• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good Dac / Nice DAC and VU meter

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
RME with DIN PPM meter.

AVvXsEjU8gQr1dqHA2Vw35TDEI_QiF0-Pq6mH7MeZusGdEX815T95q1rz3Ckz5Oq1F9bmtAJdRkACQTVOglwYJXbmMOa7GBoT7FEN_yU0DWn8lgQNGpLfY-t5wWuUags8bdM4r090QzxIceL-4eHFVOwPKagAdwyxS_1cYE-So9tQkzTxVZu_hAm8g7Ca2oB0g=s2048

OP
The French

The French

I think the new TEAC line of modern/retro looking gear matches up to your old Scott aesthetics. They are ridiculously expensive though for all that bling.

I've already had a look at this line (well, apparently all their devices have that same retro look), which is indeed, very very nice.
The TEAC AI-503-A (my preference as it also has an headphones output and an USB input) and the (even more) old style AP505 which is a speaker amp only.

ai-503-a_main.jpg

But I'm not sure they are as good as they are nice.

Paolo

I think I will have a serious look at the RME ADI-2.
It seems to partially meet my needs will for some kind of a VU Meter, without sacrificing anything regarding the sound.
I have the RME. It exhibits a well accomplished industrial design and look the part. The meter is especially nice, and gives you useful information on what you're playing. So, beautiful, but in a "professional way", not exactly what I like in my living room.

That said, I share your longing for more captivating designs, possibly new interpretations and iterations to give a nicer feel to those absurdly high performing devices and I will definitely pay a reasonable premium for that.

OP
The French

The French

I have the RME. It exhibits a well accomplished industrial design and look the part. The meter is especially nice, and gives you useful information on what you're playing. So, beautiful, but in a "professional way", not exactly what I like in my living room.

That said, I share your longing for more captivating designs, possibly new interpretations and iterations to give a nicer feel to those absurdly high performing devices and I will definitely pay a reasonable premium for that.

Yes the RME is clearly not the nicest, it has obviously not been made to be.
Its design serves a purpose.
That's probably why it's so popular : it's a tool made for pros.
I've just seen that the new firmware allows differents colors now ! (Just to show how far from a pro I am :cool:)

As far as I wanted a VU Meter, I wouldn't like to sacrifice the sound quality, nor the practicality.
Adding a VU Meter seems complicated.

There is obviously a space to fill in the Hifi market.
1/ A good measured product
2/ In a nice case
3/ At a reasonable price.

Most products fails the 1/ (specially those with a nice case, must be a way to hide poor measurements).
Some succeds 1/ + 2/ but failed a the 3/ (The T+A Dac 200 for instance, well I haven't seen any measurements of that one, but I'm guessing)

Shanling EM5 DAC/Network Streamer - looks ‘nice’ - no reviews

View attachment 179493

I was very interested by this one, but the closed Android OS is a dead end to me.
Plus the digital VU Meter will only be available on Shanling's own Music app.
It's like a DAP, plugged to DC, but with a very limited OS, which can also (and preferably apparently) be controlled with a phone through an app.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
But I'm not sure they are as good as they are nice.
TEAC devices have been reviewed here:

They are not bad. Not very good either, but I think for the form factor and the looks, it's more than good enough.

Last edited:

capitanharlock

The T+A Dac 200 costs around 5k.
The Teac with the vu meters is an integrated amp.
The Shanling is very limited and uses its own app, a deal breaker.

Yes, the Rme has a very "pro" look, and that's why it costs a reasonable amount of money.

At the moment, I would consider the Rme or the SPL.

jumos

I have TEAC AX-505...both that one and its non-integrated cousin have that exact look you (and I) want. They also sound, and measure extremely well, being built on Hypex Ncore modules inside. Unfortunately their matching DAC doesn't have VU meters. Theyre also not very cheap at about $1500 USD

EdTice

Yes you shouldn't use it as an actual RCA hub!

But it also has a microphone input for the Vu-meters, so as long as you use that and only use the device as a standalone meter then it would be fine.
Can you elaborate. I looked again. And I can't see any way to get this device to work as VuMeter without passing the signal through. If connecting it via a Y cable would let me have VUMeter for that price without spoiling the signal it would be a no brainer.

soundofsingle

The T+A Dac 200 costs around 5k.
The Teac with the vu meters is an integrated amp.
The Shanling is very limited and uses its own app, a deal breaker.

Yes, the Rme has a very "pro" look, and that's why it costs a reasonable amount of money.

At the moment, I would consider the Rme or the SPL.
T+A HA200...

Attachments

• 20210719_214056.jpg
    20210719_214056.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 110

EdTice

I have TEAC AX-505...both that one and its non-integrated cousin have that exact look you (and I) want. They also sound, and measure extremely well, being built on Hypex Ncore modules inside. Unfortunately their matching DAC doesn't have VU meters. Theyre also not very cheap at about $1500 USD
I just emailed Amir to see about getting this VuMeter tested. It has no switching so hopefully the RCAs are just pass-through and don't degrade audio. And it has removable rack mount ears.

litemotiv

T+A HA200...

One thing that's nice about the T+A models is that both the VU backlights as well as the leds are fully RGB and can be set to any desired color:

T_A_HA_200_det3d.jpg

Edit: also the VU meters are multi-purpose and can be set to either input level, output level, DAC clock rate and jitter rate. Quite useful when connecting external equipment and seeing these metrics at a glance.

EdTice

One thing that's nice about the T+A models is that both the VU backlights as well as the leds are fully RGB and can be set to any desired color:

T_A_HA_200_det3d.jpg

Edit: also the VU meters are multi-purpose and can be set to either input level, output level, DAC clock rate and jitter rate. Quite useful when connecting external equipment and seeing these metrics at a glance.
The IRS allows deductions for T+A. (Apologies to those who haven't seen The Wolf of Wall Street)

litemotiv

The IRS allows deductions for T+A

The DAC 200 and HA 200 are expensive yes, i guess you could consider them 'end game' devices. For those who have the cash available they are very nice options, in terms of features, build quality and aesthetics.

Last edited:

capitanharlock

I see, but the topic‘s author, as many of us, has a budget, and those T+A are way over this budget.

Top Bottom