• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Going insane looking for the right <500€ headphones

solderdude

Grand Contributor
HD569

my impression of it:

This headphone has deep lows and emphasized bass. For portable applications this may be a welcome asset.
The bass has a ‘boomy’ character though which may put off those seeking ‘hi-fi’ sound.
The HD569 does sound quite dynamic/lively.
The mids have a fairly ‘neutral-ish’ character to it.
The treble is a bit ‘coarse’ as in not very ‘refined’. It is not ‘harsh’ nor ‘sharp’ or sibilant sounding though… just not very refined.
Music that is quite ‘busy’ (lots of instruments at the same time) becomes a bit ‘messy’ and it takes more ‘effort’ to distinguish all instruments.
With better performing headphones this is much easier to do and all instruments are better ‘separated’. It is lacking a bit in this aspect (probably the 3kHz dip).

Probably worth the € 110,- new price, quite comfy.
M50X is probably a slightly better alternative (€ 140,-) in this price range.
Also the SRH-840 (not the A) is in this price-class.

Last edited:

rockrolla

HD569

my impression of it:

This headphone has deep lows and emphasized bass. For portable applications this may be a welcome asset.
The bass has a ‘boomy’ character though which may put off those seeking ‘hi-fi’ sound.
The HD569 does sound quite dynamic/lively.
The mids have a fairly ‘neutral-ish’ character to it.
The treble is a bit ‘coarse’ as in not very ‘refined’. It is not ‘harsh’ nor ‘sharp’ or sibilant sounding though… just not very refined.
Music that is quite ‘busy’ (lots of instruments at the same time) becomes a bit ‘messy’ and it takes more ‘effort’ to distinguish all instruments.
With better performing headphones this is much easier to do and all instruments are better ‘separated’. It is lacking a bit in this aspect (probably the 3kHz dip).

Probably worth the € 110,- new price, quite comfy.
M50X is probably a slightly better alternative (€ 140,-) in this price range.
I won't even dare do discuss the matter with the boss but let's face it , it looks good , it's discreet, doesn't look cheap like the k371 , it's a closed back , the sound isn't perfect but it's pretty decent for certain and it's a headphone for traveling and office to use with the mobile phone, probably for Spotify or tidal and you don't have many alternatives for mobile use with better sound , so for 50 euros I would definitely give a try.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
For € 50,- it would be a great buy with indeed decent sound and build quality, lightweight as well.
However, it may not be what the OP is looking for.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Shure SRH440 for 100 usd. The original version, not the A suffix.

Or better yet a dongle + IEM.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The OP is looking for warm/bassy and over-ear and looked into the SRH1540 (expensive and bassy/warm).
The 840 is warmer than 440
I believe he went for the Austrian Audio Hi-X60 (Oratory seemed to like that one). The rest of the AA headphones is a bit wonky.

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I will second the people who suggested AudioTechnica ATH-M50x (there‘s also the BT version which is wired and wireless, more flexibility). It’s inexpensive and really good. Plenty of bass. Mine endured really well lots of daily use.

Andretti60

I'm going insane doing endless research into headphones.
My use would be at work and public transport (general usage).
It is very difficult to find a “one-size-fits-all” pair of headphones, I gave up many years ago and now I own I don’t know how many of them, basically when I realize none of them are good for that “job” (I mean situation) I look for another pair.

You are talking about “work” (i believe you work in an office and not at home) but you did not specify if you will use them for work (e.g. meetings) or for listening to your own music, or both. Either way, you have to check your company regulations (the infamous Employee Handbook) if there are limitations on the use of headset, especially if it possible to use personal ones or only “approved” one. Usually listening to our own music is allowed, but many personal digital music streaming services are blocked so you’ll have to use your smartphone. The problem with listening to our own music is that the headphone are not connected to the work computer, so you don’t hear what is happening around you (it could be important), it is possible you don’t hear the office telephone ringing, and you do not get audio notifications from your work computer. Even when you are able to hear notifications, you still either have to disconnect the headset from your own device and connect them to your office computer, or switch to a completely different headset.

Public transport is another big issue. Unless you are in a plane or in a boat, where the noise is constant and it is mostly white noise, ANC work wonders, they are great, as long as they are confortabile you can wear them for 10 hours straight making a huge difference on a transoceanic flight, I will never get into a plane without my Bose QC (I have different versions). If you are on a train, underground or bus, the background noise is so high that ANC is useless, even close headset don’t make a big difference, no matter how expensive the headset are, the quality of the music will always be bad. Because of that, and for safety reasons, when I commute by public trans I prefer to be full aware of my surroundings, and I don’t feel comfortable to use headset that look expensive, I just use whatever pods come with my smartphone.

Just my personal experience. Mileage will vary.

cheapmessiah

Suggestions in the Elegia, 1540, DT1770 price range, closed easy to driver quality headphones for travel as well could also be the Neumann NDH20.
The DT700X is half that and more neutral than it is bassy/warm.

SD, do you happen to know if dt770s have he same FR in 32, 80 and 250ohm?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I am just about close to finishing my review for the 32 ohm DT770.

Below 32 ohm vs 250 ohm DT770
DT770 32 vs 250.png

Below the 32 ohm DT770 with stock pleather pads fitted with EDT770V (velour) pads.
purple = EDT 770 V pads, green = orig pleather pads.png

As can be seen most differences appear to come from the pads.

cheapmessiah

Ah, no wonder oratory's eq on the 32ohm make the bass clip.

Top Bottom