• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good amplifier topology for difficult speakers?

JeanMiK

Hi

I own 1 pair of 3 way coffin-like floorstanding speakers (2.0 system), for home use at reasonable spl level, each coffin having 1 pair of 7 inch woofers, and an impedance curve with a peak around 21 ohm, and a dip around 2.5 ohm.
Sensitivity around 90dB
I tried different power amplifier over time, and now more or less happy with a diy (myself) dual mono power amplifier.
My best amplifier these days: 2 x 600W psu and class AB mosfet drivers (Peeceebee V4H modules).
I'm still having a hard time to understand what makes the sonic result difference between various amplifiers: brute power and big headroom, big slew rate, mosfet brand, circuit design, all of this?
Which is the main factor ?
I also tried class D amplifiers, for poor result.
I never found a clear answer on this issue, beside try this or try that, without real technical objective hint.
Thanks for your lights!
JM

Koeitje

Major Contributor
NCore NC1200, rated at 1200/700/400W@2/4/8 Ohm. Should be no problem. Just get something with a real 2 Ohm rating. A lower powered NCore amplifier will still do the trick I'm guessing.

H-713

A few amps that I like for this, in order of preference:
-BSS EPC780 (but you'll have to find one that works).
-Any of the Class AB MC2 amplifiers. MC650s and MC750s were great (1250s were even better), a modern equivalent would be an S1400. Very close second to the EPC780 in performance, but much more reliable.
-Older Crest amplifiers (3301, 4801, 6001, 7001, CA4, CA6, CA9).
-QSC Powerlight amplifiers.

All of these amps are beastly and can handle low-impedance load without issues.

H-713

I find that a lot of Class D amplifiers do not behave as well with difficult reactive loads since the output network can be affected by wildly varying low-impedance loads. Some class D amps handle this a lot better than others.

I suspect that you're dealing with a combination of a lot of factors.

murraycamp

Forum Donor
There are amps in different classes of topologies that can handle (well) difficult loads. I think it's more about how well it's engineered and manufactured (qc) than which topologies a particular unit utilizes. IMHO, YMMV, etc.

OP
J

JeanMiK

Thanks for your answers.
I guess what we would need is some kind of standard test method for that type of difficult load ?
JM

Synergy4

Thanks for your answers.
I guess what we would need is some kind of standard test method for that type of difficult load ?
JM

Well a stable amplifier with a reasonable damping factor and a low output impedance from 20Hz to 20kHz may be the place to start looking for driving a difficult uneven speaker load impedance.

There may be a number of amplifier options, but it is the actual implementation of the amplifier topology that matters more the most.

For Class D, maybe look at the the 1ET400AEIGENTAKT : https://purifi-audio.com/eigentakt/
....Output Impedance <65μΩ @ 1kHz, rising to around 650μΩ at 20kHz...

For Class AB, maybe look at the Benchmark AHB2 : https://benchmarkmedia.com/products/benchmark-ahb2-power-amplifier
Damping Factor:
350 at 20 Hz, 8-Ohms
254 at 1 kHz, 8-Ohms
34 at 20 kHz, 8-Ohms

Benchmark's thoughts on damping factor: https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-damping-factor-isnt-much-of-a-factor

Top Bottom