• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good, inexpensive, A to D Converter?

andrew

Can anyone recommend a good quality, reasonably priced, stereo A to D converter with AES (XKR) or SPDIF (RCA) outputs?

OP
A

andrew

focusrite 2i2

I'm after analogue input and digital output via AES or Coax which, unless I'm mistaken, doesn't seem to be supported with this unit.

I find this one quite interesting:
https://www.beis.de/Elektronik/ADDA24QS/AD24QS.html You can save some money building it yourself, or buy an assembled one.

Looks good. It doesn't look possible, though, to purchase an assembled unit?

Can you give a price point?

'Reasonable' is relative.

<USD$1000

Edit: Just found Tascam UH-7000 which would seem to be an option?

Last edited:

DrTebi

I'm after analogue input and digital output via AES or Coax which, unless I'm mistaken, doesn't seem to be supported with this unit.

Looks good. It doesn't look possible, though, to purchase an assembled unit?
They do make an assembled unit (with a few extra features), but it's around 1000 Euros, not sure if that's in your price range:
https://ssb-audio.com/shop/produkt/adicon-analog-digital-wandler/

Looks good to me... no Tascam device has ever disappointed me.

What exactly are you trying to do? Vinyl digitizing? Live recording?

DrTebi

Oh, and since you are talking about Tascam... also check out the DA-3000:
https://tascam.com/int/product/da-3000/top

It is a solid-state recorder (to SD or CF card), but can also be used as an AD or DAC if I understand correctly. Maybe, if you are after e.g. vinyl digitizing, that device will solve all of your problems... since you can use it just like a tape deck, but record in high resolution up to DSD.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Last edited:

DrTebi

Did you actually read that review? When they started to talk about some $325 coaxial digital RCA cables making huge differences... they lost my interest. Sorry, but had to throw that in.

Nevertheless, there may be some more "scientific" reviews favoring the Behringer, I am not saying it isn't good.

DrTebi

The Mytek Stereo 192 (there is also an older Stereo 96 model) frequently had positive reviews. Might be worth checking out. If you don't mind used, there are usually some available on eBay or reverb.com.

I have heard a vinyl to digital recording made with the Mytek Stereo 192 that was quite outstanding in sound quality... to my ears at least.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Did you actually read that review? When they started to talk about some $325 coaxial digital RCA cables making huge differences... they lost my interest. Sorry, but had to throw that in.

Nevertheless, there may be some more "scientific" reviews favoring the Behringer, I am not saying it isn't good.

Agree.
I ignored the 'chaff'. The features were well covered. For some the 24/96kHz limitation may be a deal breaker. If there is interest I will see if I can find better references than my quick search uncovered.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree.
I ignored the 'chaff'. The features were well covered. For some the 24/96kHz limitation may be a deal breaker. If there is interest I will see if I can find better references than my quick search uncovered.

Not sure if it's of any use to anyone, but there are some slightly more detailed specs available here from Thomann than those published on Behringer's website.

The main extra bits of info are that the AD's SNR is 105dB (weighting not specified) and that it uses AKM chips.

DrTebi

Well, we still don't know what the OP wants to do... maybe he should enlighten us ;)

I am very much in favor of the Tascam DA-3000. Here is a review with a few measurements:
http://everythingaudionetwork.blogspot.com/2014/04/home-recording-reviewbenchtest-tascam.html

I am debating to buy this little machine myself, to digitize some of my favorite vinyl. I like the fact that it offers more than just ADC. You also get DAC, and the ability to directly record to SD/CF card.

mansr

Major Contributor
The Tascam Europe website lists that one as discontinued, the US site doesn't. Either way, it's still available from retailers. It's a decent device, though there are a couple of things you should be aware of before buying. Firstly, it picks up some high-frequency noise from the internal power supply. It's not enough to be a problem for regular music recording, but for any deeper analysis, it could be an issue. Secondly, it is not USB audio class compliant, and it is not supported by Linux. The provided Windows drivers work well, however.

maty

Major Contributor

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want for example, to make very good rips from good/very good vinyls:

I STRONGLY recommend RME ADC products, specially if you live in Europe.

Something old but still very good and cheap. Up to 24/192.

RME ADI 2

https://www.thomann.de/es/rme_adi_2_addawandler.htm change to other site or UK to English. € 599

Avoid Sonifex.

In USA, old, very very good but expensive: Lavry AD11

http://www.lavryengineering.com/wiki/index.php/AD11
What nonsense! Sonifex make extremely good and reliable products, which I've used for years, 24/7, with complete satisfaction. Great service too if spares etc are ever needed.

S.

eugenius

I was going to recommend the RME ADI-2 FS as well.

I don't think you need to spend more for conversion unless you want extra functionality like mic preamps or buzzwords like DSD.

Top Bottom