• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good HiFi from China and Taiwan?

MrOtto

I was at a Hifi-expo, and LALS, a Taiwanese constructor, was represented with a pair of speakers there. Compression driver and dynamic driver was their own construction. Cabinet looks like old TAD-speakers. Very nice woodwork. Sound was excellent, trumpets, piano, vocals were not to harsh while dynamics and soundstage was excellent.

Demoed: https://www-lals--audio-com-tw.tran...=zh-CN&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Tweeter/Midrange: 50mm Compression Driver
Driver with 55cm Wooden horn
BASS: 15 " Paper Cone Woofer
Sensitivity:98dB / W(1m)
Impedance:8Ω
Frequency Response:30 Hz~20 kHz
Crossover Frequency: 800 Hz
Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power: 500W

Danish dealer: https://sallingboeaudio.com/

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What amazes me the most about Chinese manufacturers (not their reputability/quality/service as much as their) keen sense of the needs of markets/consumers.
I remember about a dozen years back, Topping outright made the crappiest equipment that there was... even worse than that Emerson brand of yore.
Apple/China?
They have even mastered how to make a presence in amazon/ebay/walmart like establishments. Clever!
For the sake of argument, I will use ToneWinner which has been able promote their audio gear (e.g. AT300) using youtube agents as their mouthpieces. Keen!
But on the other side, we also have 'established' non-Chinese manufacturers who at times put out some absolute POS.:mad:
Yes, I must admit I have bought more than a few 'electronics' (including audio gear) from aliexpress like sites but ALWAYS with fingers crossed, when they have not been reviewed by @amirm!:)

spartaman64

I'm Chinese, so maybe I can say a few words. My English is not good, so I use deepl translation. There are some great hifi companies in China, like topping, moondrop, but these companies are often looked down upon by audiophiles. Chinese audiophiles should be like audiophiles in other countries, they prefer to believe in magic rather than measuring data, they always say "data looks good but doesn't sound good", then spend a lot of money on fancy cables or other "snake oil", they also invented They also invented a disparaging term "scientific hifi party" to call those who value measurement data. In Chinese audiophile circles, Genelec is known as the "liar speaker" because the components used by Genelec are not so "audiophile".

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
topping certainly isnt look down upon here. and in terms of sound quality moondrop isnt really looked down upon in the iem communities ive been in though people have made fun of their paint

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I'm Chinese, so maybe I can say a few words. My English is not good, so I use deepl translation. There are some great hifi companies in China, like topping, moondrop, but these companies are often looked down upon by audiophiles. Chinese audiophiles should be like audiophiles in other countries, they prefer to believe in magic rather than measuring data, they always say "data looks good but doesn't sound good", then spend a lot of money on fancy cables or other "snake oil", they also invented They also invented a disparaging term "scientific hifi party" to call those who value measurement data. In Chinese audiophile circles, Genelec is known as the "liar speaker" because the components used by Genelec are not so "audiophile".

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Moondrop you say. Speaking of

This one certainly looks interesting::)

Screenshot_2022-10-04_102410.jpg

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i find it hard to fathom how someone anyone can come to this forum and post this kind of thing...

look at the reviews done and tell me what is recommended and tell me is China isnt a positive force in what we're interested in

i have heard on other places that Amir is a secret agent provocateur for Chinese audio products given the outcome of his reviews and yet... let the charts speak for themselves

i think at the top end, we have Kinki, Denafrips and Jungson among the traditional types and there's a slew of new class D types which you should already know

Top Bottom