• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good-looking wifi speaker

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm looking for a nice looking wifi speaker for the dining room. I will likely just have a single speaker for some background music in the room.

I have a Klipsch The Threes in there right now, but I don't like the sound or connectivity features. The Klipsch is a nice size for the space.

I want Roon + Spotify, and Qobuz is a plus, though I could always throw a Volumio pi on it.

I think I'm leaning towards the KEF LSX II in that champaign fabric edition. In this case, I'd have the stereo pair of speakers.

Maybe the Naim mu-so wood? That's getting on the largish side (about 24" wide, 63cm). Does anyone have experience with this? The connectivity looks good.

The JBL L75ms is really big and does not have all the connectivity I want.

Some other's that might work, aesthetically: B&O Balance, Bowers & Wilkins Wedge, maybe Devialet phantom ii.

I thought about a KEF LS50 w II, but it looks kind of ugly for the space.

Thanks,
Marc

OP
radix

radix

Major Contributor
B&O do have some nice, discrete and reasonably affordable speakers - this looks nice - https://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/us/speakers/beosound-emerge.
I have a knee-jerk reflex of disparaging B&O products, but I suspect this is just my bad attitude

I had B&O for a long time (beocenter, penta speakers, their av processor) from about 1994 - 2019. It eventually degraded and wasn't worth fixing. My reaction to it when replacing it was I didn't want to get locked into a single-supplier system again. I have to say it was bought as much for the style as the sound. I eventually fell out of love with B&O.

I've not looked at any modern B&O, so cannot really comment on its quality. Supposedly their BeoBalance speakers are pretty good.

Reactions: pjn

bilzebubba

I did consider the JBL, but (a) it's enormous compared to the Naim, (b) no Spotify (except as Airplay) and (c) no Roon (except as Airplay). I use Roon, Qobuz, and Spotify.

I'm not sure how good these rankings are, but you could look at this too: https://www.dxomark.com/speakers/

Anyway, make sure it will actually fit where you are thinking. It's 33" (84 cm) wide and 13" (33 cm) deep.
I think the JBL has Chromecast, so Roon can happen that way (and is the way I use Roon). The Unit will be in a bookshelf designed to fit either, so size itself isn't the issue, but the ability to fill a long narrow room (15x30Lx10h) with good dispersion is

Top Bottom