• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good Dac with toslink input and rca out.

Marty111

Good morning everyone. I'm looking for a simple dac yet with perfect and great sound for my windows 7 computer. It has to have a optical input.
I'd like something at least as great as the alc89 chip I have on my motherboard.

So far I've found are these devices, but I have no idea whether they're good or not :

Thank you!

OP
M

Marty111

I live in europe (france). I don't know, the one I need would have to be simple (less chances of something interfering), great and perfect sound, preferably no drivers, and no popping sounds or interruption of sound at all ever. My goal is to forget I'm using a dac.

Preferably uac1 as I assume it might work better with windows 7 (or am I wrong?). JDS Atom Dac+ has uac1 but I don't understand whether or not it can be uac1 using the optical input, or if you get uac1 only when using the usb cable.

OP
M

Marty111

I also wonder if the 3 dacs I mentioned at first are any good, what chip they're using, if they use uac1, uac2 or a driver with windows7 etc...

Chazz6

... the JDS Atom Dac+ was measured by Amir, and many users on this forum have it.
I am one of the JDS users. I have been able to compare its line output, hence its DAC, with that of the DAC in an Audioengine B-Fi and with that of the DAC in a Denon Link HS2. The JDS sounds better to me, more detail. The JDS user sheet says the Toslink output is 16/44.1—24/192kHz PCM. It is made in the U.S., so you would need to figure out their shipping versus what you might be able to arrange with a contact in the U.S.

Top Bottom