• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GoDogGo Fetch Machine

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I love this.

It may not be a cure for cancer, but it sure brings joy to the world. Maybe more joy for the dog than the owners.

Not sure how well it works for dogs that aren't gun dogs / retrievers. My greyhound would be all about chasing the ball, but past behavior indicates he wouldn't bring it back.

BTW, what does this say about our technological and economic development that we can devote precious economic resources on automating the game of 'fetch' for dogs?

I hope the inventor makes millions.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
NO.... Tell me it ain't real! It is like buying a machine to consume ice cream for you! Throwing a ball and having a dog fetch it is joy for the owner. Why get rid of that?

Silly human.

The forthcoming AI overlords can please a dog better than you.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Do they make a machine that picks up the shit in the mornings...

The human need to domesticate animals for selfish emotional reassurance and domination has always bothered me. It's basically kidnap and then we think the animals love us when in fact they are suffering from Stockholm syndrome.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Do they make a machine that picks up the shit in the mornings...

The human need to domesticate animals for selfish emotional reassurance and domination has always bothered me. It's basically kidnap and then we think the animals love us when in fact they are suffering from Stockholm syndrome.

That's so last 150 years.

The human need to domesticate animals was for:

1. Food.

2. Labor. From draft horses to sheep dogs.

3. Transportation.

4. War.

Domestication of animals was a necessary technology until we got to the industrial revolution and beyond.

You wouldn't be typing on a computer now if that "human need to domesticate animals" hadn't been met by your ancestors.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
That's so last 150 years.

The human need to domesticate animals was for:

1. Food.

2. Labor. From draft horses to sheep dogs.

3. Transportation.

4. War.

Domestication of animals was a necessary technology until we got to the industrial revolution and beyond.

You wouldn't be typing on a computer now if that "human need to domesticate animals" hadn't been met by your ancestors.
The human need to domesticate animals for selfish emotional reassurance and domination..

So domestication of animals that aren't function driven. These animals or pets are subject to a divorce from their nature and smothered in a blanket of human transference.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The human need to domesticate animals for selfish emotional reassurance and domination..

So domestication of animals that aren't function driven. These animals or pets are subject to a divorce from their nature and smothered in a blanket of human transference.

My cat kills gophers and brings them into the house where he bites off the top of their skulls and eats their brains.

He doesn't seem very divorced from his nature...

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
My cat kills gophers and brings them into the house where he bites off the top of their skulls and eats their brains.

He doesn't seem very divorced from his nature...
Cats seem to cope better when it comes to maintaining their nature.. Some do but some don't . Iv known 'house cats' that have never ventured outside the front door who are scared of anything that moves. Rendered a shadow of themselves by over domestication.

The reason these where kept inside, owner did not won't the worry of them running off for days at a time as cats often do or having to clean up bird guts. So pure human selfishness basically divorcing the cat from its nature.

Not forgetting it's fairly common if not mandatory to remove a cats ability to procreate , the reason for this is often sited by the own as being so the are ' more cuddly ' ' less likely to hunt' etc etc etc ( all sounds rather selfish on the part of the human)

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
@Thomas savage this is supposed to be in the "Fun Topics" section, not "let's turn a thread about an unbearably happy dog chasing a toy into a depressing group therapy session."

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
@Thomas savage this is supposed to be in the "Fun Topics" section, not "let's turn a thread about an unbearably happy dog chasing a toy into a depressing group therapy session."
It's basically kidnap and then we think the animals love us when in fact they are suffering from Stockholm syndrome.

That was ment to inspire a level of amusement as well as being a half reasonable show of the absurdity of humans ( also amusing To me anyhow) .

You chose to size on it and initiate argument.. Then I got caught explaining, a bad habit I confess but then the discussion dynamic had taken hold.

Your harrowing tale of cats eating gopher brains was particularly unsettling given I was raised on this.., ( joke)

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
It's basically kidnap and then we think the animals love us when in fact they are suffering from Stockholm syndrome.

I have a very different view of animals, given that starting at age 12 I grew up on a dairy farm and regularly hunt:

1. I don't think animals love us. This is pure anthropomorphic human fantasy.

2. Nature is brutal. Death, starvation, disease, drought, cold -- life is often nasty, brutish, and short, even for animals at the top of the food chain. I've seen a wild mustang colt taken down by coyotes. It is not quick or merciful. I've seen emaciated cougars with their hair falling out due to starvation and malnutrition during a drought.

It's pure idealistic fantasy to think that most domesticated pets would have a higher quality of life if they were "free".

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think if we want to worry about animals, the part where we eat them should take priority to domesticating them. :)

Every time I walk our dogs and hold on to their leash I feel bad about not letting them run free. Then I watch them with their amazing jaws and teeth choosing to not bite my head off and instead lick me. Or try to sniff my mouth like they did with their mother's (to get regurgitated food).

Watchnerd is also right. Our dog had an issue that we took her to the vet. She said she may need an operation for something that was natural. I asked her what would happen in the wild given that there is no option of operation. Her answer was that they would die!

Anyway, let's stop here and move on to the fun aspect of this toy. In my case, our dogs have almost no interest in fetching anything. Nor have almost any interest in any toy! They are both that way so I am thinking it is genetic and a function of their breed.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I have a very different view of animals, given that starting at age 12 I grew up on a dairy farm and regularly hunt:

1. I don't think animals love us. This is pure anthropomorphic human fantasy.

2. Nature is brutal. Death, starvation, disease, drought, cold -- life is often nasty, brutish, and short, even for animals at the top of the food chain. I've seen a wild mustang colt taken down by coyotes. It is not quick or merciful. I've seen emaciated cougars with their hair falling out due to starvation and malnutrition during a drought.

It's pure idealistic fantasy to think that most domesticated animals would have a higher quality of life if they were "free".
They simply would not exsists my freind , pure and simple.

I too was bought up rurally , right next to a dirty farm ( from birth) with cats ripping off rat heads left and centre.. Crows poking out sheep eyes etc etc we used to look after rejected or orphaned lambs and iv gone lambing too.

My original quip ( that's all it was) had nothing to do with Labradors running free. You've run off with a idea your battling some animal idealist, your not. I just find humans keeping pets Intresting,a little peculiar and in some ways potentially amusing. though it's a social norm and indeed we had cats , fish, dogs, hamsters etc when growing up.

There really was no 'higher' mission to my original statement, just Labradors suffering from Stockholm syndrome seemed both possibly true and amusing. The absurdity of the normal if you like, there's amusement in that. @watchnerd I'd happily go hunting with you, if that's what your worried about :D

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I think if we want to worry about animals, the part where we eat them should take priority to domesticating them. :)

Every time I walk our dogs and hold on to their leash I feel bad about not letting them run free. Then I watch them with their amazing jaws and teeth choosing to not bite my head off and instead lick me. Or try to sniff my mouth like they did with their mother's (to get regurgitated food).

Watchnerd is also right. Our dog had an issue that we took her to the vet. She said she may need an operation for something that was natural. I asked her what would happen in the wild given that there is no option of operation. Her answer was that they would die!

Anyway, let's stop here and move on to the fun aspect of this toy. In my case, our dogs have almost no interest in fetching anything. Nor have almost any interest in any toy! They are both that way so I am thinking it is genetic and a function of their breed.
Our springer spaniel used to fetch the ball, return it but half way back drop it and look at you like your waiting in the wrong place... That's on dry land...

In water she would fetch it , unless you threw it more than five yards ..., then she would look at you like, ' what the hell you do that for' as if I randomly threw it for no reason. Absolving her from the responsibility of the failure to fetch it..

In that way she was very human :D

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
We had a cat, boris ( named after boris Becker) he was a total arsehole.

Our springer ( polly) was very sociable and in those days ( when I was a child circa 1990) in the evenings the family used to be watching the tv together in the lounge .. Boris ( the arsehole) would sit in the door way of the lounge with the express intention of trapping polly out of the lounge. The dog would whine and moan as it was scared of the cat and dared not pass the threshold..

This was a nightly event..

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

What breed of dogs do you have?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What breed of dogs do you have?
Samoyed.

Here is the male after chewing up my Audioquest Jitterbug:
Hachi afer AQ Jitter bug 20150912_080753.jpg

Top Bottom