• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gold plated Toslink cable

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The gold plating must improve the sound quality by an order of magnitude! They’re only $8 dollars, they should charge a lot more!

https://www.cablematters.com/pc-100...with-metal-connectors-and-braided-jacket.aspx
The heavier the connectors and cable become the worse things get with Toslink. They have next to zero in the design to keep them plugged in and as they get heavier they want to fall out with the slightest movement. Too bad no one but Apple ever got on the wagon of using hallow 1/8 headphone plugs for toslink connectors, at least they lock in.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If it's like the one I have, it's just plastic. I got it so it looks different and I can see which of 4 Toslink cables I'm looking at. It's the same as the regular cable with a outer cover and the gold cover on the end.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If it's like the one I have, it's just plastic.
"Gold Plated Toslink Digital Optical Audio Cable with Metal Connectors and Braided Jacket"
I've got a few from BlueJean and they have the aluminum connectors too. Just not a good idea.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Too bad no one but Apple ever got on the wagon of using hallow 1/8 headphone plugs for toslink connectors, at least they lock in.

Sony may have done that first on their portable CD players, DATs and Mini Disc player/recorders, I have a sharp MD recorder with an optical in and out in the mic jack and headphone jacks. I think I even have some Panasonic portable CD players with an SPDIF optical out in the line out 1/8" jack too.

You're right, it was a nice and elegant solution. Perhaps the optical receiver didn't stand up to repeated intrusions by the phone jacks.

Here's a MD to toslink cable:

1563770329569.png

Realistically, they could bring it back and scrap the toslink altogether.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
've got a few from BlueJean and they have the aluminum connectors too. Just not a good idea.

Yep, the best ones are just straight plastic with a bit of give- they don't fall out, hit things or get wiggly. Sometimes the simple solutions are better than gold plating everything.

BillG

Major Contributor
Cable plugs are typically gold plated to prevent corrosion, and the coating is so thin that it adds little weight... :rolleyes:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
"Gold Plated Toslink Digital Optical Audio Cable with Metal Connectors and Braided Jacket"
I've got a few from BlueJean and they have the aluminum connectors too. Just not a good idea.
Okay, you guys made me go look.

I've a couple that are plastic all the way. Thin black cable. I've a couple that are the same thin black cable, but with aluminum covers over the outer part of the ends. I've a couple that are the thin black cable and ends, but inside a silver woven techflex cover and with square finned covers over the end of aluminum. Then I have those with the black techflex cover and the round aluminum and gold plated metal ends. My motivations were to have 4 different looking ones so when I record and run things altogether I can see which is which. I've had at one time some with the thicker cover and gold plated plastic ends.

Just a side note, they've installed fiber optic internet in my area, and that is some really thin stuff. Extremely thin, but tough cover over a thin fiber. It can be bent pretty tightly and springs back like a steel spring. The whole thing maybe 1 third the thickness of these cheapest Toslink cables and able to transmit at gigabit speeds. This is what they use from the curb to the house. The main cable is fairly thick, maybe a 1/2 inch of fiber optic from Corning. I'd worked a little with some fiber optic instrumentation cable about a decade ago. It wasn't nearly as tough as this newer stuff.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I guess the bottom like is that toslink as a home data transmission format is headed for the last roundup. Just as well since it suffers so many weaknesses both technically and mechanically.

Carnajo

Too bad no one but Apple ever got on the wagon of using hallow 1/8 headphone plugs for toslink connectors, at least they lock in.

Google also did, the chromecast audio had the same dual jack, but sadly has been discontinued.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Yep, the best ones are just straight plastic with a bit of give- they don't fall out, hit things or get wiggly. Sometimes the simple solutions are better than gold plating everything.

Most of the gold plating refers to the colour. It may well be an anodised finish - not so good re conductivity.

Top Bottom