• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GLM vs Dirac for phase/timing corrections in 2.0 setup

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
Hi all,

I am looking to move beyond simple REW/PEQ frequency-domain corrections to my system. I use two-way active monitors and have no intention of adding subs.

I’ve been playing with the Dirac trial and the results achieved in minutes are far better than with the many (many) hours I’ve spent on REW generating PEQ filters. In particular, bass depth and consistency, and stereo image are much improved with Dirac. I’m guessing this might be due to Dirac’s timing/phase correction as the frequency response isn’t that different from my PEQ efforts.

I plan to upgrade my speakers and I’m looking at Genelec 8X40s. I like the idea and convenience of doing DSP in-speaker, but wonder if GLM would work as well as Dirac at sorting both the huge bass peaks and phase/timing problems in my non-ideal, untreated, asymmetric listening (sitting) room.

Does anyone have experience of this?

Many thanks,

James

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've spent many hours comparing the two with my 8351bs. So far Dirac has given me better results, but I've got a few more things I want to try with GLM this week(waiting on another mic stand).

One big difference is that GLM doesn't touch dips, whereas Dirac corrects certain dips, while leaving others alone(not sure how it makes that distinction).

OP
Jas0_0

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
I've spent many hours comparing the two with my 8351bs. So far Dirac has given me better results, but I've got a few more things I want to try with GLM this week(waiting on another mic stand).

One big difference is that GLM doesn't touch dips, whereas Dirac corrects certain dips, while leaving others alone(not sure how it makes that distinction).

Thanks Richard - useful to know. I understand from the REW manual it’s ok to fill dips that are minimum phase, but one should leave those that aren’t - do you think that’s what Dirac is doing?

Would be interested to hear more about your comparisons when you’ve carried out more tests.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Top Bottom