• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Going insane looking for the right <500€ headphones

Lucaxr

I'm going insane doing endless research into headphones.
My use would be at work and public transport (general usage).
I prefer wired over wireless, and want to prioritise sound quality over features.

I've looked at the mezze 99 classics but I've read multiple times that they aren't tuned correctly. Next I've looked at more expensive models like dt1770 pro and shure srh 1540 and focal elegia. The first requires an amp, the second is huge and the latter is said to have less pronounced bass (I listen to hiphop often and wouldn't mind a more pronounced bass). The retailer websites often brand them as mastering and studio headphones and I don't know if it's even targeted at just listening to music. I really don't know where to look anymore. The sony 1000mx headphones get recommended constantly, but I'm maybe old fashioned in believing wired will always surpass wireless sound quality.

I'm a bit at the end of my wits with all this. Do you have any recommendations or which of these models is the best.
Thanks

Oso Polar

None of the above. TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEMs for $50 - great sound quality without the need for EQ or amp, $50 dollars. Or Sony WH-1000XM4 if you plan to use them a lot in public (or any other) transport - excellent noise cancellation, comfortable, good sound with somewhat elevated bass. IMHO will be perfect for hiphop.

wired will always surpass wireless sound quality
Currently LDAC is the best Bluetooth codec available and though it is still not lossless, it has a very good quality. I don't think many will be able to distinguish connection over high bitrate LDAC from wired. Anyway, LDAC will not be the sound quality limitation - headphones sound quality and public transportation (or office) noise will be.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lower budget wired the AKG K371 Pro, not the Bluetooth or regular version. Sounds great out of the box, travels well and no amp needed. I currently have the Bowers & Wilkins Px7 Carbon edition and really like it. Also the look great if your going out with them. Ideally the Sennheiser Moment 2 ear buds for public travel, and the K371Pro for daily use would fit the budget and be flexible.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I'm going insane doing endless research into headphones.
My use would be at work and public transport (general usage).
I prefer wired over wireless, and want to prioritise sound quality over features.

I've looked at the mezze 99 classics but I've read multiple times that they aren't tuned correctly. Next I've looked at more expensive models like dt1770 pro and shure srh 1540 and focal elegia. The first requires an amp, the second is huge and the latter is said to have less pronounced bass (I listen to hiphop often and wouldn't mind a more pronounced bass). The retailer websites often brand them as mastering and studio headphones and I don't know if it's even targeted at just listening to music. I really don't know where to look anymore. The sony 1000mx headphones get recommended constantly, but I'm maybe old fashioned in believing wired will always surpass wireless sound quality.

I'm a bit at the end of my wits with all this. Do you have any recommendations or which of these models is the best.
Thanks

So you are looking for an over-ear closed headphone with a bit of a low bass boost that is high in sensitivity and can be driven to impressive levels using a phone/tablet/laptop without needing an extra amplifier ?
That headphone must also 'look' right and have decent build quality.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So you are looking for an over-ear closed headphone with a bit of a low bass boost that is high in sensitivity and can be driven to impressive levels using a phone/tablet/laptop without needing an extra amplifier ?
An akg 371 fits this description, but some report build quality problems. Mine are fine, although I’d say that they are more suited to fixed position indoor use than on the move, particularly as the cable connector hangs quite low from the ‘phone and may catch on an outdoor jacket if the OP has a shorter neck.

atcman

Try the 32 Ohm dt 770 or the new 48Ohm dt700x from Beyer no amp needed work fine on laptops and phones imo just as good if not better than 1770s

solderdude

Grand Contributor
K371 has fit and quality issues (for some) and does not have a really elevated bass which is what OP is probably looking for.
It is more interesting for people looking for 'accurate' sound. I believe the OP may be looking for warmer or bassier than audible 'flat'.

OP
L

Lucaxr

Try the 32 Ohm dt 770 or the new 48Ohm dt700x from Beyer no amp needed work fine on laptops and phones imo just as good if not better than 1770s
Thanks for the recommendation, I think I'll try the dt700x!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Suggestions in the Elegia, 1540, DT1770 price range, closed easy to driver quality headphones for travel as well could also be the Neumann NDH20.
The DT700X is half that and more neutral than it is bassy/warm.

Last edited:

Andretti60

The ATH m50x fit the requirements.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
the M50X is a nice entry level headphone (€ 150). The headband and pads usually do not have a long lifespan.
The M70X is also an option (€ 260)

The Austrian Audio Hi-X60 is also an option. It measures like it has a subbass inside. That may be what OP is looking for (€ 349). Oratory seems to like it.
All the other AustrianAudio models are not worth looking at. Too colored sounding.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
D5200 is cheaper and 'better' sounding (IMO) but isolation is not the greatest in these Denons.
When this is not an important factor the D5200 is a pleasant (warm) sounding headphone.

OP
L

Lucaxr

the M50X is a nice entry level headphone (€ 150). The headband and pads usually do not have a long lifespan.
The M70X is also an option (€ 260)

The Austrian Audio Hi-X60 is also an option. It measures like it has a subbass inside. That may be what OP is looking for (€ 349). Oratory seems to like it.
All the other AustrianAudio models are not worth looking at. Too colored sounding.
Hm, reading from reviews of the AA, the bass can be thin. The NDH20 does seem to offer a lifted bass, which seems to fit my description but I'm currently reconsidering my budget. I'm thinking about lowering my budget to €300 (give or take) and later on invest in open back headphones for dedicated at home listening. Do you have any experience with the mezze 99 classic? It could be an option to buy a more 'fun' and less neutral sounding pair now and then down the line buy a dedicated audiophile open back pair.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I would get Sony WH-1000XM4 or WH-1000XM3. They can be used wireless but you can still connect via 3.5mm cable. The active noise cancellation will be great in public transport or an office. They are bass heavy, but they sound great as-is and can easily be EQed.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Do you have any experience with the mezze 99 classic? It could be an option to buy a more 'fun' and less neutral sounding pair now and then down the line buy a dedicated audiophile open back pair.

Yes, both the Meze 99 classics and Noir.
To me these are dark and muddy sounding but have pleasant treble.
The thing is (and this is heresy here) that despite research showing the majority of people preferring a neutral sound with some low bass boost there are plenty of people that like 'warmth' and elevated bass. There are also people that like elevated treble that is piercing to others yet to them gives the idea of 'nicely detailed' and 'airy' sound.

When you are looking for 'warm' sound the Meze 99 may well be what you are looking for. And there are more headphones around with such a signature.
In this review I compare some of the 'warm' headphones.
cal2-comparo.gif

One or more of them might fit your needs.

Note: your (or those of 'reviewers') perception of closed headphones may not be what the plots sometimes seem to tell you. When you do not have a good seal around the ears bass levels may be sorely disappointing. A good seal is paramount for such headphones.

I cannot recommend them myself because they are too warm and 'muddy' to me.
The weird thing is though that if one spends a lot of time exclusively with a 'warm' sound one does get used to it and it sounds 'good' like a comfortable blanket. The blanket one does not need but feels nice none-the-less.

As a pleasantly warm sounding (but not bassy) the Creative Aurvana Live SE, Status Audio CB1, Brainwavz HM5 and perhaps the well built MH40 or Denon AH-D600 are options.
For E.U. residents I might have some interesting and cheap options on offer here.

Last edited:
OP
L

Lucaxr

Yes, both the Meze 99 classics and Noir.
To me these are dark and muddy sounding but have pleasant treble.
The thing is (and this is heresy here) that despite research showing the majority of people preferring a neutral sound with some low bass boost there are plenty of people that like 'warmth' and elevated bass. There are also people that like elevated treble that is piercing to others yet to them gives the idea of 'nicely detailed' and 'airy' sound.

When you are looking for 'warm' sound the Meze 99 may well be what you are looking for. And there are more headphones around with such a signature.
In this review I compare some of the 'warm' headphones.
cal2-comparo.gif

One or more of them might fit your needs.

Note: your (or those of 'reviewers') perception of closed headphones may not be what the plots sometimes seem to tell you. When you do not have a good seal around the ears bass levels may be sorely disappointing. A good seal is paramount for such headphones.

I cannot recommend them myself because they are too warm and 'muddy' to me.
The weird thing is though that if one spends a lot of time exclusively with a 'warm' sound one does get used to it and it sounds 'good' like a comfortable blanket. The blanket one does not need but feels nice none-the-less.

As a pleasantly warm sounding (but not bassy) the Creative Aurvana Live SE, Status Audio CB1, Brainwavz HM5 and perhaps the well built MH40 or Denon AH-D600 are options.
For E.U. residents I might have some interesting and cheap options on offer here.
I'm buying the headphone at the end of the month. I'll probably get the AA 60 use them for a bit and return them if I find the bass a problem. I've never EQ'd headphones but would that help possible elevate the 'thin' bass?

Last edited:

rockrolla

Yes, that's not a easy journey , closed headphones you can drive on your phone that are comfortable, good looking , build to last and with excellent sound it's not going to happen , I would go the Bluetooth options , maybe the new momentum 4 , reviews are good apparently

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I prefer wired over wireless, and want to prioritise sound quality over features...maybe old fashioned in believing wired will always surpass wireless sound quality.
I tried the Sony -XM3 in busy LAX Terminal 1. I could not even hear the salesman talking at me. My friend has tried ALL this stuff and at the time he said those were by far the best for noise cancelling. Sound? OK during my brief demo. As for wired, I did that for years at the gym and running. In the end, I gave up, it's a pain in the @ss. Really I gave up because no earbuds would really stay in my ear, and my over-ears simply took up too much carryon space (and those were the relatively compact Bose QC25; others were all bigger). Eventually after repeated urging I tried my kids AirPods and VOILÀ they stayed in! Got some AirPods Pros for bass seal and noise canceling and transparency mode. Pretty good! Just got AirPods Pro 2 (clunky name :() and wow the noise canceling is even more impressive. I *think* it is adjustable-at work it's nice to reduce background but you DO want to hear coworkers who address you.
- Headphones or earbuds interact with your ear = they are very personal. That interaction is probably a bigger sonic factor than wired versus wireless
- Portable devices generally don't drive wired headphones so great has been my experience. And there is absolutely impedance interaction between the source's headphone circuit and the headphones --> wired may NOT be better. In fact it sucks for high impedance phones like the AKG K240DFs I had, and no portable amp can provide enough voltage drive.
- In my extensively testing friend's experience, and mine, over the ears with a good seal will block more than in-ears. However, this difference is far less than really good active noise cancellation, that trumps over the ears.
- Note "active noise cancellation" may refer just to the speaking microphone, especially for cheaper models.
- Wired without ANC will absolutely sound worse than even Apple Bluetooth with good noise cancelling on subways and buses and trains, and especially on airplanes. Alpine Electronics literally did research showing that background noise shifted listener perception of music from "sweet" towards "sour"-hence noisy vehicles like my old 5.0 Mustang are never as nice to listen to music as my quiet house.

Whatever you get, be sure it is returnable for reasonable return shipping + restocking $$$$$. Even the "best" stuff may not please your brain.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I've never EQ'd headphones but would that help possible elevate the 'thin' bass?

Yes, you can EQ to taste if needed. If that gives more satisfaction than tuned to a specific standard I am all for it.
One can use a standard as a starting point and tune from there if one is not satisfied (for whatever reason)

Top Bottom