• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

good in-ear please ?

kprog

Can you advise me some good in-ear headphones? To use it with Atom+khadas ? That has a lot of power and cancel very well the noise? They are for playing, shooting games and listening to music. When there is a lot of external noise, my 990pro is not good ...

I have seen that they speak very well of the KZ ZST, but I do not understand of this type.
I would like some good bass. and a high volume.

kz zst is double driver, and apparently they are very good for such a low price (20$). but I do not mind spending more, for something really better, with more power.

tential

It's a good budget iem. I used to use it. I currently use the zs3. Out of all of the kz headphones I used, this one has been the best isolation. It is better isolating for me than the zs6.

Tin audio t3 is highly talked about so far.
Badguyaudio currently has some chifi picks for mid to higher end ($500 max nothing outrageous) but I can't speak to the scientific qualities of his testing.

Because the weight of the iem, the fit, and how you wear is (tin audios can go around the ear or dangle) we all have different experiences.

I don't know what iem would be best for gaming, especially if you need audio cues to tell where an enemy is for a shooter.

OP
K

kprog

Thank you.
ZS3 has better insulation. But, how much of the two is more powerful and better audio quality? zs3 or zst?

tential

Thank you.
ZS3 has better insulation. But, how much of the two is more powerful and better audio quality? zs3 or zst?
That's again really subjective question and different for each person.
Because the zs3 fits in my ear well, it sounds good. The zs6, if I'm not getting proper fit, then it's not going to sound as good, but that's because it's not fitting in my ear as well. And it's a heavier iem, so more likely to slip loose from my ear. The zs3 is like an ear plug, when it's in my ear it can sometimes give me a feeling of fatigue from being so deep in there I need a break.
The zst, didn't fit as well due to its blocky shape. I never blind tested the two. From what I remember about using the zst, I liked it, but a direct comparison? That's hard, but when I get home I'll see if I still have them, I should, and plug them into my cable and see how they are. I also liked the kz ate.
It's just so dependent on your ear, the tips you used, etc. I used comply ear tips with the zst from the ate as well, so I can't say if I liked them more with the normal tips or comply tips.

Currently the zs3 with the tips it came with are my favorite to use. Renonext has been talked about a lot with their QT5.
I find it very subjective with saying 1 headphone is better than the other without an actual standardized test. You can make such extremely biased proclamations and not even realize it.
The example I give is my home theater setup, I've many times had speakers turned off and not even realized it and thought it sounded amazing or even "better". Hell I could only like the Zs3 since it's the last kz box of headphones I opened as I bought 5 at once.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also liked the kz ate.
I was very impressed with the sound of these, even more so for the price. I wasn't a fan of the wide tube that goes in the ear, found it slightly uncomfortable, so I gave them to the wife, she loves them. They are a real bargain.

OP
K

kprog

a doubt. I'm trying the headphones of my samsung s9 ... connected to the Atom, they sound much more bad, and without bass, connected to the S9 sound a lot better, I've done that test with 2 other in-ear I have of the give with the mobile, and the same result.
Because atom does not move them with more power and more bass?

snowsurfer

a doubt. I'm trying the headphones of my samsung s9 ... connected to the Atom, they sound much more bad, and without bass, connected to the S9 sound a lot better, I've done that test with 2 other in-ear I have of the give with the mobile, and the same result.
Because atom does not move them with more power and more bass?

Are you sure there is no EQ applied on the S9? The S9 has a number of modes that will modify the sound substantially (source: I also use an S9 lol).

Tks

Major Contributor
Etymotic IEM's seem to be a favorite of nearly anyone that tries them. I'm looking to get a pair in a few days, I'll see how it goes.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Etymotic IEM's seem to be a favorite of nearly anyone that tries them. I'm looking to get a pair in a few days, I'll see how it goes.
FWIW I hated them, very bright, no bass, so not everyone likes them.

Fregly

Tential, I have found Badguyaudio unreliable in the IEMs I'vs heard in common. He seems to like a pretty peaky, bassy sound. More of a personality than helpful reviewer.

Daemon

Can you advise me some good in-ear headphones? To use it with Atom+khadas ? That has a lot of power and cancel very well the noise? They are for playing, shooting games and listening to music. When there is a lot of external noise, my 990pro is not good ...

My suggestion is FLC 8N or ibasso IT04.
I have them, I can say both have good detailed bass. proper isolation, and can produce rather high volume with no distortion. FLC 8N can also be well customized with the included kit. Sure, it's better to listen to them first with your setup before buying.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Depends on how much you want to spend. I have used plenty of KZ's over the years.

In terms of isolation fit, I would rank the ZS4, AS10 (CCA C16 uses more or less the same case as the AS10) as being the best at isolation for my ears. (Skip the ZS3 and go the ZS4 instead, its a better IEM in the same case actually)

In terms of sound stage, or overall spaciousness of sound without getting fatiguing, I would say the ZS10. The newest ZS10 PRO is supposedly better than the original. But I don't have that.

For absolute sound quality, I would rate the CCA C16, followed by AS10 and ZS7 as being on par, as they have different sound signatures. From people I trust on the HF forums, the ZS10 Pro are solid too.

As to benefit from the Atom + Khadas which I also have and use, the CCA C16 or the ZS4. The AS10 and ZS7 are both really easy to drive and the AS10 is actually a bit too sensitive for use with the ATOM. Your volume knob will probably be stuck at 8 O'clock.

OP
K

kprog

OK thanks. which of them, used in atom if using equalizer has better bass?
The ones I've used so far have 0 bass. terrible quality in Atom. (those of the galaxy s9)

TungstenC

Not heard those, it was a while ago. Do these measure closer to the Harman compensation curve than the old ones?
The XRs has a 5dB bass boost so they are a bit closer to the Harman target curve.

Rtings
ER4XR Rtings.png
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/etymotic/er4xr

0dB.co.kr
ER4 SR vs XR Harman 0dB.png
https://www.0db.co.kr/index.php?mid=REVIEW_0DB&page=14&document_srl=4424

Good old Innerfidelity
Innerfidelity ER4SR.pngInnerfidelity ER4XR.png
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/25-years-making-good-thing-better-etymotic-er4sr-and-er4xr

Speakerphone
Etymotic Research ER4XR - harman Speakerphone.png
https://clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/2016/10/etymotic-research-er4xr-iem.html

TungstenC

OK thanks. which of them, used in atom if using equalizer has better bass?
The ones I've used so far have 0 bass. terrible quality in Atom. (those of the galaxy s9)
Are you getting proper seal with those? because bass on IEMs are highly dependent on seal.
no seal = no bass

quorzar

Hi,
after many different in ears I ended up with the Fostex TE-05. I use it as my computer/gaming headset only because I dont like to have a headband on my head. I use an external USB microphone for more freedom but you can use the internal one too. But it isnt comparable with a Rode etc.
My goal some time ago was good clean bass and neutral overall with much detail in highs but also for long gaming sessions, so not harsh in the highs. I had many in ears before from Sennheiser, Bose, Teufel, Beyerdynamic, cheap ones from ama....., but Fostex made a big difference for me in my opinion.

Good luck

OP
K

kprog

Are you getting proper seal with those? because bass on IEMs are highly dependent on seal.
no seal = no bass
Yes, it fits well in my ear. I connect in galaxy and it sounds good, I connect in atom and it sounds bad.
It can be what the other user says. because atom does not use EQ ....

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The words "good" and "in-ear" cannot be in the same sentence. :) I despise in-ears. However, on a whim, I got V-Monk from massdrop, you can get them on Aliexpress for about the same price - $5 :D They are pretty good sounding, despite the price. But they do not provide good isolation.

Top Bottom