• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Golden Turkey Awards

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
It's not just price to lack of performance. How about the emperor's clothes award? It's for pricey gear with widespread accolades that measures like a clock radio. The Schiit Yaggi comes to mind. A $2200 DAC which many reviewers loved with 12 bit resolution. I'm sure there are other candidates.

We could also have an "all mouth, no trousers" category for the largest spread between claimed and actual specifications. It would need to be for non-cable applications, as there are too many wires that promise the world but manage to replicate the conductivity of a coat hanger (not that this is such a bad standard).

Or an "Enrico Fermi" category that redefines mankind's understanding of the laws of physics upon which audiophile grade stuff is based.

Many things come to mind. The audio world is such a rich landscape.

cjfrbw

I don't know if it is time for new 'Golden Turkey' awards yet. I still don't think anything can unseat quantum dots and magic clocks, the ultimate "FU, gimme your money stupid audiophiles" testament.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
I don't know if it is time for new 'Golden Turkey' awards yet. I still don't think anything can unseat quantum dots and magic clocks, the ultimate "FU, gimme your money stupid audiophiles" testament.

Quantum dots... a possible contender for the Schroder's Cat category: Something that is both useful and useless at the same time. (Stiff competition from cable bridges though, which are easy to vacuum under but do nothing for sound)

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh well, cables do take the cake in this category.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Oh well, cables do take the cake in this category.

So how do we convince @amirm to use the Schrodinger Category in his next review? It could be made to fit... two panthers, one animate, the other missing its head.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So how do we convince @amirm to use the Schrodinger Category in his next review? It could be made to fit... two panthers, one animate, the other missing its head.
LOL, I would rather see our host stick to his current formula. [I will add that while SINAD measurements are important, the best DAC's are better than what normal humans can hear. I also wonder about differences in power amplifiers when driving speaker loads with impedance and phase varying over the frequency range. Is it possible that an amplifier with a great SINAD stumbles when one with just a good one sounds as good or better? There is probably a way to measure this.]

carlosmante

Things measured on ASR or ?

High End Audio is replete of components worthy of usch honors... from Ethernet Cables at $10,000 although IMO the $15,000 USB cable wins hands down .. or this extremely musical amp whose measurements challenged the understatements capabilities of one John Atkinson ...

Here are the measurements from Stereophile and please red JA conclusion ...
https://www.stereophile.com/content/wavac-sh-833-monoblock-power-amplifier-measurements

This emotion inducing component is $350,000 the pair and it manages to produce 150 Watts in pure Class A @ more than 10% of THD.. yes ! You read that right: THD is 1 0, Ten in decimal notation ... I leave it to those with more knowledge to infer the SINAD from the measurements ...
Of course if you can acquire this beautiful amp it and post it on one of those subjective websites . combined with a Living Voice $350,000 speaker and similarly priced cable loom , You will instantly be granted Ultra Guru status... Here on ASR, with a bunch of plebeians lauding $99 DAC and similarly priced headphones amplifers, acquiring a pair of Wavac SH-833 will have Thomas Savage removing your posting rights ... although Amir, in a fit of magnanimity would travel to your place to measure this pair of magical components (He would ask you to send them to him but at 500 lbs , I am not sure you would want to do that :) .. ) He'll gratify us with great graphs and a different conclusion ... And of course You, the lucky owner will only have to measure with your platinum ears (We trust these BTW) the width (miles wide), depth (same) and the degree of blackness from which the music emerges ... as for the Organic qualities of this amplifier, the USDA is working on an audiophile department ... :D to make sure that a reproduction can indeed be labelled as such ...
Anyway They are saying the Truth.
“I want to listen to self-indulgent sound.”
“I want to pursue and recognize the sound I’m seeking.”
They are no promising accuracy or Technical Advances.
They are only seeking "Self Indulgent Sound".
https://wavac-audio.com/about/

carlosmante

LOL, I would rather see our host stick to his current formula. [I will add that while SINAD measurements are important, the best DAC's are better than what normal humans can hear. I also wonder about differences in power amplifiers when driving speaker loads with impedance and phase varying over the frequency range. Is it possible that an amplifier with a great SINAD stumbles when one with just a good one sounds as good or better? There is probably a way to measure this.]
In music is known as "Euphony".

Top Bottom