• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good HiFi from South America?

DanielT

Major Contributor
I continue the journey. Why South America? Why not? This is the beauty of ASR. It is an international forum so to get those who live in South America and are more aware to give their view is superb.You from South America give your opinion. Sound, HiFi related from South America. And remember, let's just have fun.:D

To be honest, I have no idea about HiFi from South America. :oops:
What brands, manufacturers are there? It's a broad thread so mention what you think might be interesting regarding sound, HiFi and South America. Inventors, sound arenas, sound-related events, HiFi and so on.

One thing is for sure, hell the crowd is wild here::cool::D

Other places on the trip have been:

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
There was no major response in this thread, but that doesn't matter. There may not be any sensible HiFi made in South America?

But damn, what concerts in South America, what an enthusiastic audience and so many! This classical concert for example. Around 200,000 concertgoers.
Upload the fat bass cannons and watch and listen to this, preferably via a large TV screen.:)

"Live at River Plate is a live concert film documenting AC/DC’s Black Ice World Tour. The DVD includes footage from three concerts performed in December 2009 at the Estadio Antonio Vespucio Liberti in Buenos Aires, Argentina,[1] which is the home stadium of Argentine football club River Plate. It was directed by David Mallet, with Rocky Oldham as producer.[1] The recording of the concerts required the use of 32 HD cameras; a company called Serpent Productions was responsible for filming and then producing the footage of the concerts.[1] It was also the band’s last live album to feature rhythm guitarist Malcolm Young, before his retirement from touring due to dementia five years later and his death in 2017.

Live at River Plate
ACDC Live at River Plate.jpg
Video by AC/DC
Released
10 May 2011 (DVD, Blu-Ray)
Recorded
2, 4 & 6 December 2009 at River Plate Stadium, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Genre
Hard rock, blues rock, rock and roll
Length
111:48
Director
David Mallet
Producer
Rocky Oldham
Singles from Live at River Plate
"Shoot to Thrill (live)"
Released: 16 April 2011"

Then, price goes to today's technology. Think how easy it is to explore music nowadays. Really nice.:)
Screenshot_2022-10-19_090510.jpg

One of my favorite songs::)

Last edited:

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have seen some Brazilians on ASR, maybe they can talk about it? I lived 3 years in this country and I often go back there. In the 90's the imported products were really rare and very expensive only reserved to a small elite because at the time the protectionist policy of this country fixed the import taxes at indecent rates. So there was only one Brazilian brand called "Gradiente"
"Of course things have changed today, but only the Brazilians of the forum could talk about it.

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I have seen some Brazilians on ASR, maybe they can talk about it? I lived 3 years in this country and I often go back there. In the 90's the imported products were really rare and very expensive only reserved to a small elite because at the time the protectionist policy of this country fixed the import taxes at indecent rates. So there was only one Brazilian brand called "Gradiente"
"Of course things have changed today, but only the Brazilians of the forum could talk about it.
Exciting. I think it's fun to move around and see and experience new places. But not everyone thinks so. Take an Englishman who does not like to travel, who does not like parties and loud events. Let him participate in the aforementioned, what will be the result? This:
Karl is too damn funny, although he may not be aware of it himself.:)

Karl dressed up for the carnival in Rio::)
(oh how he loves it,... not..lol)

Screenshot_2022-10-19_094913.jpg

Last edited:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
there are no hifi manufacturers here afaik.
it's the problem in every "emerging economy". there isn't really a market, because the middle class is so small.
there are many PA manufacturers though. I actually opted for a brazilian PA speaker as my mains.

when I have more time I reply more

dasdoing

Major Contributor
back in the 80ies there was a brazilian manufacturer called Gradiente (and others).
here the flagship called Concert I with 2 10" woofers and a ribon tweeter (the top part was movable so you could tow them in without towing the "subwoofer"):

fdd2206c503052e7c9ae4977a35d7f3c.jpg

they are back today, but produce those stupid plastic bluetooth speakers now

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Maybe no manufacturing but the music can sometimes be quite intriguing.

I'm a fan of Brazillian composer and bandleader Hermeto Pascoal.

Example (cover of Frevo Novo):

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I almost pulled the trigger on going to Brazil a few times, could have gotten cheap tix from Varig (we moved a lot of cargo with them) but never did, my loss....

I did chat a bit with a few guys from Brazil about audio, sounded like almost nothing local was available, tho.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
there are no hifi manufacturers here afaik.
it's the problem in every "emerging economy". there isn't really a market, because the middle class is so small.
there are many PA manufacturers though. I actually opted for a brazilian PA speaker as my mains.

when I have more time I reply more
It may be necessary, large PA solution considering the large areas, of which there are a number in South America. Because I mentioned AC/DC - Live at River Plate, here's a quick look at their PA rig. Whether it was the exact rig used at River Plate, I don't know, but still::)

To you Xulonn::)

.....Now what that song has to do with Panama? But that's another matter. :)

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There was a recent thread at ASR about the cost of imported audio hardware in Brazil. After the dust settled, the reply stated that it cost Brazilian wallets somewhere near twice as much as elsewhere.
Some savvy SouthAmerican surely can be able to rebrand 'offshore' audio products and not only make a name for themselves but laugh all the way to the bank.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Some savvy SouthAmerican surely can be able to rebrand 'offshore' audio products and not only make a name for themselves but laugh all the way to the bank.

like I said, there is no market. it's not only because of the lack o middle class, but also cultural. here in Brazil you manly consume culture outside of your home. in my city for example there are dozens of live music options every single day; big cultural events like every 2-3 weeks.
and if somebody buys a personal sound producer, he will favor a portable design.

Top Bottom