• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good Dac / Nice DAC and VU meter

The French

Hi,

I own a Topping E30 and a Topping A50s combo.

Soundwise, they are both amazing, on any headphones I have.

But (no science in here) I wish I could have a nicer combo.

At 12yo, my father gave me its old hifi system (I've stolen this picture online), the system he bought the year I was born, 1976.
I've spent 10 years listening to all my music on this system (I also had the Double Tape player he's bought later, and a Philips CD player)

I gave it to a young cousin many years later
1957-large_default.jpg

Well, you see the idea.
I'm not sure I may improve the sound of my Headphones system, so I'll try to improve the look of it.
I'm looking for nice Headphones devices, ideally with a VU Meter,

Do you have any recommandations (max price of 1000 €/$), for something good...and nice ?

Do real VU Meter have an influence on the DAC quality ?

capitanharlock

Of course the vu-meters don't have any influence on sound, they disappeared 'cause they cost, and the manufacturers persuaded the audiophiles that without them (and tone controls, and many other useful features) the audio gears would have sounded better.
One of the few headphone amp with a real vumeter it's the SPL Phonitor line:, but they cost more than 1k:

Attachments

• Phonitor_x_front_black_2560.png
    Phonitor_x_front_black_2560.png
    894.5 KB · Views: 210
OP
The French

The French

Many thanks.

I had seen that SPL device, but it's not cheap indeed.

I wish the affordable chinese brands such as Topping or SMSL could have two lines of products.
The one we all know, and a Premium one (so with another name), taking the same internal components, but adding better looking case, VU Meter, LCD screen or internal power supply.
Most of the BS we are constantly hearing on the Audiophile market, is due to a real need, for nicer equipment.

Just like when people prefer the Yogurt when it's in the blue pot, Vs the same Yogurt coming from the brown pot.

Maybe it's me, but when I see my tiny E30, even if I know it's fantastic, I can't really love that tiny device.
It's so light it does not even stands correcly in place, because of the RCA cables.:)

litemotiv

If you just like to have a couple of nice Vu meters you can consider getting a separate device like the one below, and use it together with another DAC / headphone amp:

VU2-music-level-meter-DB-meter-analog-VU-meter-4-channel-audio-switcher-remote-control-function.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

Costs about $150-200 from Aliexpress.

OP
The French

The French

If you just like to have a couple of nice Vu meters you can consider getting a separate device like the one below, and use it together with another DAC / headphone amp:

VU2-music-level-meter-DB-meter-analog-VU-meter-4-channel-audio-switcher-remote-control-function.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

Costs about $150-200 from Aliexpress.

Looks nice on this picture, but they are apparently not good at all :confused:

I've had an eye on the Oppo HA1, which is a hell of a nice device.
But it's quite old, apparently not so reliable, and they are not measuring that well

OPPO_HA-1.jpg

litemotiv

Looks nice on this picture, but they are apparently not good at all

Yes you shouldn't use it as an actual RCA hub!

But it also has a microphone input for the Vu-meters, so as long as you use that and only use the device as a standalone meter then it would be fine.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Just use a streamer software with a VU meter plugin

Kuppenbender

Forum Donor

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just use a streamer software with a VU meter plugin

This is probably the best option. Just get the cheapest monitor you can find to use as a secondary and build the meters any way you like

Failing that, @The French I got a CENtrance Ampersand for 30% off at black Friday. It hasn't been independently tested yet; I suspect it's good enough given it's targeted use case. Most of their stuff has meters although the DAC was not well received here especially given it's price. The CEO kept saying he would follow up to straighten the story, but I don't think it ever came to fruition

threni

Major Contributor
Maybe it's me, but when I see my tiny E30, even if I know it's fantastic, I can't really love that tiny device.
It's so light it does not even stands correcly in place, because of the RCA cables.:)

I never touch my E30 so it doesn't move around much but when I was installing it I added a blu-tak to keep it in place so it faces the right direction for remote control reception.

OP
The French

The French

I think I will have a serious look at the RME ADI-2.
It seems to partially meet my needs will for some kind of a VU Meter, without sacrificing anything regarding the sound.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s a completely different beast, useful mostly for music producers.

Yes, I get that, but it can be driven via USB with a supplied VST plugin. So I would image that it's possible to get it working either directly with eAPO or with Voicemeeter Banana on a desktop PC setup. The spectrum analyser and vector scope views look pretty cool. There's a better demo of it's capabilities here:

Plus it's available for £219 in the UK (i.e. a lot cheaper than an RME DAC)...

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the new TEAC line of modern/retro looking gear matches up to your old Scott aesthetics. They are ridiculously expensive though for all that bling.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the new TEAC line of modern/retro looking gear matches up to your old Scott aesthetics. They are ridiculously expensive though for all that bling.
Teac is seriously nailing the looks checkmarks in the new gear.

capitanharlock

Yes, I get that, but it can be driven via USB with a supplied VST plugin. So I would image that it's possible to get it working either directly with eAPO or with Voicemeeter Banana on a desktop PC setup. The spectrum analyser and vector scope views look pretty cool. There's a better demo of it's capabilities here:

Plus it's available for £219 in the UK (i.e. a lot cheaper than an RME DAC)...

It would be another box, with another mount (to buy separately), and some other cables. Replacing the Toppings with the Rme it’s the best option in my opinion.

Top Bottom