• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GoldenEar BRX Review (high-end Bookshelf Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 103 43.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 108 45.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 3.0%

• Total voters
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It appears to me that very few people here on this site do this. I may be wrong, but I doubt it.
You are very wrong. I listen to more audio gear in a week than people do in a year. This review included one. I suggest you watch that video before making more statements that make my assertion even more true. I made that video precisely for people making your argument. Pay attention to how poorly audio magazine reviewer did in formal tests.

LaoMan

Amir, with all due respects, I do not care how many speakers you listen to. What I buy I buy because I want to listen to it. For example I have listened to a number of the Dacs you have tested. I really do not like a lot of the Chinese Dacs that you have rated highly. To me they have a sterile middle range. Now why on earth would I consider buying one of them just because they perform well in tests when I do not like the sound? I have listened to both the Topping and the Gustard which did well on your results and did not like either.
This is what I am talking about, listen with your ears and not with your eyes.

Ninjastar

Amir, with all due respects, I do not care how many speakers you listen to. What I buy I buy because I want to listen to it. For example I have listened to a number of the Dacs you have tested. I really do not like a lot of the Chinese Dacs that you have rated highly. To me they have a sterile middle range. Now why on earth would I consider buying one of them just because they perform well in tests when I do not like the sound? I have listened to both the Topping and the Gustard which did well on your results and did not like either.
No one is trying to stop you from doing those things. But with all due respect, recognize the community you are posting in.

This is a forum for hi-fi enthusiasts to discuss objective measurements of gear.

There are countless other forums that you can read and share your subjective opinions of gear. You wouldn't sign up for a photography forum to talk about cars. :D

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir, with all due respects, I do not care how many speakers you listen to.
You must care a lot after accusing us of not using our ears: "I think far too many of you look at measurements and do not use your ears. That is rather sad."

If you don't care about our listening tests, then don't make such remarks.

What I buy I buy because I want to listen to it. For example I have listened to a number of the Dacs you have tested. I really do not like a lot of the Chinese Dacs that you have rated highly. To me they have a sterile middle range. Now why on earth would I consider buying one of them just because they perform well in tests when I do not like the sound? I have listened to both the Topping and the Gustard which did well on your results and did not like either.
We have learned in research that comments like yours have zero value. I can give change the color of one DAC's box and have you tell me it sounds warmer now. You are here, take a breath and read and learn what audio science is all about. You are repeating nonsense that this site is designed to debunk. Watch this video, user your ears properly to evaluate sound and then we will listen to what you have to say:

LaoMan

"This is a forum for hi-fi enthusiasts to discuss objective measurements of gear."
I thought a hi fi enthusiast's forum was for discssing how good equipment sounds. I stand corrected.

Drengur

Forum Donor
"This is a forum for hi-fi enthusiasts to discuss objective measurements of gear."
I thought a hi fi enthusiast's forum was for discssing how good equipment sounds. I stand corrected.
This forum is for discussing how good something sounds; why and how. Contrary to popular belief, audio equipment, at least here on earth, is not exempt from the physical laws of the universe. It just so happens that this forum is all about trying to connect physical properties as they are measured to this notion of 'good'. There are many other places where opinions and guesswork reign supreme. Those places can be fun for some people, especially those who possess the authority which can be appealed to.

Of course this forum is not immune to such fallacies, but you will most likely find the atmosphere here is to favor scientific discussions over feelings or idolization. I know the change in mindset can often be difficult for newcomers as most of us are quite used to the other kinds of discussions, especially online. But I can tell you that it is worth it to stay with it as there is something to be said for attaining information which has some basis in reality. My head is full of 'bullshit' I've learned through the years regarding this hobby. The worst part of that, for me, is that it can make you a rather vulnerable consumer and in turn hasten the death of this hobby. My point is: come over to the dark side!

LaoMan

I like your post Drengur, however I will not continue. I seriously cannot be bothered. A classic case is some of Amir's Dac recommendations. As I posted earlier, the Gustard and the Topping rate highly, and I have little doubt that their graphs look beautiful enough to frame and place on a wall. However if I bought one of these based on the tests only, I would be extremely disappointed. I have heard them and rejected both of them for their sound. The middle sounds thin to me, as do many Chinese Dacs..
In this thread we have one poster who owns the GoldenEar BRX and likes it. He listened to it and it suits him. Good for him. I cannot comment, because I have never HEARD it.

JoshinAkron

You are very wrong. I listen to more audio gear in a week than people do in a year. This review included one. I suggest you watch that video before making more statements that make my assertion even more true. I made that video precisely for people making your argument. Pay attention to how poorly audio magazine reviewer did in formal tests.
Hi Amir, I'm wondering if near field testing is an ideal way to measure speakers with passive radiators (and for that matter ported designs too?) Designs from Sandy Gross, like Def Tech 8080ST's for example, have both passive radiators and rear firing mids and tweeters, and always produce "false" measurements with any room correction software I have used unless the speaker has been positioned really well within the room. My distances have been wrong, when those towers were too close to the side wall, polarity issues occur, too close to the rear wall would cause issues, etc. And when I have used REW to measure those speakers closely, I would always get odd results, but when I moved out into the room a bit more, the results were always better.

I really do respect your testing, and you, and I loathe the idea of "switching" up tests based on designs, but then I think of how we would evaluate a Tesla if the only way we measured a car was MPG? Or, would it even make a difference taking measurements from the listening position as opposed to being near field? I'd love to hear your thoughts if you have time and thank you for all you do for the community.

David Harper

Some time around 1982 I had a pair of ESS Heil floorstanders with the AMT driver. They were maybe the smoothest sounding speakers I ever heard.

Reactions: JRS
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi Amir, I'm wondering if near field testing is an ideal way to measure speakers with passive radiators (and for that matter ported designs too?)
Hi there. The near-field scanner is not producing near-field measurements. It is producing far-field radiation of the entire speaker. It measures in near-field but that data is transformed using complex math to solve the wave propagation formula. It matters not to it what makes up the speaker. It samples at over 1000 points around the speaker and creates a 3-D model of the radiation of the speaker as whole.

Note that the above is *very* different than single point near-field measurement which does indeed run into many issues if not compensated for.

Also note that the Klippel Near-field scanner measures the speaker twice with a distance between them. Then using the phase information is able to deduce the direct sound of the speaker versus reflected ones. So it doesn't have the issues you mentioned when you measure.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
However if I bought one of these based on the tests only, I would be extremely disappointed.
That only happens if you use more than your ears you judge the audio equipment.....

LaoMan

It means that somebody has started off subconsciously with a preconceived notion based on attributes of equipment not related to sound, but wrongly conflates it with the actual sound output.
Msx as this is the result of numerous blind listening tests, I would say you are talking through an orifice that is not your mouth.

JRS

Major Contributor
Some time around 1982 I had a pair of ESS Heil floorstanders with the AMT driver. They were maybe the smoothest sounding speakers I ever heard.
There was a statement upthread about value: Aurum Cantus sells an AMT that is pretty damn flat from 1K to 20K, is 98dB efficient and can hit 120 dB peaks. Price about 350, maybe 400 now per piece. To me that represents value. I can verify the FR, I have a friend with a pair. In any event, trivial to EQ.

MarkS

Major Contributor
Too bad this was the Goldenear model that got measured, I think it's likely their worst price/performance speaker.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You are in the wrong forum.

Top Bottom