• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good, inexpensive, A to D Converter?

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm after analogue input and digital output via AES or Coax which, unless I'm mistaken, doesn't seem to be supported with this unit.
If you're still looking, the Focusrite Clarett 4Pre USB at $650 has analog input via XLR/TS as well as S/PDIF coax output on the rear.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
https://focusrite.com/usb-audio-interface/scarlett/scarlett-6i6#specs
https://focusrite.com/usb-audio-interface/scarlett/scarlett-18i20#specs
I am not the OP (who wants to buy an ADC right now), but interested to see if your measurements are similar to their specs.
The 18i20 you show was a 2nd generation, and mine is 1st gen. They lowered maximum gain in the 2nd gen which altered the specs a little bit. Mine gets within 3 db or so on A wtd noise of the spec which is I think 4 db worse than the spec in your link. It is almost dead on the THD spec. Dynamic range is again off by 3 db or so. Basically from what I've seen Focusrite is honest on their specs or quite close. Nothing way off I've seen from their gear.

So their specs are the best you'll get, they don't seem to over-perform claims. And these kinds of things are usually optimized for a particular signal and gain setting. So if you are not using the optimum of all those factors you'll end up a little less good than the noise specs. But close, reasonably close.

Theo

If the purpose is to digitize vinyls or old cassettes, wouldn't any ADC could do as the SNR of the source will be less than 60dB? Like this one :
a cheap one@35$?
The only question is which output type and reliability...

Top Bottom