• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good-looking wifi speaker

radix

Major Contributor
I'm looking for a nice looking wifi speaker for the dining room. I will likely just have a single speaker for some background music in the room.

I have a Klipsch The Threes in there right now, but I don't like the sound or connectivity features. The Klipsch is a nice size for the space.

I want Roon + Spotify, and Qobuz is a plus, though I could always throw a Volumio pi on it.

I think I'm leaning towards the KEF LSX II in that champaign fabric edition. In this case, I'd have the stereo pair of speakers.

Maybe the Naim mu-so wood? That's getting on the largish side (about 24" wide, 63cm). Does anyone have experience with this? The connectivity looks good.

The JBL L75ms is really big and does not have all the connectivity I want.

Some other's that might work, aesthetically: B&O Balance, Bowers & Wilkins Wedge, maybe Devialet phantom ii.

I thought about a KEF LS50 w II, but it looks kind of ugly for the space.

Thanks,
Marc

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm looking for a nice looking wifi speaker for the dining room. I will likely just have a single speaker for some background music in the room.

I have a Klipsch The Threes in there right now, but I don't like the sound or connectivity features. The Klipsch is a nice size for the space.

I want Roon + Spotify, and Qobuz is a plus, though I could always throw a Volumio pi on it.

I think I'm leaning towards the KEF LSX II in that champaign fabric edition. In this case, I'd have the stereo pair of speakers.

Maybe the Naim mu-so wood? That's getting on the largish side (about 24" wide, 63cm). Does anyone have experience with this? The connectivity looks good.

Some other's that might work, aesthetically: B&O Balance, Bowers & Wilkins Wedge, maybe Devialet phantom ii.

Thanks,
Marc
Linn did make one, and it was good looking. Pricey though.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Ruark and Dynaudio also make some wi-fi speakers/music systems:

I don't know much about them other than they exist and if I'm honest I haven't paid a great deal of attention these type of products.

OP
radix

radix

Major Contributor
Ruark and Dynaudio also make some wi-fi speakers/music systems:

I don't know much about them other than they exist and if I'm honest I haven't paid a great deal of attention these type of products.
The ruark looks pretty nice. I'll look into that.

Most of the dynaudio are discontinued except the 7, which is nearly 3' wide. That's getting too big for the space.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor

McAllister

this looks pretty grand

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Or one of the bigger ones.

Moonhead

REVO supertone or all in one supersystem, better alternative than Ruark, IMO.

Marc v E

Major Contributor

Thanks,
Marc
Imo this would the ideal solution: B&O Beoplay 6. You can hang it on a wall and it sounds really good. Like hifi speaker good.
Screenshot_20221225-180134_Opera.jpg

Last edited:
OP
radix

radix

Major Contributor
I decided to give the Naim a try. it's returnable, so I'm not too worried. I'll do some REW measurements and see how it looks. I found a frequency response for the previous version. Looks about 55-20k +- 3dB, though it's pretty wiggly. I'm not too sensitive > 10kHz anyway. https://www.soundandvision.com/content/naim-mu-so-music-system-review-test-bench

The Sonus Faber is about the same size as the Naim, and also looks appealing. Maybe I'll try that if the Naim does not pan out.

I think sound-wise, I'd have gotten the best sound & value from the KEF LSX II + sub, but we do not want speaker-looking things in this area.

I did like some of the Ruark styles, but they are difficult to get in the US. I think there's one merchant for them and they have limited selections.

The REVO looked a bit too industrial for us.

The Dynaudio Music 7 and the JBL L75ms are too big, being nearly 3' wide.

OP
radix

radix

Major Contributor
Here's my initial take on the Naim:

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This sounds (ha ha) a lot better to me than the other ideas. Legit hifi speakers, stereo sounds better in a room even if you're nowhere near the sweet spot, and you can always repurpose these in an actual stereo or resell for likely less loss than the other contenders.

D

Deleted member 48726

Try to see if you can find a Libratone Zipp. The company has gone bust but it's still a quality high powered little missile with a lot of different dsp profiles and good sound. Portable as well.

bilzebubba

Thinking about the JBL L75ms for a kitchen redesign, wonder if anyone has experience with it. I have seven Chromecast audio units as streaming endpoints in Roon, and need something that both looks and sounds good (or is invisible, as with those too-pricey [and UK only?] Zuma Lumisonics, which add up into the thousands) and plays well in Roon with Chromecast groups

Moonhead

Highest rated yet besides some massive Jbl.

bilzebubba

Thinking about the JBL L75ms for a kitchen redesign, wonder if anyone has experience with it. I have seven Chromecast audio units as streaming endpoints in Roon, and need something that both looks and sounds good (or is invisible, as with those too-pricey [and UK only?] Zuma Lumisonics, which add up into the thousands) and plays well in Roon with Chromecast groups
Has anyone considered/listened to this in comparison with the Naim Muso-2 before buying either? Getting close to purchase date and am far from a city where I could check them out in person.

OP
radix

radix

Major Contributor
I did consider the JBL, but (a) it's enormous compared to the Naim, (b) no Spotify (except as Airplay) and (c) no Roon (except as Airplay). I use Roon, Qobuz, and Spotify.

I'm not sure how good these rankings are, but you could look at this too: https://www.dxomark.com/speakers/

Anyway, make sure it will actually fit where you are thinking. It's 33" (84 cm) wide and 13" (33 cm) deep.

pjn

Top Bottom