• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good German Hifi ?!

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
If it's ok with the moderator and others who read the thread, write in German if you feel more comfortable with it. Google Translate Still exist. It is, after all, your German thread, in a way.:)

Wenn es für den Moderator und andere, die den Thread lesen, in Ordnung ist, schreibe auf Deutsch, wenn du dich damit wohler fühlst. Google Translate ist da. Es ist schließlich in gewisser Weise Ihr deutscher Thread.:)

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
No not a teenager. At the time (1971) and as a student I was so impressed by the Quad ELS57 electrostatic loudspeaker that I bought the Quad 33/303/fm3 electronics, since those were just about the only ones that could be used safely with this speaker. Around 1970 this was also one of the few high end solid state amplifiers on the European market. I still have the speakers and the electronics, though they are no longer used (I should realy sell them to save some space). I last used them a few years ago when my modern Quad 2805s had to be repaired. The combination still sounded remarkably good.
Quad ELS57 occasionally appears on the used market. I am VERY curious about a couple of these. I wonder how they stand compared to modern speakers?:)
Though I can imagine that a couple of old Quad ELS57 need to be renovated, if not done. They are still quite old speakers.

Braun were of course the manufacturers of the most beautiful audio gear ever

Aha, hm interesting. I have not immediately thought of Braun.

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Many people don't know that legendary high end line's of Onkyo speakers back in 70's ware made and finished in Germany.
There ware so much of good brands true history but almost all went down.
From what's left this day's I would praise Dynacord (part of the Bosch from 2006) for price/performance/reliability and spere parts availability.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A must see for all technic interested.

Yep, I loved it. Rohde and Schwarz broadcast stuff there too, being in Munich. Do they still have the fake salt mine?

Willem

Major Contributor
Quad ELS57 occasionally appears on the used market. I am VERY curious about a couple of these. I wonder how they stand compared to modern speakers?
My modern Quad 2805 electrostats are clearly better, with much lower bass, better power handling, and a stunning spatial representation. However, when I had to use the old ELS57s while my modern ones were being repaired they were still remarkably good and a joy to listen to: there was an obvious familiy resemblance. It helped that I was using them with a good subwoofer with dsp eq. However, I completely disagree with those who claim that the ELS57 is superior to the modern ones. To me, that is the same kind of romanticism that favours tube/valve amplification. Technology has moved on.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Yep, I loved it. Rohde and Schwarz broadcast stuff there too, being in Munich. Do they still have the fake salt mine?

Dont know last time i was there is more than 20 years ago. For technic and science nerds a must see i think.

kschmit2

Do they still have the fake salt mine?
Yeah, it's not just a [fake] artificial salt mine though, but also coal, ores, ...

unfortunately the Museum's info on the mining section is not translated to English yet, but here are some impressions and also a link to a video on the German site: https://www.deutsches-museum.de/museumsinsel/ausstellung/bergwerk

Last edited:

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Braun were of course the manufacturers of the most beautiful audio gear ever, designed by legendary Dieter Rams. The current company seems to trade on that heritage with a new line of Sonos inspired lifestyle speakers, but I could not find any other information. The original Braun/Rams restyled Quad ESL57 electrostats are now manufactured by Quadmusikwiedergabe.
Wow, I had no idea that these were still in an ‘official’ production. Amazing.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
If it's ok with the moderator and others who read the thread, write in German if you feel more comfortable with it. Google Translate Still exist. It is, after all, your German thread, in a way.:)

Wenn es für den Moderator und andere, die den Thread lesen, in Ordnung ist, schreibe auf Deutsch, wenn du dich damit wohler fühlst. Google Translate ist da. Es ist schließlich in gewisser Weise Ihr deutscher Thread.:)

Dont get me wrong, but i think a common language like english is ok for me. Yes, its a pest. ;) But i would also not enjoy to have some japanese or thai or chinese signs in here. So for me its absolutly ok to stay in english. It will never be good, but who cares? We can communicate, and i think thats the goal of any language?!

Katji

Major Contributor
hmmm, I was thinking about it after reading the "Do you know English?" thread yesterday. A favourite topic. Where English is more common, Scandinavian countries seem to have better education systems, some languages are easier to learn than others - at least if you're starting with a European language (with some Latin basis)...and that at least I could start by saying Ja...ja... (I even checked on google.translate; it works for at least 5 languages) :).....and how I sometimes wish DW would not cover all the German with English voice-over...

Or use DeepL for better results
I will check it now. Google translate UI is not good. ...And the voice thing is sometimes just wrong.

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
DeepL costs money but was spectaculalry good when I used it from English into Dutch when I had to translate one of my own articles into Dutch and did not want to waste too much time.

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I accept that Trenner & Friedl aren't going to count. But, following the glowing account by Stereophile of the Sun speaker, I absolutely wanted a pair and did have some positive email contact with one of the directors about the product. Pay the full price in advance, six week wait for manufacture and then a month in which to either keep the speakers, or return them for a full refund. I chose not to act but would still like to hear the product at some time in the future.

buz

Forum Donor
Careful with "ja ja", that is usually meant to mean something like whatever / more literally 'kiss my ass'

Katji

Major Contributor
? :) In which language? It's basically the same as "yeah yeah" or "yeah sure" / "yeah right".

Shefffield

Aha, thanks for the detailed answers. Interesting!

I suspect you are not teenagers so I ask. If you were interested in Hifi in your teens, what were the Hifi brands that you bought? German brands or .... Japanese? :)

In case you are curious about RME - I used to work with them for a few years. They don't have a 'real headquarter' to visit though.

Berlin

Has "Funk Tonstudiotechnik" already been mentioned here? They are based in Berlin (like Neumann) and manufacture e.g. excellent headphone amplifiers...

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Careful with "ja ja", that is usually meant to mean something like whatever / more literally 'kiss my ass'

Carefull with ja ja. It can mean a lot. You can say it like kiss my ass. You can also say it like ok i see i did something wrong. Or iam happy to do it. Very complicated. So a ja ja, you have take into account the situation and the sound. Hard to undertsantdt a ja ja for you not born with a german thoungh. ;)

Katji

Major Contributor
Aha aha , exciting. Have you heard any of them?:)
No - on my list of things to do when I go to Cape Town - visit the guy who sells them.
...Only 2 hours on the plane...

Top Bottom