• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Go on, recommend me some headphones

• Thread starter Deleted member 4987
  • Start date

margrave

I think there's confusion here.

Most of you took "70 dB" to mean the amount of isolation. That's what I thought the OP meant, too.

But now I think he means that he wants to block extraneous background noise so that a noise at 70 dB (would that be 70 dBA, or some other absolute scale?) should be inaudible.

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks for all the suggestions. When I say I want to block 70dB of noise I obviously don't mean completely! Just enough to enjoy my music in a non-critical way.
Still the same answer, I'm afraid. Good noise cancelling headphones or IEMs.

OP
D

Deleted member 4987

Well then recommend some as you seem to be an expert.

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
Well then recommend some as you seem to be an expert.
No need to be defensive. Sony WH-900N might be a good choice. Not as expensive as the higher end NC headphones. But they still are a bit above $100.
When I got my MDR-1000x they didn't exist. I do a lot of traveling by train and air, so good noise cancelling are a must. The 1000x are really good. The noise from the airplane just fades a bit into the background and the music takes center stage. Same goes when I travel by train, the noise from it just fades away leaving you in a nice relaxed bubble with your favorite music.

OP
D

Deleted member 4987

Well obviously when I asked for headphones with a 100€ budget I knew that I was going to be told I needed to spent 200€, I'm not as old as I'm cabbage looking. Feel free to fritter my money away up to that. Not being defensive, interesting between passive and active isolation...I had no idea...but need some concrete selections before I just buy something from one of those shill sites

garbulky

Major Contributor
Well obviously when I asked for headphones with a 100€ budget I knew that I was going to be told I needed to spent 200€, I'm not as old as I'm cabbage looking. Feel free to fritter my money away up to that. Not being defensive, interesting between passive and active isolation...I had no idea...but need some concrete selections before I just buy something from one of those shill sites
At a $100 there's not a whole lot of worthwhile deals that you just can't find by looking on amazon and the reviews. So I just suggest doing that.

DKT88

get some earbuds and put an $8 pair of hearing protection ear muffs over them when you need isolation

Webninja

Forum Donor
Sennheiser PXC 550. $220 on Amazon in the US, they are my house chores and travel headphones. They are very comfortable, last for hours on a charge, and you can find tune the amount of noise blocking. I use them for audiobooks, podcast, and not so serious music listening.

Yes, out of your budget, but they do cover lots of your needs for a reasonable price.

beeface

I recommend checking out a brick-and-mortar retail store that has demonstrator models of the Bose QuietComfort 35 II and/or Sony WH-1000XM3 set up. Ideally, I would also recommend checking out the more affordable options from Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, AKG, JBL, et al. for sake of comparison. At first they'll probably be playing some silly demo tracks through them, but you can easily pair them to your phone via Bluetooth and listen to your own music. Beyond being able to make a brief, subjective assessment of the sound quality, it's entirely worthwhile just to see if you find them comfortable on your head, and to experience the control interface for yourself. If you're lucky, the store will be noisy and you can test out the noise cancelling capabilities.

Once you've experienced them for yourself - even in a store environment - you'll probably have a better understanding as to whether the more expensive models are worth the extra cash or not.

Personally: I was gifted the QuietComfort 35s just over a year ago, and I think it's a brilliant product. I understand that a lot of audio forum type people would scoff at the idea of buying a Bose product - understandable, when you look at the most of their current offerings - but these are an exception. I mostly use them on my commute to and from work, but also use them fairly frequently around my apartment and yard.

To my ears, they sound pretty great. There are probably other Bluetooth ANC headphones that sound better, and there are undoubtedly corded closed-back traditional passive headphones that sound better (in a controlled, quiet environment).

But the thing I've come to appreciate about them over the past year or so, is that even if there are other headphones on the market that are cheaper, or are better in one particular area, the QC35s are great simply because they're good at everything. The decisions that were made in the product design process were so well-balanced in terms of trade offs. There isn't anything about them I would change if it meant that there were sacrifices to make in terms of battery life, comfort, build quality, ergonomics, requiring a cord, etc.

The only real weakness imo is practically inherent to over-ear headphone designs. It gets very hot and humid during an Australian summer, and I'd rather wear IEMs during these months.

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
Personally: I was gifted the QuietComfort 35s just over a year ago, and I think it's a brilliant product.
To my ears, they sound pretty great. There are probably other Bluetooth ANC headphones that sound better, and there are undoubtedly corded closed-back traditional passive headphones that sound better (in a controlled, quiet environment).
The Bose is good, and every "high-end" ANC seems to have drawbacks. No one is perfect.
Mine sound better than the Bose but the mic is unusable outside.

UWinWithWin

Not that you need more suggestions, but if you go with active noise cancellation, keep in mind that you may experience a “pressure” when the active cancellation is on. I have used the Sony WH-1000M3, but I ended up returning them because I disliked the pressure on my ear drums with active noise cancellation. I personally prefer IEM if you want actual sound reduction.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Buy a decent one second hand one or increase your budget.

Cheap headphones are just that and it means they skimped on one or more things you may be looking for.

Hugo9000

If you're in the United States or newegg ships to your country, you could keep an eye on the KEF Space One (wired version, NOT wireless), which has gone down to $99 new many times since Black Friday of 2018, when I bought my pair. They are closed-back headphones with active noise cancellation, but also provide decent isolation even with NC turned off. Similar sound in the midrange and highs to my Sennheiser HD 58X, but with extended and 'tight' bass. I mostly listen to classical music, but the KEFs are very good with all other genres I have tested them with, such as rock, heavy metal, doo-wop, jazz, etc. I use the Sennheisers a bit more, but mostly because they are lighter. The only fatigue from the KEFs is from the weight over long listening sessions, not from the drivers themselves. I don't use the noise cancellation other than to test it, as I listen in a quiet home most of the time.

The wired version was originally around $400, but KEF has replaced it with a wireless version, hence the numerous sales as low as $99 on the original version. They are solidly built, but I'm very easy on all of my possessions, so I couldn't say how they respond to being tossed about casually lol. This headphone is part of KEF's partnership with Porsche Design. Right now I see that the listing on newegg shows them shipping from KEF Direct, at the $399.99 price point. When newegg has them in stock themselves, they've been going down to $99 or $129.

32 Ohm input impedance, easy to drive. My phone can power them, but I also have the SMSL iDEA which provides more power than the headphones would ever need.

bravomail

AKG K550-K553 can be had refurbished/used for around 100. Audiotechnica M40x is another choice. Those are wired over-the-ear closed headphones, which will provide noise isolation, but not cancellation. Monoprice 8323 are very decent headphones if you pair them with HM5 earpads. Your Galaxy S7 phone could have very decent DAC if it is Exynos based, you are European so there is a very big chance that it is Exynos based S7, so no need to upgrade it. I'm against Bluetooth unless you drive a car, then u get handsfree calls convenience. As for Android Players - I use AIMP, it can build custom playslists or just load all your songs into 1 playlist, sorted by folder name, not by stupid tags.

bravomail

I tried QC35 in store. Didn't like them. They don't sound good. They sound muffled.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Audio-Technica ATH7MSR NC can be picked up pretty cheaply nowadays. They sound pretty much the same as the standard ATH7MSR which means excellent detail and clarity, they're on the bright side of neutral (but not that bright), some say they're bass light but I prefer to think of them as being nicely balanced and not bass heavy. The noise cancelling isn't great but it does make a significant difference to the sort of constant background noise found on aircraft. They're nicely made and feel a cut above most NC models just in terms of build quality I think. The big drawback for some is they're wired.

OP
D

Deleted member 4987

So, I went into my a few of my local electrical goods shops and had a listen, obviously the shops were pushing Bose, Sony and Beats as these were the only ones you could actually listen to before buying. Unfortunately the music was the usual r'n'b fare, so pretty difficult to get an idea of the sound.

I was pretty impressed by the noise cancelling, and ended up choosing on features and comfort, notably codecs and a decent case. The budget didn't hold up and I ended up with the Sony WH1000xm3. Unbelievably one shop wouldn't give me a 40€ discount that was advertised because it was 2 days out of date...they let me walk out and get it for the same price delivered from the U.K. by you know who.

After a week's use I'm absolutely delighted with how they perform in public transport, I'm actually looking forward to my commute at the moment. And no one's asked me for money all week, lucky as I don't have any now.

Thanks for all your comments and help.

Top Bottom