• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good HiFi from South America?

Galliardist

Major Contributor
This is not about the general population can or can't afford an audio system, but what they want these days is streaming & bluetooth speakers, and these things are commonly sold at retailers. There are other non HiFi Brazilian brands that satisfy people in this regard. Also, Chi-Fi has entered the market offering good quality, low cost, free delivery material. Energy speakers from Canada were acquired by Klipsch, a subsidiary of VOXX International. The good old Danish Dynaudio was acquired by a Chinese company. The HiFi market in Brazil is a niche market. I imagine that in the rest of the world this scenario is not so different. Or in your country do most houses have canadian hi-fi passive speakers powered by hi-fi canadian amplifiers, canadian DAC’s..? I suspect not.
There is a simple test for what people can afford (at least for the moment) in any country and that is the TV market. Older people who are not retired still buy and value television sets, and just looking at the average size screen and the percentage buying OLED sets will reveal buying power. If the bulk of people buying large screen and OLED sets aren't also buying some kind of stereo or surround setup, it isn't because, for the majority in those brackets, they can't afford it. If that section of the TV market is also small, it's a good guess that most of the population can't afford much audio wise.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
There is a simple test for what people can afford (at least for the moment) in any country and that is the TV market. Older people who are not retired still buy and value television sets, and just looking at the average size screen and the percentage buying OLED sets will reveal buying power. If the bulk of people buying large screen and OLED sets aren't also buying some kind of stereo or surround setup, it isn't because, for the majority in those brackets, they can't afford it. If that section of the TV market is also small, it's a good guess that most of the population can't afford much audio wise.

this wont work at all here in Brazil. noone buys OLED yet. way too expensive. and there is only LG offering them. for the price of a 65 oled form LG I can buy two 75 LEDs from LG. If I would buy a new TV I wouldn't ecen consider an OLED

Galliardist

Major Contributor
this wont work at all here in Brazil. noone buys OLED yet. way too expensive. and there is only LG offering them. for the price of a 65 oled form LG I can buy two 75 LEDs from LG. If I would buy a new TV I wouldn't ecen consider an OLED
But it has worked. Read my last sentence. You've told me what I want to know!

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
this wont work at all here in Brazil. noone buys OLED yet. way too expensive. and there is only LG offering them.
By my last count, I can confirm that there are about a dozen companies providing some variation of OrganicLED displays.
Most "true" OLEDs offered by various companies are all fab'ed by LG Chemicals:
Sony, Panasonic, Philips, Skyworth, Hisense, Konka, Changhong, and Grundig.

In addition to these OLED screens (and NOT to be confused by/with 'LED/LCD' displays), Samsung has recently introduced some form of what is called (in "alphabet-soup" acronyms as) QuantumDot (QLED) screens... which really use BlueLEDs (w/different filtering techniques) rather than the WRGB used in the way LG makes their own OLEDs.

Kegemusha

From old days, some brands from Argentina:

Decoud"; "Randall"; "Calsell"; "Fada"; "Robertone", some of these are guitarr amps.

Attachments

• 1697878666_pescadorabiosospinetta.jpg.d49c4f2734dca5ded92ff9406c82ba0a.jpg
    1697878666_pescadorabiosospinetta.jpg.d49c4f2734dca5ded92ff9406c82ba0a.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 25

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can one of our So.American members be able to help me out for possibly confirming/naming the song (famous-ish) which may have been written about “Isabel” Perón?
María Estela Martínez de Perón, best known as “Isabel” Perón, was not only the first female president of Latin America but the first female president of any republic in the world. As vice president of Argentina in 1974, Perón rose to power upon the death of then-husband and President Juan Domingo Perón. Criticized for her lack of experience in government affairs — something true of countless men that have held the same office — Perón came to power in a context of extreme economic crisis, strikes and paramilitary activities supported by the government. She was deposed in a coup and arrested after 632 days in office.
Édith Piaf ???:oops:

Kegemusha

Can one of our So.American members be able to help me out for possibly confirming/naming the song (famous-ish) which may have been written about “Isabel” Perón?

Édith Piaf ???:oops:
"Dont Cry for me Argentina" you mean?, but that was for Evita Peron, I think.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"Dont Cry for me Argentina" you mean?, but that was for Evita Peron, I think.
Thank you! That was it.
I recall the song from the movie "Evita". [<< my 'duh' moment!]
We listened to 7 different renditions of the song on youtube.
youtube.com/watch?v=KD_1Z8iUDho << Madonna (Evita)
youtube.com/watch?v=sxR-1mZem8Q << Elaine Paige
youtube.com/watch?v=PgK-dIPMIp4 << André Rieu
youtube.com/watch?v=3K6wo0osCeI << Olivia Newton-Johm
youtube.com/watch?v=TzF0Ih4jDCE << Tina Arena
youtube.com/watch?v=ivOrKizry94 << Nicole Scherzinger
youtube.com/watch?v=C6iL6rAwA54soprano << WendyKokkelkoren.
*NOTE: Add your own "https://www." to the links above.
Madonna' version is the one we both had to admit we liked the best.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
But it has worked. Read my last sentence. You've told me what I want to know!

there is a delay for new tecnologies. you bring them, they are expensive, so they sell little. as they sell little, the prices don't go down. It just makes no sense to buy OLED TVs, even if you can aford them. there is not enough improvement to justify paying more than dubble. the only one buying them are those for whom the price is not really effecting theyr salary.
let's face it: HIFI is dead in terms of mainstream. general population just doesn't care. that's the main reason noone buys hifi here. my apartment is rented. the owner owns the whole building. So she has money. But she doesn't have an OLED, and she doesn't have a HIFI system, doesn't even have a sound system at all. there isn't even a market for those cheap sony systems anymore. the only things selling are bluetooth speakers. I know a guy that lives in an apartment the size of my living room. he likes music a lot. he reaserches a lot. He knows all speakers of the market out of memory. what did he buy with his modest salary? a JBL ghetto blaster. for the same price he could have bought a pair of KRK gen4 for example.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...let's face it: HIFI is dead in terms of mainstream. general population just doesn't care. ...
... you are kinda, sorta correct... but the demise of the audio hi-end (or even mid-fi) has been oft repeated yet not [un]materialized!
No R.I.P. is required, currently.:)

dasdoing

Major Contributor
the demise of the audio hi-end (or even mid-fi)

I didn't say that ;-)
I am just comparing to the 80ies and part of the 90ies where almost every single household made sure to have at least something resembling a hi-fi system. often it wasn't realy HI-FI but at least people tried to have "good sound" in the living room.

Top Bottom