• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good headphone for vocals (max 300$)

OP
D

Den

Beyerdynamic DT880. I love IEMs but I've never fallen in love with voices like on an open back.
Actually I agree. I will keep my dali io4 instead of the iems. I feel the same after some more comparison. Thanks for your input. I will keep the beyerdynamic in mind if I want to try some headphones to have at home, which is not for on the go.

Chyżwar

Actually I agree. I will keep my dali io4 instead of the iems. I feel the same after some more comparison. Thanks for your input. I will keep the beyerdynamic in mind if I want to try some headphones to have at home, which is not for on the go.

You really should try the Etymotic ER2, these are amazing for vocals. The DT880 have a nice midrange, but the treble are awful, sharpness and sibilants are heavily emphasized, most bad recordings are unlistenable on these headphones.

Last edited:
OP
D

Den

You really should try the Etymotic ER2, these are amazing for vocals. The DT880 have a nice midrange, but the treble are awful, sharpness and sibilants are heavily emphasized, most bad recordings are unlistenable on these headphones.
They will be on my to try list. Though seems I can only find er3 or later. Have you tried those later versions or just er2?

Chyżwar

They will be on my to try list. Though seems I can only find er3 or later. Have you tried those later versions or just er2?

I had the ER3XR, they are great headphones but need a 32 ohm adapter otherwise they sound a bit dark and muddy.
You can buy the ER2 from Amazon.com.

spartaman64

after encountering 3 people who got ety eartips stuck in their ears one of them had part of the eartip break off in their ear im staying away from them lol

Chyżwar

after encountering 3 people who got ety eartips stuck in their ears one of them had part of the eartip break off in their ear im staying away from them lol

Etymotic clearly says that it's important to replace the eartips every 2 - 3 months. If you take off the eartips, wash them and put them back on, and do this many times, they will eventually lose their tightness and may stuck in the ear canal. That's why you can't use one pair of eartips many times, you have to use new ones! If you use something contrary to the manual you do so at your own risk...
If the ear tips stay in the ear canal you can still remove them easily, but you must use a tweezer, not your fingers.

As for the eartips breaking off is too extreme for me, I have no idea how it could happen... This person used one pair of ear tips for 10 years?

zermak

Personally, I find the Chu much more comfortable than the Aria and Starfield because they are smaller and won't put pressure on my ear. So it's completely subjective. And I think the price difference between these models is ridiculous. The Chu is just the Aria with less bass, they may sound a little too bright for some, but on the other hand, the Aria sounds a bit dark and muddy. The Kato sounds a bit better (because of a smoother treble) but they are much more expensive. In the end, I sold all my Moondrops and left the Chu which I use with the EQ or with other ear tips.
Late to the party here but just wanted to point out of the issues the Chu keeps having just reading the last few pages of the thread about them here; and well many found the badly glued metal filters like on mine.
I mean their are a very good IEM for the price, if they are one-piece, but the QC issues and the weird wearing style is a little off putting but I guess many can afford to try them and get rid of them or keep them if they like what you got.

Chyżwar

Late to the party here but just wanted to point out of the issues the Chu keeps having just reading the last few pages of the thread about them here; and well many found the badly glued metal filters like on mine.
I mean their are a very good IEM for the price, if they are one-piece, but the QC issues and the weird wearing style is a little off putting but I guess many can afford to try them and get rid of them or keep them if they like what you got.

I wish they made a more expensive version of the Chu with the cable they used in the SSR. That would be a great product.

Haruko

Blessing 2 is much more fuller sounding IEM than Chu... You can get used to chu after a while and they sound pretty awesome on orchestral tracks because of its cold signature you get better instrument separation too... But for vocals you will find them lacking... Just buy blessing (i sold mine HD600 over them as they extend better both in bass and treble and mids are more detailed than HD600)

BearWant

For headphones Sennheiser 650 (and likely anything in that series). For iems Penon are fantastic. Havent heard the whole line up but everything I've read echos my experience with the Penon Globe and Volt beautiful mids. Globe can be had for your budget. And you can snag great deals on them used if you'd be willing to go down that road.

Top Bottom