• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good AMP to Pair with the Topping D50?

derp1n

None of those headphones are hard to drive.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If you want another really good powered monitor preamp / headphone amp, check out the Phonitor X. Warning that it's not cheap.

https://spl.audio/professional-fidelity/phonitor-x/?lang=en

It can be bought with a simple DAC built-in, as well.
Wow, that is a very expensive unit! If you want to spend that kind of money :), here is the ultimate choice:

HPA4_Silver_L0_2048x2048.jpg

https://benchmarkmedia.com/products/hpa4

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
So does the RME ADI-2 DAC walk all over the cma600i? How much power compared to the jotunheim. The jotunheim might have sq issues but I've only had it fully turned up on a couple of occasions. It was pretty strong.

What would really help me out is if it could find something that would pair with the topping d50 that outputs to my lsr305's with balanced connections and a SE plug for my headphones with enough power.

a) The RME ADI-2 has more than enough power to drive the headphones you've mentioned

b) The DAC in the RME ADI-2 measures amongst the best Amir has ever tested

c) Do you already own the Topping D50? If not, why the requirement to keep it in the picture?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I used to have a creative zxr and a v20. I upgraded this jot, first time getting an external solution. I had no idea how powerful it was until I plugged my new beyerdynamic dt 770 250 ohm, he4xx, akg k7xx, and the hd 6xx into my v20. All of them were extremely quiet and I hear almost throughout the entire range 20 Hz to 20 kHz, so no hearing problem. It was then I realized how hard those headphones were to drive.

I own 3 of those 4 headphones (everything except the DT 770).

All of those are a cakewalk for the ADI-2 to drive.

I know because I've used all of them (and more models, too) with it.

OP
S

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Because maybe it could be paired with my jotunheim (after they fix it) and it wouldn't have to become a $799 dollar paperweight/disappointment lol. You may be right. Out of everything I've seen it looks the best for a it's price range.

The reason why is because it seemed like it could be paired with an amp for not too much money and deliver good performance. The RME ADI-2 really has my eye though. Maybe I don't need anything but that alone. What about usb noise? There is always all these different factors and I'm worried now that I get a defective schiit.

I don't see how much power the ADI-2 has though. The jotunheim had 32 ohms: 1500mW on the SE connection.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Because maybe it could be paired with my jotunheim (after they fix it) and it wouldn't have to become a $799 dollar paperweight/disappointment lol. You may be right. Out of everything I've seen it looks the best for a it's price range.

The reason why is because it seemed like it could be paired with an amp for not too much money and deliver good performance. The RME ADI-2 really has my eye though. Maybe I don't need anything but that alone. What about usb noise? There is always all these different factors and I'm worried now that I get a defective schiit.

I don't see how much power the ADI-2 has though. The jotunheim had 32 ohms: 1500mW on the SE connection.

Did you read Amir's review?

He tested the power output.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

Also, the power output is listed right there in what I posted:

THD @ +18 dBu, 32 Ohm load, 1.2 Watt: -110 dB, 0.0003 %
Max power @ 0.001% THD: 2.9 W per channel

(that's way less distortion than the Jotunheim and more power)

I hate to be blunt, but I'll just cut to the chase:

RME is a professional recording engineering company based in Germany.

The ADI-2 is arguably one of the best headphone amp/DAC/monitor controllers for 2-channel you can buy at *any price*. Only if you need to drive electrostatic cans do you need more power.

It is a piece of very well made, professional gear for audio pros who make recordings for a living.

The Jotunheim is a poorly fabricated consumer audio toy in comparison. And the multibit version is not even a good DAC if one values good measurements.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
What about usb noise? There is always all these different factors and I'm worried now that I get a defective schiit.

Competently designed gear doesn't have USB noise issues.

Amir measured the USB noise and jitter.

index.php

Seriously, dude....read the review.

Amir put in a lot of hard work to measure it and provide commentary.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Just to throw something into the mix which I think is excellent value and their published specs are nothing to snuff at either:

Matrix HPA-3B.

http://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/77/index.html#page1

At its lowest gain setting (5Db , 10Db, 20Db), it powers both the HD6XX and the HE4XX to volumes beyond what I was comfortable with without breaking a sweat on balanced output. The volume dial doesn't even go to 12 o'clock starting just at 6.

Last edited:
OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
I bought the RME ADI-2 dac. I hope I made the right decision.

It looks all around better than the jot and could easily be used as a stand alone dac if the 1.2 watts from the amp isn't enough (which I doubt).

I was eyeing the hpa4. But it was 3x more lol.

Thank you everyone for the input.

Last edited:

Krunok

Major Contributor
The RME ADI-2 DAC at $1,000 will do everything you need if that cost is OK. It also has parametric EQ which you can use to optimize your headphones/speakers.

Speaking of that, isn't actually the MiniDSP SHD a better deal than RME ADI2 DAC as it offers EQ with room correction software and a Volumio player?

Edit: ok, just noticed that heaphone amp is required as well. :p

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I bought the RME ADI-2 dac. I hope I made the right decision.

It looks all around better than the jot and could easily be used as a stand alone dac if the 1.2 watts from the amp isn't enough (which I doubt).

I was eyeing the hpa4. But it was 3x more lol.

Thank you everyone for the input.

Given the headphones you own, I'm not sure why you're concerned it doesn't have enough power. It has enough power to damage your hearing (and probably your cans) with the phones you have. See this comment from @amirm:

"The unit has current limiting and short circuit protection. It triggered when I tried to drive my 33 ohm dummy load so I had to reduce the level until it would output. That reduced the output power at 33 ohms. But that is still exceptionally loud. I am listening to my HE400i headphones as I type this at -30 dB!"

As for comparison to the Jotunheim, you can read Amir's review of that, too. I've owned Schiit gear in the past (actually, I still own a Freya, Mjolnir 2, and Fulla 2, they're just hiding in the garage), and I can safely say you will be experiencing a very different level of equipment with the ADI-2 from the fit and finish, as well as documentation, alone.

xevman

I've been looking at a cma600i. I'm was worried the amp wouldn't be strong enough like the cma400i.

Just feel like sharing my experience. I had a CMA600i which I promptly sold because it has a number of niggling issues. First one was the dac portion would have popping/clicking via the USB input which was fixed after I sent it back and forth to my distributor they ended up just replacing the unit. The second issue was the first unit I had had horrid channel balance on the volume control. The second one they changed over (to fix the clicks and pops) was a little bit better but nothing to write home about. No high quality ALPS 4 gang pots that you see in many balanced amps and functionality of the dac is also limited (you can't get line level out only pre out on the back for example) and also the analog input gets converted back to digital and then back to analog again rather being fed directly to the amplifier of the unit. Very good construction and components used just questionable design choices.

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
That sounds like a horrible implementation. I tried the cma400i and really disliked it before shooting for this rme adi-2 dac. I hope it solves my audio source problem.

Last edited:

xevman

Personally, I currently have a Matrix HPA3b and am extremely happy with it. Comes with xlr to rca adapters in the box so you can use your d50 with it.

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
When hooking lsr305s to rme adi 2 dac. What input sensitivity do I put on the speakers +4 or -10?

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
I am completely pleased with the rme adi 2 dac. It kills the jotunheim hands down.

Top Bottom