• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Going from bookshelves to floorstanders - advice

Willem

Major Contributor
Floor standing speakers are a good and economical way to have more bass from budget speakers. The problem is that the best location in the room for the midrange speakers is often not the best one for bass.
As was already remarked, I have no idea what you mean by midrange slam. Anyway, I would first sit down and do some measuring. Personally my next move after that would be to see if some damping above the transition frequency may be beneficial. After that I would get serious about improving the sound around and below the transition/Schroeder frequency. The two common tools for that are multiple subs, or at least a second one, and dsp rooom equalization.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Floor standing speakers are a good and economical way to have more bass from budget speakers. The problem is that the best location in the room for the midrange speakers is often not the best one for bass.
As was already remarked, I have no idea what you mean by midrange slam. Anyway, I would first sit down and do some measuring. Personally my next move after that would be to see if some damping above the transition frequency may be beneficial. After that I would get serious about improving the sound around and below the transition/Schroeder frequency. The two common tools for that are multiple subs, or at least a second one, and dsp rooom equalization.
I may have to sue you for plagiarizing :D ... I was about to write the same

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Flat on axis 2 way bookshelf speaker will usually have a dip in sound power response around 2khz. That area is where humans are the most sensitive to sound and is most responsible for vocal presence or "slam". The clarity and accuracy of mids can also be compromised by having the same driver playing low bass notes

Example of this is Revel F228Be vs. Revel M126Be

F228Be spinorama

M126Be spinorama

Top Bottom