• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Going active (using Hypex plate amp FA253)

Holmz

Major Contributor
There are a few posts on the topic… However I’ll ask it again for a specific amplifier/DSP and a generic speaker.

What is the preferred method for going active with some existing speaker(s), for example a generic/theorhetical 3-way?

My thoughts are:
  • Use a Hypex Plate amp like the FA253
    • https://www.hypex.nl/product/fusionamp-fa253/157
      • Which is 250w/250w and 100w for the Woofer/midrange/tweeter respectively.
    • Select cross over points and slopes and implement them in the Hypex
    • Use REW for frequency smoothing, as there are 15 bi-quads per Hypex Core.
  • If one was to hook this up to something like a Lyngdorf with room correction, then would/should I get the system flattened in Hypex? Or just use the Lyngdorf?
    • Skipping the leveling in the Hypex?
    • Or level in the Hypex, and also do any ALLPASS or phase correction work in the Hypex
    • My impression is that Lyngdorf’s Room Perfect does frequency leveling with IIRs, And not a FIR based approach like Dirac (DRC).

Thoughts are appreciated.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately, the preferred method is:
  • Take them outside on a windless day (assuming you don't have access to an anechoic chamber or Klippel NFS).
  • Take measurements of each drive units in the cabinet, at least 180deg horizontal in 5-10deg intervals, and ±30deg vertical in the same intervals
  • Depending on the size/complexity of the bass alignment, you will want to supplement with nearfield measurements or ground plane measurements and work out the splice
  • Import your measurements into a simulator (VituixCAD is very good; Boxsim is another I've heard good things about but have never used)
  • Design your filters
  • Import your filters
  • Listen
  • Repeat the last three steps until you're happy or you give up

Top Bottom