially a passive version with larger grilles and woodgrain finishes for WAF.

digicidal

Major Contributor
I believe they are usually purchased configured with them... but yes the crossover is active DSP based as far as I'm aware.

Well, actually I am wrong apparently... they mention the crossover point in the M2 documentation. So I guess not. So there are even fewer differences than I was aware of. Sorry for the confusion.

JBL engineers pioneered a new patent-pending waveguide design that enables neutral frequency response, not just on-axis, but off-axis in the vertical and horizontal planes, all the way down to the M2’s 800 Hz crossover point.

And considering a pair of I-Tech 5000HDs will set you back another ~$11K the full price for the M2's is quite a bit higher (unless you got the same amps for the 4367's that is).

Last edited:
OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Well, actually I am wrong apparently... they mention the crossover point in the M2 documentation. So I guess not. So there are even fewer differences than I was aware of. Sorry for the confusion.

No problem, thanks for double checking.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The M2's are actives?

They need a Crown amp per speaker, I read? The crossover is active?
Yes, they are active. The Crown amps contain a DSP correction and the main crossover. I believe there is a Levinson amp equivalent for domestic use but it is much more expensive than the Crown (which contains a cooling fan). I believe there are some passive components in the speaker too.
@dallasjustice has done his own DSP and powers a pair with Benchmark amps iirc.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...m2-audiolense-digital-crossovers-w-subs.2369/

digicidal

Major Contributor
Yes, they are active. The Crown amps contain a DSP correction and the main crossover. I believe there is a Levinson amp equivalent for domestic use but it is much more expensive than the Crown (which contains a cooling fan). I believe there are some passive components in the speaker too.
@dallasjustice has done his own DSP and powers a pair with Benchmark amps iirc.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...m2-audiolense-digital-crossovers-w-subs.2369/

OK. That's what I thought, but then when I read the line in the product page for the M2 I thought I must have been wrong. They must be referring to the recommended crossover point or whatever passive protection is on the tweeter at 800Hz.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For domestic use (not the intended use of the M2, but you could) I think you could make do with an older crown unit, or even just a normal hifi amplifier. I'm unsure if the speakers require separate amplification for each channel or if you can just use a regular stereo amplifier. Someone will have to correct me if I'm wrong. And regardless, you will need some kind of digital signal processing unit. Harman specifies the M2 to go down to 20hz, but only with DSP.

You could also use DSP with the JBL 4367... I think if you really look at the situation it's an easy choice to go for the 4367 over the M2, but if you can get a good deal on a pair of used units, and enjoy the idea of tinkering with crown amps with potentially noisy fans, and messing with DSP, the M2 is probably the better choice, even in a domestic environment. For most people the 4367 makes a lot more sense.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think if you really look at the situation it's an easy choice to go for the 4367 over the M2, but if you can get a good deal on a pair of used units, and enjoy the idea of tinkering with crown amps with potentially noisy fans, and messing with DSP, the M2 is probably the better choice, even in a domestic environment.
The DSP and crossover are built into the (normally supplied) Crown amps, so no need for any tinkering just placing the amps where you can't hear the fans.
I would like to hear some but JBL are to all intents and purposes impossible to evaluate here in the UK.

kevinh

There are units like the blu 50’s that you could use with non crown amps. JBL will allow the sap/crossover settings to be loaded in I think jwtrace took this approach

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The DSP and crossover are built into the (normally supplied) Crown amps, so no need for any tinkering just placing the amps where you can't hear the fans.
I would like to hear some but JBL are to all intents and purposes impossible to evaluate here in the UK.
Oh I didn't know that! Do the older crown amps also have built DSP and crossover?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh I didn't know that! Do the older crown amps also have built DSP and crossover?
No idea. The ones supplied with the M2 have the correct correction and crossover parameters loaded for those speakers. i would guess they could do the same for others but I don't know. They seem not to want to supply the details of the correction and crossover as a file so one can use the DSP and amp of your choice.
The details you want should be available on the Crown site.

geek101

Forum Donor
Do have the opportunity to go to RMAF?. If you have dealers close by take a pink noise track + spl meter and demo speakers.

For AMPs apart from THD the ability to handle current requirements with impedance swings of the speaker etc makes a difference.

Are you interested in full range or ok with upto 60Hz ?

Top Bottom