• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Go on, recommend me some headphones

• Thread starter Deleted member 4987
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4987

I haven't worn any kind of phones for many, many years but thought I'd like to try using my streaming service when I'm out and about on the Parisian metro; usually a couple of hours per day with work.

Well, the world of headphones has changed since I last listened like that. I thought it would be easy to walk into a shop and pick one out, but the choice is horrendous.

I don't want to spend much 100€ max, as I'm not even sure I'll enjoy the experience. I looked at Bluetooth but it seems I might not get what I want on my budget.

I'd like something that blocks out the 70dB background noise, doesn't bleed noise. I don't want anything too bass heavy, it must be solid enough to be in and out of my bag all day. Light and comfortable too, and I wear glasses.

I'll be streaming Qobuz or stuff stored locally from my Samsung s7 which has aptX through developer's menu (don't know if it does anything). I'll be changing this in the summer when the contract runs out to an s9. I've heard that Samsung phones are not the best for audio but that's fine as I have a pretty decent home system, so not interested in getting external dacs.

My listening tastes are eclectic most stuff except classical, lots of jazz fusion at the moment.

Give me some options, please.

MrC

Would you be open to IEMs also?

Although I am not a huge lover of IEMs for comfort, lately I have been able to try out a bunch of them and some offer some really decent quality under $100. They also have pretty decent isolation.

My favourites under $100 so far have been the Tin Audio T2 (the non-pro version) which actually cost me under $30!

If you want over ear or on ear, rather than IEM, then I have a lot less experience. My favourite of the ones I have tried under $100 are still the M40x, but I upgraded the pads which took them over the 100 mark.

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you can stretch your budget just a little more, I would recommend the wireless AKG K 845 BT. They cost 149€ in Finland and I got them around 120€ new from a recent sale. They sound pretty good, isolate decently well and only minus is a slight bass boost for my taste, which could be EQd out.

https://www.whathifi.com/akg/k845bt/review

OP
D

Deleted member 4987

I have to confess I don't want in ear things, should've mentioned that. I'll check out the AKGs. Was looking at the Sennheiser hd 4.40 bt ...any thoughts?

MrC

I haven't heard them myself but the Creative Aurvana Live get a lot of praise and recommendations.

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
I'd like something that blocks out the 70dB background noise, doesn't bleed noise. I don't want anything too bass heavy, it must be solid enough to be in and out of my bag all day. Light and comfortable too, and I wear glasses.
That whole sentence is a oxymoron in it self.

Blocking noise: Noise cancelling headphones
light: not with a battery and electronics.
I don't want to spend much 100€ max
Not going to happen, unless you get IEMs
Most good headsets with active noise cancelling is a lot more.

A surprisingly good headphone is the Cooler Master MH751/752, but it's wired.

So you have a few decisions to make:
  1. bigger budget?
  2. wireless?
  3. Noise cancelling?
  4. Noise isolation?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd like something that blocks out the 70dB background noise, doesn't bleed noise.
Can any passive isolating closed back cans isolate well enough in this sort of environment? Or are IEM or active NC the only option? A quick look at rtings isolation measurements suggests no chance.

I use IEMs for commuting, once you have found some foam tips that work for you I find them very comfortable. Taking them in and out quickly is the only real drawback.

MrC

Can any passive isolating closed back cans isolate well enough in this sort of environment? Or are IEM or active NC the only option?

If you are aiming for 100% silence without any music playing, then probably not. However, I can play music at lowish volumes on the M40x (and the CSP) and not hear anything happening around me (not always good!).

As for the leak, well, I am not on the outside but my office companion hates any kind of noise (especially music) and hasn't complained, then again, I don't really listen to music very loudly through headphones (most of the time).

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

DKT88

That whole sentence is a oxymoron in it self.

Blocking noise: Noise cancelling headphones

Not going to happen, unless you get IEMs
Most good headsets with active noise cancelling is a lot more.

A surprisingly good headphone is the Cooler Master MH751/752, but it's wired.

So you have a few decisions to make:
  1. bigger budget?
  2. wireless?
  3. Noise cancelling?
  4. Noise isolation?
Good analysis of the conflicting requirements.

MrC

Are you talking about in an office or on noisy transport? They don't seem to block any low frequency noise in the following test.
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/audio-technica/ath-m40x#comparison_2088

I have used them plenty of times on a plane and don't have any complaints, not as good as IEMs but still tolerable, or maybe I have just spent so many hours on planes that I have become immune to the drone :D

(The only other transport I use is car and motorbike, neither of which are really suitable for headphone use ;) )

maxxevv

Major Contributor

Doesn't exist. Nothing without active noise cancelling goes beyond -40dB.

MrC

Looking on the internet, it seems that 70dB is commonly referred to as a vacuum cleaner (I could have sworn a vacuum was over 70dB but obviously not), in which case, I totally agree that I can still hear it with the M40x (and the CSP) at my usual listening volumes. If I turn the volume up to "high" then I can no longer hear the vacuum cleaner but I will probably not be able to hear anything if I keep the volume at that level for long!

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking on the internet, it seems that 70dB is commonly referred to as a vacuum cleaner (I could have sworn a vacuum was over 70dB but obviously not), in which case, I totally agree that I can still hear it with the M40x (and the CSP) at my usual listening volumes. If I turn the volume up to "high" then I can no longer hear the vacuum cleaner but I will probably not be able to hear anything if I keep the volume at that level for long!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it depends on the frequencies. If you listen to music having the same frequencies as your vacuum cleaner, then you won't hear it if the music is set at more than 70dB. If your music doesn't have those frequencies, you'll here the vacuum cleaner.

When someone says that a house noise floor is around 40dB, it is not true for all frequencies. You might hear music sounds at 30dB if their frequencies aren't the same as the ones in the noise floor. I guess!

ProFan

I’ve made my choice watching BR “My live stories” by Susan Wong, and don't regret. Susan herself and some other musicians in Nashville studio use Audiotechnica ATH-50x ones for that pretty good (sound quality wise) recording ...
It is probably the best sounding record (blue ray version) of her performance, and in sound quality comparable with other best records in my collection.

Last edited:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To get anywhere near 70db isolation, at any frequency, you need some kinda crazy setup like wearing noise canceling headphones on top of -40db rated earplugs or IEMs. The best noise canceling or isolating IEMs can get you to around -30db average, -40 to -50 in the upper mid to treble range.

It's honestly materials and construction that adds weight more than battery and electronics. I mean, HD650s are 260g but Bose QC35 II are 234g. And HD650s are definitely on the lighter side for full size over-ear headphones. Even the Sony WH-1000XM3 is only about 254g, and it's probably the best overall noise canceling over-ear headphone you can buy short of something crazy like the AKG N90Q.

The biggest problem with isolating over-ears is cost. You'll lose a solid 10db of isolation going from the top Bose/Sony options to reasonably priced things like the Senn HD 4.50BTNC. There isn't much out there with substantial isolation and decent sound quality at the 100€ mark, especially if you're avoiding IEMs. The reason the QC35 and WH-1000XM3 are so widely recommended despite their ~300€ price is because there genuinely isn't anything that can come close to their performance for less.

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
The biggest problem with isolating over-ears is cost. You'll lose a solid 10db of isolation going from the top Bose/Sony options to reasonably priced things like the Senn HD 4.50BTNC. There isn't much out there with substantial isolation and decent sound quality at the 100€ mark, especially if you're avoiding IEMs. The reason the QC35 and WH-1000XM3 are so widely recommended despite their ~300€ price is because there genuinely isn't anything that can come close to their performance for less.
This, and that's why I have a pair of IEMs (T2) and a pair of the old MDR-1000x for traveling.

OP
D

Deleted member 4987

Thanks for all the suggestions. When I say I want to block 70dB of noise I obviously don't mean completely! Just enough to enjoy my music in a non-critical way.

Top Bottom