• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good EQ for MacOS and IOS (IPAD) to Play Qobuz on Headphones

Music1969

Major Contributor
I already use the Toneboosters plugin with Audirvana so I downloaded Blackhole and Element but so far it's beyond my capabilities to get up & running :facepalm:

So far I have exactly what you have in your screenshot but I'm clueless as to what the next link is supposed to be.......I'll push on.

Have a screenshot ?

You have Blackhole -> TB_Eq -> DAC ?

My screenshot didn't show my DAC, but it's there at the bottom

And you can turn the TB_Eq on and off using the button that looks like a power button.

CTRLM

Yes I do but I am clueless how to add the DAC. The only way I've worked out to do it.....it replaces Blackhole, which is obviously wrong.

Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 10.48.09 pm.png

CTRLM

I finally worked it out!

Thanks @Music1969 for offering to help I appreciate it, and thanks for highlighting this option in the first place. I can now add my presets in.

If you have any pearls of wisdom as far as further settings go I will gladly take them on board :)

Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 11.13.44 pm.png

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
A bit redundant thread with https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ows-linux-macos-ios-ipados-and-android.18450/, but it's good to have it here for a better visibility. I wasn't able to make anything else work on Big Sur but SoundSource with AU Lab. Of course, I needed to pay for the first one, so I can get rid of the noise added after the first 20 min. of playback. Still unable to make export/import profile to work properly, but I'm sure I'll figure out a PEQ from there to work properly.

On iPhone I have installed recently SoundID, but it does nothing to the output sound...or at least I wasn't able to hear any differences, unless I'm playing around with it's built in sound examples. Again, WIP, so I'll retry soon, maybe it'll work eventually as expected...or I'll find something else.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
On iPhone I have installed recently SoundID, but it does nothing to the output sound
Yes, for iOS is there anything that will affect the audio to headphones? From all source apps? (Specifically to Bluetooth, AirPods Pro are the only thing that will stay well sealed while I'm running)

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Sprint I forgot to mention this, maybe get a Quedelix 5k to replace the Fiio BTR5 because you can set the PEQ profile to your liking on the Quedelix. That would resolve the iOS issue and give you a great mobile setup.
[/QUOTE]

This. It’s so much less clunky and annoying to push EQ down to the processor/amp

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
https://www.izotope.com/en/shop/holiday-bundle-gold.htmlHi all,

Could you please recommend a good EQ Tool for MacOS (Big Sur) and IoS (IPAD) to play Qobuz/You Tube premium on Headphones? I currently use Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohms and Sony MDR ZX110. I use a Fiio BTR5 purely as a USB DAC. I have not tried the EQ option of BTR5 on IPAD though.

On my MacBook Pro I use currently Blackhole in combo with Hosting AU UI. The hosting AU has a parametric EQ but looks different. Attached is a screen shot. Also attached is a screen shot of Hosting AU and also the EQ recommendation of Amir for Sony MDR ZX110. As you can see in Hosting AU I can not set Q factor. Moreover Hosting AU keeps quitting making me to relaunch the service again which is annoying.

Thanks!

View attachment 121187View attachment 121188

Hello,

You have multiple options on top of element.

1. For the AU plugin from Apple, you need to convert between Q and width. (See http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-bandwidth.htm for example).
2. https://www.izotope.com/en/shop/holiday-bundle-gold.html is 50$ at this time of the year and that gives you a set of professional plugins. That’s the right period of the year to shop for plugins. Waves is also selling bundles (https://www.waves.com/bundles/silver) for cheap. Free plugins are usually as good as pro one. You get better documentation, tutorials and consistency in the interface if you buy a bundle but the sound will be the same. Melda (https://www.meldaproduction.com/MFreeFXBundle) has a nice free collection.

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@Sprint I forgot to mention this, maybe get a Quedelix 5k to replace the Fiio BTR5 because you can set the PEQ profile to your liking on the Quedelix. That would resolve the iOS issue and give you a great mobile setup.

I just signed in to Qobuz. It is really a pity that they don´t have (yet) an built in EQ. Even Deezer got a quite basic one. For my MacBook I agree totally that SoundSource works quite well, importing either existing profiles or self-edited ones via txt Files. It is a blessing.

As regards to the iPhone use, I am really not willing to buy the bulky Quedelix. I have a Hidizs S9 Pro, which is excellent and measures much better. So, does anyone has other suggestions for this use case?

Last edited:

Egoquaero

Hi dears, I'm looking for answers to solve the same pain point. I just want to be able to eq my Tidal or Qobuz music played through an iPhone (iOS).
I came across this link:
Anyone tried Boom and Vox? Apparently Boom works with Tidal and Vox with Qobuz

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A Pi SBC of some sort (Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Rock Pi etc) plus CamillaDSP. You can go wired with USB or wireless with Airplay.

G|force

Forum Donor
Dumb question- I have LogicX installed on my Mac- is there any reason to use 3rd party SW for a monitor EQ vs. passing signals through my interface and using signal process in Logic?

D!sco

Dumb question- I have LogicX installed on my Mac- is there any reason to use 3rd party SW for a monitor EQ vs. passing signals through my interface and using signal process in Logic?
no

D!sco

I'm also gonna share how I use Blackhole, Soundflower, and HostingAU.

The basics are pretty simple, and there are a few basics that may not be obvious to a newcomer that could save your amp/speakers/circuit breakers.
Screen Shot 2023-10-29 at 20.26.38.png

The Audio Interface is the digital output from your laptop. It's controlled by the operating system and can point to any eligible device. Bluetooth, built-in speakers, headphone outs, anything. Point it to an audio interface like Soundflower or Blackhole. This may take fiddling in Audio Midi Controller to align bitrates and ins/outs to the physical and digital devices. You can also just output to, say, the headphone out, or a dongle. Soundflower has only worked on my computer at 48k, which is perfectly fine for me. I also use soundflower and blackhole, because if the output device is disconnected (my DX3 in this case) it defaults to the highest alphabetical device(?!) and having soundflower output to blackhole is better than a loopback speaker explosion.
Screen Shot 2023-10-29 at 20.49.37.png

Linearization EQ is basically if I have a correction curve, it goes here. Oratory, Crinacle, whatever. This is a modified Crinacle Sundara EQ. I like to take full advantage of the available bands if a headphone still has noticeable peaks. There's a Global Gain bar and it should be used to keep the EQ at a maximum of 0dB gain at any frequency. That just means get the curve below the bar, doesn't matter how you get the shape. 3dB is double output, so consider the necessary watts for your changes. Everything EQ is going to make your stuff quieter and demand a bigger amp.
Screen Shot 2023-10-29 at 20.37.38.png

Room and preference curve correction EQ is where I tend to play with the room interactions and allow more broad adjustments to the output. This section can be huge when applied to speakers, but tends to be simple with headphones. "Room modes" like Amir talks about in his speaker reviews go here. My favorite are bass boosts and cuts, as well as range corrections. I'll just go through mine real quick. Band 1 is a bass boost I apply to music, Band 2 is always on, to correct the subsonic slump normal to open drivers. Band 3 is my correction to the Harman Curve, to reduce fatigue. Last are some of the most important corrections available, highpass filters. In these it's a mere subsonic filter, preventing damage or unnecessary flapping from my headphones. It can prevent damage to monitors while allowing boost, and keep ports from chuffing or subs from bottoming out. It will be more important as boost is applied. The cost is often depth, or maximum SPL when correcting. All filters are 2nd order unless otherwise stated. As usual, keep the wiggles below the line.
Screen Shot 2023-10-29 at 20.38.06.png

Last is the most important. The lifesaver is a guarantee to never bottom out any properly set up electronic in your signal chain. If you are familiar with compressors, you know that they are the devil for high fidelity. They are anti-dynamics all-volume-all-the-time machines. Compressors are prominent in radio and podcasts because they make quiet things loud and loud things quiet. Compression is also really nice to use because in recordings, it fixes lumpy volume for you. Normally, you can use Pre-Gain to boost a quiet person, say, 8dB. That's huge. What do you do when they flick the mic? Cut it. A compressor does both, but in reverse, it can prevent an output device from running over voltage 100% of the time. A faster attack and release will stop/return things to normal more quickly. Here, the Pre-Gain is set to -0.1 to minimize it's interaction with the system. The attack is fast and can cut signal almost instantly. The release is also the minimum and will return to normal as soon as the output is no longer overloaded.
Screen Shot 2023-10-29 at 20.38.19.png

This has been my TED talk.

G|force

Forum Donor
I like to use compression on playback monitoring often, mostly for rock music.
Lindell 77x for 500 series. It's a double wide form factor stereo pair of 1176 clones with transformers. Not a true 1176 pair but fun to use.

G|force

Forum Donor
Another really good 500 series stereo comp is the API 529. ($2400) Not as much nuts out noisey boogie as the Lindell ($800)
These devices destroy SINAD but make drums pop and feet tap. The ASR kryptonite

D!sco

Another really good 500 series stereo comp is the API 529. ($2400) Not as much nuts out noisey boogie as the Lindell ($800)
These devices destroy SINAD but make drums pop and feet tap. The ASR kryptonite
I think the missing link for a lot of people at ASR is that a lot of these products are for production, not playback. People love harmonics and reverb, even distortion and resonance when applied right. I think a lot of well-engineered products do this on purpose and it trickles into the mainstream, because it's how the pros do things. A lot of ASR zealots don't seem to be "music people", like they've never played or recorded anything. It can be hard to describe how much musical photoshopping goes into the other side of things. There's this mythos of being able to make it seem like they're at the recording, when anybody who's been there knows it's really a magic show put on by production engineers. The real joy of perfect flat reproduction is that it's a great starting point to change tone, reflection, etc. Just look at my Sundara EQ-- I can listen far longer than on the stock Oratory EQ.

Top Bottom