• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GM to roll out car without steering wheel in 2019!!!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It will be limited to dedicate routes but it is remarkable that we are almost there: http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/01...ls-autonomous-car-with-no-steering-wheel.html

General Motors reveals autonomous car with no steering wheel

General Motors is looking to reinvent the wheel, by building a car without a steering wheel, pedals or gear selector, because it doesn’t need them.

The automaker on Friday revealed images of an autonomous car it’s hoping to put into production by 2019 and is petitioning the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration for permission to do so.

If approved, it will likely be the first production vehicle of its kind to hit the road, two years before a similar proposal from Ford.

Based on the Chevy Bolt, the electric Cruise AV will initially be employed in a ride-hailing capacity and operate within a pre-determined, well-mapped ‘geo-fenced’ area, so it won’t be entirely off the leash.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am confident our kids will at some point be using these cars. I wonder though, if they start introducing them, then lets say you are behind one, and it is coming to an intersection, and it sees that cross traffic is stopped, then it sees a car on the right "creep" forward say a few inches, will it then automatically throw on the brakes, so the human operated car following collides with the computer operated car? A human does not react as fast and would probably not notice the "creep" or if they did not be able to or even react right away, knowing that the car is just creeping and then there would not be a collision.

I guess I am saying how will these computer driven cars and the rest of us human driven cars get along during this transition time? Will we human operators be fast enough?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am confident our kids will at some point be using these cars. I wonder though, if they start introducing them, then lets say you are behind one, and it is coming to an intersection, and it sees that cross traffic is stopped, then it sees a car on the right "creep" forward say a few inches, will it then automatically throw on the brakes, so the human operated car following collides with the computer operated car? A human does not react as fast and would probably not notice the "creep" or if they did not be able to or even react right away, knowing that the car is just creeping and then there would not be a collision.
We rode in a Tesla in its automated way. We got to one of the busiest and messiest marges here between two freeways (520 and 405). I was shocked how aggressive it was in speeding through the junction in a situation similar to what you are mentioning. My friend that was the owner did not even blink while I was holding on the handle bar! We got through it though.

I think the case for safety that is being made is that even though we will see horrific accidents, with these cars, at the end of the day they have far more "eyes" on the road than we as a collective have. Their mind sans bugs, doesn't wonder, doesn't get inattentive, or misjudge.

BTW, the rate of progress means that many of us will be using these cars in 5 years or less! There is a gold rush here for companies to create patents, start-ups to sell and get rich, not fall behind other companies etc. And computing power is helping it out as is sensor technology (see the LIDAR miniaturization above).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I guess I am saying how will these computer driven cars and the rest of us human driven cars get along during this transition time?

My goal is to make one rage at me.

Wombat

Master Contributor
H

I guess I am saying how will these computer driven cars and the rest of us human driven cars get along during this transition time? Will we human operators be fast enough?

Intuition is part of the skill of driving e.g. 'reading' the eye movements and body language of pedestrians and drivers, also other vehicle small movements, allowing some prescience and anticipation about their possible actions. I don't know if this is covered in the autonomous vehicle.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Intuition is part of the skill of driving e.g. 'reading' the eye movements and body language of pedestrians and drivers, also other vehicle small movements, allowing some prescience and anticipation about their possible actions. I don't know if this is covered in the autonomous vehicle.
I think it is counteracted with hyper accurate measurement of distance and knowledge of how fast the car can or is coming to a stop.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I can't find any videos of autonomous car testing in India.

Oh...

India is resisting the push towards driverless cars in order to protect jobs, its transport minister has said.

Nitin Gadkari said the government would "not allow any technology that takes away jobs".

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40716296

Last edited:
Top Bottom