• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

God is real

David Harper

For over a year I've been doing intermittent fasting. I eat once a day and nothing at all for the other 23 hours. I lost about ten lbs. from doing this but I was already pretty thin to start with (my BMI is 23-24). I'm 5' 10" and 160 lbs. I didn't do it to lose weight but to see if it offered any other benefits.
I exercise everyday both resistance and cardio ( on a bike). I'm an old guy.
The difference I notice is the way I generally feel. I feel happier most of the time. It occurred to me that the way Americans eat is unnatural. Most of us eat too much and too often. I did a lot of research about this what's interesting is for 100,000 years of evolution when humans got hungry they had to go out and kill something. If you or I had to do that we'de be eating a lot less often. Maybe once a day?
Another thing I learned is when our body isn't digesting food our metabolism re-directs it's activity to other things like eliminating toxins, burning fat, replacing old cells with new ones, and a bunch of other stuff. It is now thought that we were never designed to eat more or less constantly the way most Americans do today.
Anthropologists who studied primitive cultures (hunter-gatherers) say that obesity, heart disease, type two diabetes, etc. are virtually unknown in these societies. The same diseases that are prevalent in America today. Also, obviously, those people don't have McDonalds.
Also I quit eating garbage. Sugar, fast food, donuts, candy, cookies, cake, soda, etc.
This wasn't nearly as hard to do as I thought it would be. At first it was tough, but I quickly got used to it and now it's no problem at all. I do have an issue with alcohol I drink straight vodka in water. I never get drunk and I strictly limit the amount I drink by measuring it accurately with a one-ounce measuring cup.
I chose vodka after reading that it was one of the only drinks that doesn't contain any garbage in it (gluten, carbs, sugar, etc.) An interesting thing is that there's never a hangover from vodka in water. (If you start mixing with crap like soda, tomatoe juice. orange juice etc. then all bets are off).
Apparently it's not alcohol that causes a hangover it's all the other stuff that people mix with it. Vodka only contains two molecules; H2o and ethyl alcohol. I want to continue to blabber on and on about all this but in the interest of not boring the reader I'll end it here.

RHO

Major Contributor
I did a lot of research about this what's interesting is for 100,000 years of evolution when humans got hungry they had to go out and kill something. If you or I had to do that we'de be eating a lot
Yeah, and they died before they were 30 yo.
Good thinking!

Intermittent fasting only works because you eat less calories. You can do that by eating 5 meals a day or by eating one meal a day.
Anthropologists who studied primitive cultures (hunter-gatherers) say that obesity, heart disease, type two diabetes, etc. are virtually unknown in these societies. The same diseases that are prevalent in America today

Maybe they were just generally more active and weren't over-feeding themselves?

doesn't contain any garbage in it (gluten, carbs, sugar, etc.)
Yeah, you try surviving without that garbage.
But leaving alcohol out of your diet? No way!!!

:facepalm:

Loathecliff

Why is this? I just don't understand. Surely
The logistic L that needs to be eaten
Can't be that costly for a transition
?

One hopes an opus in progress Tks?

David Harper

Good thinking!

Intermittent fasting only works because you eat less calories. You can do that by eating 5 meals a day or by eating one meal a day.

Maybe they were just generally more active and weren't over-feeding themselves?

Yeah, you try surviving without that garbage.

:facepalm:
They didn't die at thirty from heart disease. They died at thirty from getting killed out on the glacier while hunting a wooly mammoth. And from not having dentists or health care.

"maybe they were just more active and not overfeeding themselves"
you make my point for me.

"try surviving without that garbage"
huh????? WTF are you talking about? Do you have any idea? I've been surviving without that garbage for over a year.

"Intermittent fasting only works because you're eating less calories"
re-read my post. I said I WASN'T doing it to lose weight. I was eating all the calories I wanted in one meal a day.

Last edited:

mansr

Major Contributor
"try surviving without that garbage"
huh????? WTF are you talking about? Do you have any idea? I've been surviving without that garbage for over a year.
It's not healthy for humans to not eat any carbohydrates at all.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good thinking!
Actually life expectancy is calculated from a baby born on average how long they would live. In the stone age this was severely reduced by infant deaths. If you take those out of account, such as the case of adults making diet changes here, after they reached 15 years old, life expectancy in the paleolithic was 54 years on average.

I also fast but no way I am leaving my craft beer out! :D

RHO

Major Contributor
Actually life expectancy is calculated from a baby born on average how long they would live. In the stone age this was severely reduced by infant deaths. If you take those out of account, such as the case of adults making diet changes here, after they reached 15 years old, life expectancy in the paleolithic was 54 years on average.
Yeah, I exaggerated a bit.
But you get my point. (I hope)
It's not that our dietary changes over the past millennia have decreased our life expectancy. Maybe it did in the USA and UK these past decades. But that's not because of a lack of quality but because of the sheer abundance of it (and amount of energy/volume)

I also fast but no way I am leaving my craft beer out! :D
I don't get why people are so adamant about leaving alcohol in their diet when trying to apply a healthy lifestyle in everything else they do.
The first thing you should do is delete the alcohol. Then start thinking about the rest.

Last edited:

RHO

Major Contributor
You listed carbs, gluten and sugar as garbage. So you are saying carbs, gluten and sugar are bad for you and you don't eat any?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't get why people are so adamant about leaving alcohol in their diet when trying to apply a healthy lifestyle in everything else they do.
The first ting you should do is delete the alcohol. Then start thinking about the rest.
Priorities. I would rather leave out eating pasta and bread during the week and save some calories for the craft beer. :)

RHO

Major Contributor
Priorities. I would rather leave out eating pasta and bread during the week and save some calories for the craft beer. :)
They don't work the same way. Alcohol is not the same as carbs.

David Harper

You listed carbs, gluten and sugar as garbage. So you are saying carbs, gluten and sugar are bad for you and you don't eat any?

gluten and sugar are bad for you and I don't eat any.
carbs are necessary for survival I'm just not getting them from alcohol.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They don't work the same way. Alcohol is not the same as carbs.
Exactly, it tastes a lot better! :D
Just kidding, I know.

RHO

Major Contributor
Sugar are carbs. They digest a little different but in essence they are the same. Carbs and alcohol work completely different.
And no, gluten is not bad for you. They are quite healthy actually.

mansr

Major Contributor
Gluten is bad for you if you have coeliac disease. Otherwise it's just another protein. Sugar is fine in moderate amounts.

Obviously not since alcohol isn't a carbohydrate. Now if you're going to drink the alcohol either way, I see no harm in getting some carbohydrates along with it in the form of beer.

RHO

Major Contributor
It's actually more healthy to have carbs with your alcohol because of the insuline response of the body to alcohol.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is your scale calibrated to a known reference though?.
Seriously, I used to calibrate medical scales and a 10% drift in an afternoon was bit uncommon:)

RHO

Major Contributor
Seriously, I used to calibrate medical scales and a 10% drift in an afternoon was bit uncommon:)
I step on calibrated scales before competition and I'm always 1kg light compared to my scales at home. So you're telling me I don't sweat out 1L of water on the way to the comp?:oops: All the re-hydration efforts for nothing ...:(:p

Katji

Major Contributor
It's not healthy for humans to not eat any carbohydrates at all.

"Our grain-based bodies." (I can't find the actual text/quote.)
There are times/periods when it is better to avoid eating grains.
I fast from grains every 2 weeks or so, moon cycles, for the past 20 years or so. It took a long time for me to get used to it. Only trying it seriously shows you how dependent we are on grains.
Major thing in the development of humans. Civilisation develops when societies can produce some surplus of grains.

Top Bottom