• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Going for a LCR setup.. and i'm confused.

machinejump

I don't want a fancy surround setup with deep emersion... I just want better dialogue when watching movies/youtube.
My current 2.1 setup is leaving my saying 'what did they just say?' more than my girlfriend appreciates, so thinking a 3.1 setup will make us both happier.

Based on the Review Index seems like my best options are something like the Denon x3600/3700 - but thats like a 9 channel 8k beast, which seems a bit overkill. But I have no clue - so what do you all recommend? And yes my plan on picking up a matching trio of speakers for this.

Thanks in advance.

M

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For that use case, why not go with a smaller model, such as the X1700H? Andrew Robinson had a review up on it recently:

Trell

Major Contributor
I don't want a fancy surround setup with deep emersion... I just want better dialogue when watching movies/youtube.
My current 2.1 setup is leaving my saying 'what did they just say?' more than my girlfriend appreciates, so thinking a 3.1 setup will make us both happier.

Based on the Review Index seems like my best options are something like the Denon x3600/3700 - but thats like a 9 channel 8k beast, which seems a bit overkill. But I have no clue - so what do you all recommend? And yes my plan on picking up a matching trio of speakers for this.

Thanks in advance.

M
I would first look at the speaker setup before buying a new receiver. Much improvements can be had by trying different placements of speakers as well as listening position.

Perhaps your speakers are not that good and better ones are a better use of money?

dshreter

My experience is that it is likely the room, seating location, then speakers in order of importance. Dialogue should be very clear even in stereo, but it can be obscured in an overly reflective room or sitting in a location where room modes are highly reinforced.

If you dont sort that out first, you can be in the same situation after adding a center channel

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you tell us your speaker model and position in the room including height of the tweeters relative to your head when sitting and watching TV? I found when I moved my speakers so the tweeters were at the same height as my ears it made a big difference and audibility of dialogue.

JoachimStrobel

Forum Donor
You could go for an analog Dolby amp from eBay. It will capture the sound meant for the center and amplify that to your liking. Works with 2 channel sources. The newer versions had an active “search” matrix, for the older version you have to carefully adjust the balance knob.
PS: I could sell you an old Parasound PSP1000 for that.

alex-z

Your AV receiver is the least relevant component when it comes to dialogue clarity.

A huge amount of dialogue clarity problems can be fixed with a moderate amount of absorption on the ceiling + rear wall, and a decent centre channel. I frequently recommend something like a $400 Denon S760H and $350 Emotiva C1+. Also, if you sit close to the rear wall, pull your seating forward.

Top Bottom